“Great Value and service!!”
Review of Hotel Seward

Hotel Seward
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Seward
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The hotel Seward is a great value hotel in Seward, that has outstanding service. My wife and I were taking a cruise out of Seward and the hotel offers a free shuttle to the cruise terminal and our driver was very friendly. We also enjoyed the breakfast there very much.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Seward

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed in a room in the historic wing this past weekend and really enjoyed it. The furnishings were eclectic and yes older (it's the "historic wing!") but I liked it, and everything was very clean. I found the staff to be wonderful. Great check in and check out with an enthusiastic cheerful employee, and excellent meals with great service in the dining room. I was glad that I chose to stay there. I've previously stayed at the Breeze Inn, the Edgewater and the Holiday Inn Express and though more modern, they were nothing special. I'll try and stay here in the future as I really liked the character.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Linda B
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The historic part of the hotel is a dump. Yes, I realize Seward is a tourist town. Accommodations can be hard to find during peak season. Do yourself a favor make reservations well in advanced at another hotel. Other places might cost more, but it will be well worth it in the long run.

Non secure doors, shoddy furniture, fixtures and third world plumbing (rust coming out of the faucet) is the norm in the historic section of the hotel. The smell of mold/mildew permeated the hallways and room. The only thing that was missing was bed bugs.

If i had to choose between staying at the Hotel Seward or a root canal. It would be a "no brainer". i'd choose drill!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
7  Thank Mtaylor000
Mary K, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest, I can only say that I feel your extreme remarks were unnecessary and I do not agree with the picture you have given. I am sorry you did not like the Historic Wing. There are pictures on our site that show the furniture and décor of the room style and the hotel in this review. I understand that you may have been looking for something else, but I assume you choose this room style because you were looking for an Economical room, that sleeps 2, with a hostel or dorm style amenities~for the price and location. I do hope future readers of this review consider this and consider the Historic Wing is an older property and is represented to have limited amenities. Sincerely, Mary

Reviewed 16 June 2014

We stayed in one of the "hostel"-type rooms in the "historic" wing, so my review does not apply to the (presumably) nicer, more modern half of the hotel. The room was TINY, immediately above the bar and kitchen, ie. very loud. The beds and decor were ancient. We knew we would have to share a bathroom, so that was fine. But overall it was not what we expected for $120/night! I would pay about $40/night max for this experience. We only stayed one night and fled to the comparably priced, and infinitely nicer Sauerdough Lodging. The current tripadvisor rating of #2 in Seward must only apply to the modern side of the hotel, as I would surely put this amongst the worst in Seward.

3  Thank Owen S
Mary K, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest, I appreciate your input. The rooms are small and as the pictures on our site show have a historic décor. I am sorry you did like it. I understand the reason most people choose a dorm or hostel room style is for the economical price. The price of 100 plus tax for a room with 2 beds, internet , cable tv, availability of the hotel amenities and the location seems to make the choose.. The Historic Wing is part of the history of Seward. I would not build them this way, but they were built at a time of less amenities, and we try to let people be aware of the short comings. I am learning that people either appreciate them or dislike them. They are not for everyone. I am again sorry you were unhappy, that is not our goal. Sincerely, Mary

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We stayed at Hotel Seward for three nights. The hotel is ideally located, near restaurants and the shore. The decor is a mix of taxidermied animals, and grandma's nursing home. The room was small, but clean. The bed was old and sagged a little in the middle, which caused us to roll into each other during the night. The room also tended to be uncomfortably hot, even with the radiator turned off. We slept with the window open as a result, which led to some street-noise, but not much. The bedroom blinds worked pretty well at keeping out light at night, though they could have been a bit better.

Overall, while Hotel Seward had some faults, I think it was a good option for the price. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the restaurant to avoid noise from the private dining rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Juliet K
Mary K, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for your input. I see from your review that you stayed in a standard room 1 queen bed room with bath on the Historic Wing. Those rooms are smaller and have the radiator's for heat, fortunately the rooms are well insulated, but I see may cause them to retain their warmth. I am not sure about the problem with the bed. They are soft pillow top beds, but they are only 2 yrs old the should be comfortable. It would be nice to know the room # so I could check the bed to see if there is a defect. We always appreciate it when we can solve an issue of concern. We do try to do our best for our guest. I understand the hotel décor offers a lot about the history of Alaska, maybe it is more like a museum with the warmth of grandma's house? I am happy you would come back and hope to see you when you do, my best Mary

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Seward for two nights prior to a cruise and can thoroughly recommend it.
The staff are very friendly and helpful, appearing to enjoy their contact with the guests.
The hotel's décor is eclectic, starting with the stuffed animals and other curious items displayed downstairs.
Our large room was on the top floor with a partial view down to the sea-front. In addition to two Tiffany-style lamps and Victorian-style furnishings it offered a flat screen TV, microwave oven, fridge and coffee-maker.
We enjoyed breakfast and dinner one night in the hotel restaurant. In addition there are several excellent eateries within walking distance. Also close by is the Alaska Sealife Center which opened early on our embarkation day and we got there an hour or so before the ship tours arrived..

Room Tip: Go for the top floor, sea view rooms
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed for 2 nights at this hotel last year. We had booked their luxury "room with a view". The first room that they gave us had a view of the tree. When I requested them to give me a better room, they moved me to the adjoining room, which had a small view of the ocean. Fine! The room was decently done up in the Victorian style, a fire place and funnily - two basins outside in the bed-room! One would think that changing a room in a hotel is no big deal - well, not in this hotel. They kept a double hold on our credit card - just because we asked for a change in room?! One for the first room we checked in and checked out and the second for the new room which was allocated to us. Isn't that ridiculous! And they didn't unhold it till a week after we checked out. The restaurant below was more like a sob-room for the waitress, who kept wailing to us how over-worked she was! Really?! Am I supposed to be playing aunt agony on a holiday?! The hotel is well located, next to some interesting eateries and the Alaska Sea Life Centre. The owner was actually indifferent to the mess that they created with reference to the credit card and not at all apologetic. Would I repeat my stay here? No, never!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Mary K, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Guest, It is hard to respond a year later. I am a very concerned owner operator and I live on premise and try to be readily available to help. I apologize if you felt we did not meet you expectations and there were issues out of our control with the credit card process. I do believe that my employees try to do a good job. Unfortunately errors are made and I can only hope to correct them. It is seems when things go wrong they multiply. I do sincerely apologize. Mary