“Looks like old world European hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Seward

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Hotel Seward
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Seward
Irvine, California
“Looks like old world European hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Charming small hotel. My daughter was freaked out by stuffed animals in lobby...The rooms are comfortable. Micro, fridge and coffee maker. Nice soap and shampoo. Quiet and walk to restaurants and bakery. Shuttle service. Recommended.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Not that Seward has a lot to offer in the way of top quality hotels and this was no better, no worse. Rooms were clean, functioning but a little dated. The staff are very pleasant. Food option is OK, varied breakfast menu and open reasonably early but food quality also very average. Handy for the SeaLife Center but a 1 mile+ from Small Boat Harbor where all the activities are based.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

I finally found a "hotel" that inspired me to write a review. "Hotel" Seward is terrible! In America, when you call yourself a hotel, there are certain minimums amenities that are required. If your rooms don't have toilets or showers, you do not have a hotel. If you expect or desire dormitory living (for the price of a hotel room), stay here. If you want a hotel, stay anywhere else.

I immediately brought my displeasure to the front desk at check-in, and they offered me a real hotel room for double the price. My dorm room was already nearly the same price as the Seward Holiday Inn Express, so I wasn't interested in investing any more money in this dump.

I learned a costly lesson. Please don't make the same mistake.

One more "charming" detail that I have to mention is the view from my dorm room window. In the beautiful town of Seward, I got to look out at a wall placed just 4 feet outside my window. I hate this "hotel."

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank RyanAK A
Mary K, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Dear Ryan, From your review- you choose the most economical room at peak season for a price of approx. $100. You cannot rent a room for 100 at any of the modern hotels for 100 at peak season. The room was described to you before you rented this style of room and is view-able on our website. Your choice was to rent the least expensive room with limited amenities in the Historic Wing (side) of the hotel. This Hotel offers 2 Wings the Historic- economical rooms and the Alaska wing with all the amenties. Each have a wide range of rooms- with different amenities. This is to give our guest a choice of price and what amenities they decide they will be comfortable with. It is disheartening that the Hotel as a whole is being represented negatively for keeping available the economical rooms that many people need and enjoy. I have to wonder why did you choose a room on the Historic Wing which is described as smaller rooms, no elevator, 2 single beds, no bathroom- only the use of the shared bath in the hall- if you wanted the upgraded amenities of a hotel? I feel sad that you made the wrong choice for yourself and now want to hurt the hotel for your choice. Sincerely, Mary
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

"Average" rating on our stay as nothing really tipped the scale one way or the other.

Our stay was for two nights, two rooms with view of the parking lot.

Pros:
Convenient location (walking distance to souvenir shops, restaurants, and the Sealife Center)

Clean

1 coin-operated washer/dryer

Hot coffee always available at the front desk

Impressive collection of stuffed wildlife and historical pictures in the lobby

Staff offered to let us come back in the evening (after we had checked out) and after our Kenai Fjords All-Day cruise to shower in the shared-bathroom before we headed off on our 2-hour drive back to Anchorage to board the plane home.

Cons:
Wi-Fi: SIX open connections and NONE worked unless you’re sitting in the lobby; even in the lobby only 1 connection worked. I called the front desk a half dozen times and was told they would reboot the router, then told Apple devices don’t work (even though I tried connecting with FIVE Apple and non-Apple devices), and finally told their IT guy had been out many times recently with no explanation as to why it wasn’t working. So every time I needed to log on for any personal or professional needs I had to go downstairs to the lobby. At different times of the day or night while working in the lobby I heard the front desk apologize to MANY guests about the Wi-Fi. In an age where everything is internet driven, or having to work even while on vacation – the Wi-Fi issue was SO FRUSTRATING!

Parking: Grab your spot before dinner or you won’t get one.

Rooms: The noisiest doors in all the hotels I have ever stayed. The locking machanisms on the doors require you to almost slam them shut.

Restaurant: (Side note to the hotel owners: this restaurant truly has potential!!! Your lack of staff - ONE cook and ONE waitress who also doubles as the hostess and bartender, does NOT cut it. Hire more summer staff and demo some walls to expand your main dining area!)
The prices are comparable to bar food at all the other places we visited on our Alaska travels, but the food is a solid step above those places. The layout of the restaurant is ABSURD. The sitting area is very nice, but the dining area only has about five tables, I believe. Further down the hall I’m assuming what was previously hotel rooms, they added each two tables, chairs, and a small TV and call it a “private dining area”. Those rooms are seemingly uninviting, isolated, and cold – and the waitress simply didn’t have the time to make it back there much. We chose to wait until one of the front room tables cleared and dine in the restaurant due to the prices and the option of having the cook bake (only option) our fresh fish we brought in from that days fishing trip. My daughter did order coconut shrimp off the menu, myself a salad; that food was very good. Our baked fish and side of rice, however, was a real disappointment as it lacked any seasonings or flavor.

Overall, I appreciated the historical aspects and location of this hotel, but my own personal experiences coupled with those I heard from many other guests simply leave a lot to be desired with this hotel.

Best of luck in all your travels!

Room Tip: If you're in the historical side you'll be sharing a bathroom with other rooms.
Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

After reading such a wide scope of good and bad reviews, I chose Hotel Seward because they were pet friendly. The hotel has two distinct styles - the older portion of the property is much like a hostel or boarding house - which is not that uncommon in small/rural Alaskan communities and local travelers are pretty used to it. The newer portion of the property is much like a moderate level hotel - still an older building but has been updated fairly well. You should make sure you ask about which part of the facility your reservation is in and make sure it meets your comfort and cost expectations. My experience was great - the bar is also one of the small dining rooms - the food was fantastic and folks struck up fun conversations with each other - I got to meet some interesting characters. Many of the staff are temporary summer hires from other states (also not uncommon in Alaska), which may account for some of the inconsistent service - but I found everyone friendly and accomodating.

Room Tip: The older portion of the property does not have an elevator.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Scottsdale AZ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

We stayed at Hotel Seward for one night post cruise in August 2013. We made the reservation though Expedia. We emailed the hotel and they offered to pick us up and hold our luggage till check in time, which was really nice.
Staff interactions were all pleasant and appropriate, with an minor exception of the bartender at Ms Genes place who was really hard to get the attention of. She was however clearly quiet busy and pleasant when she was able to get to us.
We stayed in the new area, so we had a private bath. It was fine. Clean but a bit old looking. Beds were nice and comfy. Room was a nice size, with two double/queen beds. We originally booked the room for two and at the last moment our two cousins joined us. The front desk quickly changed it and had no problem with our change. Room was nicely appointed, TV, frig, coffee maker, and even a fan, which one guest was very pleased to see. Room was not noisy. We did look out directly on the parking lot, which was no problem, but the curtains did not quite close. I travel with some safety pins so that was quickly fixed. Our grateful thanks to the owners for investing in the lamps with extra plug for phones etc. I really appreciate those, and they are often not found in older buildings.
Really, the biggest issue was the Wi-Fi. 4 guests, 6 devices attempted, we could never connect at all except in the lobby. That was really frustrating for the internet addicted members of the party. The hotel seems to have a repeater, and had a number of access points, and the guy at the front desk rebooted the router, but we still couldn't connect.
Lobby is cute in an "old Alaska" way, with a mix of Victoriana and taxidermied animals. we paid approximately 150 for the room, which seemed a bit much, but then, I am not used to Alaska prices, in addition to being a cheapskate.
All in all, a nice visit, good people and a comfortable room. Just don't count on the Wi-Fi.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Alaska wing, which means we could get a en suite bath. Also, there are no elevator...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

The owners of this dump really did a fine job of a fraud. They showed the nice photographs of the new rooms (and maybe not all of them) in the web. When I tried to book a room they just told me there were a couple of rooms available. Only when I payed they told me the room was in the old side of the hotel and that it had no toilet in the room (!!!????).

Moreover, the flush of the toilet was broken, so I had to go to the desk to report the matter.

Moreover, when I arrived at the desk, the concierge wasn't there. I pushed the ludicrously big and noisy bell. The response was a defiant "What do you want?" from a guy smoking outside and talking to someone. He didn't try to pt out the cigarrette. Just shouted from the distance "Ok".

Not a hotel, mind you. Just a hostel with the price of a good hotel. A scam.

Lousy.

Room Tip: Do yourselves a favor: go find another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank A_C_Lovefield
Mary K, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Dear Guest from Boston , I understand from your point of view you are disappointed, but this is not a fair or accurate statement regarding the hotel or the website. If you have a complaint it is helpful if you could discuss it with the manager when you are here. Our website accurately displays and explains the room: The Economy room is shown on the Historic Wing with 2 single beds and explains that it only has a sink basin in the room and the use of shared bathrooms, They are in the hall not the room. 8 rms share the 2 bathrooms on the 2nd floor. The room rate for this style room economy is about $100 at peak season. From you report the staff explained that there were only a couple of rooms available. Unfortunately these were the only rooms available at that time and they where the rooms without bathrooms. I understand it would have been nice to have a bathroom in the room, but the hotel is not at fault that one was not available when you booked. I do agree and I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced. The staff member must have stepped away on break and should have quickly returned in a courteous manner to help. This is a serious error and I will address this. I appreciate you letting me know.

Sincerely, Mary