“Not perfect, but a good option for the price.”
Review of Hotel Seward

Hotel Seward
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Seward
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at Hotel Seward for three nights. The hotel is ideally located, near restaurants and the shore. The decor is a mix of taxidermied animals, and grandma's nursing home. The room was small, but clean. The bed was old and sagged a little in the middle, which caused us to roll into each other during the night. The room also tended to be uncomfortably hot, even with the radiator turned off. We slept with the window open as a result, which led to some street-noise, but not much. The bedroom blinds worked pretty well at keeping out light at night, though they could have been a bit better.

Overall, while Hotel Seward had some faults, I think it was a good option for the price. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the restaurant to avoid noise from the private dining rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Juliet K
Mary K, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your input. I see from your review that you stayed in a standard room 1 queen bed room with bath on the Historic Wing. Those rooms are smaller and have the radiator's for heat, fortunately the rooms are well insulated, but I see may cause them to retain their warmth. I am not sure about the problem with the bed. They are soft pillow top beds, but they are only 2 yrs old the should be comfortable. It would be nice to know the room # so I could check the bed to see if there is a defect. We always appreciate it when we can solve an issue of concern. We do try to do our best for our guest. I understand the hotel décor offers a lot about the history of Alaska, maybe it is more like a museum with the warmth of grandma's house? I am happy you would come back and hope to see you when you do, my best Mary

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Seward for two nights prior to a cruise and can thoroughly recommend it.
The staff are very friendly and helpful, appearing to enjoy their contact with the guests.
The hotel's décor is eclectic, starting with the stuffed animals and other curious items displayed downstairs.
Our large room was on the top floor with a partial view down to the sea-front. In addition to two Tiffany-style lamps and Victorian-style furnishings it offered a flat screen TV, microwave oven, fridge and coffee-maker.
We enjoyed breakfast and dinner one night in the hotel restaurant. In addition there are several excellent eateries within walking distance. Also close by is the Alaska Sealife Center which opened early on our embarkation day and we got there an hour or so before the ship tours arrived..

Room Tip: Go for the top floor, sea view rooms
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed for 2 nights at this hotel last year. We had booked their luxury "room with a view". The first room that they gave us had a view of the tree. When I requested them to give me a better room, they moved me to the adjoining room, which had a small view of the ocean. Fine! The room was decently done up in the Victorian style, a fire place and funnily - two basins outside in the bed-room! One would think that changing a room in a hotel is no big deal - well, not in this hotel. They kept a double hold on our credit card - just because we asked for a change in room?! One for the first room we checked in and checked out and the second for the new room which was allocated to us. Isn't that ridiculous! And they didn't unhold it till a week after we checked out. The restaurant below was more like a sob-room for the waitress, who kept wailing to us how over-worked she was! Really?! Am I supposed to be playing aunt agony on a holiday?! The hotel is well located, next to some interesting eateries and the Alaska Sea Life Centre. The owner was actually indifferent to the mess that they created with reference to the credit card and not at all apologetic. Would I repeat my stay here? No, never!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Mary K, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Guest, It is hard to respond a year later. I am a very concerned owner operator and I live on premise and try to be readily available to help. I apologize if you felt we did not meet you expectations and there were issues out of our control with the credit card process. I do believe that my employees try to do a good job. Unfortunately errors are made and I can only hope to correct them. It is seems when things go wrong they multiply. I do sincerely apologize. Mary

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

The staff here is very nice. The lobby is filled with taxidermied animals. Salt water taffy and coffee are available in the lobby 24/7. The building is old with funky exposed pipes, a musty odor, and many rooms do not have in-suite bathrooms. All rooms come with floor fans but no hair dryers. But the beds are like sleeping on clouds and are plentiful with pillows including the decorative type. Your options of places to stay in Seward are few, and this family-owned boutique hotel is fun and funky, just know the rooms aren't all that soundproof and a part of the hotel lacks an elevator to the second floor.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank JLFERG
Mary K, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you for your review we are a friendly unique hotel. We appreciate the input and hope to see you again. It is apparent you stayed on the Historic Wing which offers either our Standard 1 Queen bedroom with a bathroom or our Economical rooms with 2 single beds without a bathroom that use the shared bathrooms in the hall and have less amenities. This Wing has no elevator and the exposed pipes reflect the vintage of the Historic Wing as the fire system was added later. It does create an ambience that people either like or dislike. I am not sure how to address that you felt there was an odor in the Historic Wing this is an uncommon complaint and I can only apologize to you. We are happy to hear you enjoyed the beds most people do, they are Simmons Pillow Tops beds very soft. Our goal is for everyone to have a fun Alaskan experience while staying with us.
For guest looking for more amenities we do have the newer Alaska Wing, it is completely separate and does have an elevator and offers our larger Deluxe or Executive View rooms with lots of amenties. Have a great summer~ and look forward to seeing you again. Mary

Reviewed 4 June 2014

My husband and I stayed in a room on Thursday May 19th the night before or cruise left Seward. It was a nice room with a king size bed, fireplace and a view of the harbor in the new section and it was wonderful!!!! We had a great night sleep, the room was fantastic and we would definitely stay here again. The owners were super nice, they allowed us to stay in our room until we were ready to go to the cruise ship and then the driver took us right to the pier and would not even except a tip (he told us to spend it on our cruise and have fun). Just an excellent run hotel! I called several months ago and the lady I spoke with was nice enough to hear what I was wanting from the room and assigned my room number even back then.... That was the exact room we got to and we couldn't have asked for better... Would definitely stay here again. The staff showed us the historic part of the hotel and the history in the photos is unbelievable. The lobby is full of interesting items too from art to stuffed animals to historical items.

Room Tip: I believe our room was 303 and it was wonderful!
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Nice boutique hotel, but then again there aren’t many choices in Seward now are there? On the plus side, the view is remarkable IF you spring for one of the newer, more expensive rooms in the front of the hotel. However, if anyone in your party is the least bit claustrophobic, find somewhere else. My poor wife, even in one of the largest “executive” rooms, paced like a caged animal until the sleeping pill kicked in or she could claw her way out the next morning. Just a hint: there is no air conditioning—not a problem unless the street sweepers roll by at 4:00 a.m. Also, WI-FI -s free but s-l-o-w, won't support streaming.

2  Thank Ed0379
Mary K, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you for your review. It was wonderful that the weather was so nice that you enjoyed the postcard View Seward offers making a good memory for your stay. I am so sorry to hear your wife was uncomfortable, our rooms are usually consider a comfortable size on the Alaskan Wing with the additional room amenities add to their comfort. I can only apologize that the city cleaners disturbed your visit, we would love to change there timing too! The only plus is fortunately they usually only do the streets 4 times a year, but that does not help when it is your night.. As for the internet I will check into it . We do have the highest package available for our area,so I think this problem may occur when there is a high demand. At the time you were here we had a movie crew in filming Sugar Mountain airing in 2015, so that may have affected it. Our goal is always that everyone's stay is enjoyable, I apologize for any of the shortcoming and hope the good memories with stay with you. My Best, Mary

Reviewed 12 May 2014

As a frequent traveler with premium status a major chains - it was such a blessing to stay at this hotel. I actually found it on trip advisor as well. I stayed in the 'historic' wing - which was awesome. Not overly fancy, but the atmosphere and staff were truly tremendous. Would definitely stay again - incredible hosts.

Room Tip: I was in the 'historic" wing which is older and smaller rooms. Nice and quaint - simple roo...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo