“Interesting Old Hotel”
Review of Hotel Seward

Hotel Seward
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Seward
Reviewed 24 September 2010

This is an interesting old hotel with some history. Spacious room. Fireplace is fake but still looked nice. Internet worked. In the older section of Seward and away from the cruise ship dock (a positive). Shows a little wear and tear. I also don’t like the plastic glasses and paper cups. Bed ok. Staff friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 September 2010

We are two independent travelers who stayed at Hotel Seward for two nights prior to boarding our cruise ship. I had booked an Executive Room at a discount rate and was not expecting a lot, so when I when I walked in and saw the great view through the bay windows, I was delighted. The room was spotless, and the bed was comfortable. The people working the front desk were always helpful and pleasant and made us feel welcome.

I can understand that some people would not appreciate the lobby and its stuffed animals, but somehow it seemed to fit in Alaska.This hotel has a historical feel to it and is a throwback to simpler days. We like more eclectic places and often stay at B&B's, cabins, and older hotels, so this was a good match for us. If you are a resort type of person or want everything new and glitzy and fast paced, this is not the place for you.

The only negative is one shared by many hotels and lodging establishments in Alaska....no air conditioning....so you have to use the jalousie windows to get in fresh air. I can see that this could be noisy at times, but it wasn't a problem for us.

Seward is a great little town, and our stay at Hotel Seward only made us appreciate it more.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 September 2010

We booked what I think is a standard room at the hotel, which means that you are put in the historic wing. This is up two flights of stairs so is fairly awkward with big suitcases. The room is poky and in need of redecoration, but it is exceptionally clean (just looks dirty because of its age). Ours was right at the end of the corridor, such that our sash windows looked on two views: one of the car park, and one of the back street, where the bin lorry woke us one morning. I would advise using the blinds when undressing. I think the other rooms are much better, but there was no other choice on our arrival as it was late evening. Location is good if you want to be downtown, but not if you want to be next to the harbour, however the town runs a free shuttle from one to the other anyway. The staff are friendly and very helpful. If there are any wildlife that you have missed on your Alaskan travels, you can see it, albeit, stuffed, in the lounge. There is a terminal in the lounge for internet use, not sure about wireless.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2010

We stayed here for two nights in August. The smell in reception probably from all the stuffed animals was terrible but there was also a really bad musty smell in our room which was at the back and very dark. I wanted to move rooms but the hotel was fully booked. As we waited to leave the hotel another customer also complained about the smell in their room so obviously it wasn't confined to our room. Would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank graceful77
marknmary, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2010

I first have to apologize for not responding sooner but it was only today that I received Trip Advisor’s monthly metrics update informing me of any problem. My wife, staff and I are always concerned and responsive to a guest complaint; fortunately we only have had a few. We always try to resolve any problem that may occur to a guest satisfaction, with a change of room or consider whatever it takes to make a guest happy and comfortable. We are sincerely sorry that anyone would leave the hotel and feel so dissatisfied; I would have hoped we could have resolved the problem and left both of us with a better memory of the visit.

I hope this is a help. We recently associated a couple of complaints regarding an odor in the Historic Wing with a laundry cleaning process. I can only assume the evening in question may have been an evening that we where using that product. I have to apologize; we have had a handful of guest complaints about a “musty odor” in one or two of our Historic Wing rooms in the 3 years we have owned the Hotel. Possibly it has been due to this process. The Historic Wing was built in 1905. It has been remodeled and updated, but because of the year and methods of construction we have not completely been able to eliminate the possibility of complaint. We are very concerned with any complaint and will always work to improve our Hotel so all of our guests have the experience they deserve. We are truly sorry that we failed with this guest.

We take pride in our Hotel and in the many positive reviews we get on Trip Advisor and at the Hotel. The wildlife display in the lobby is always, up until this review, a favorite of our guests as well as others just dropping by to take their picture with a bear or musk ox. We have never had a complaint about our lobby, only praise. All of the animals are maintained at showroom quality producing no odors. Since this posting, I have physically smelled all of the animals for any odor and have found none.

The posting to Trip Advisor shows clearly that each guest may have a differing opinion. As I was writing this, a charming lady from New Zealand staying in the Historic Wing stopped at my always-open office door, and, while standing in the lobby’s Wildlife display, she said in parting, “Your hotel offers something magical.” We at Hotel Seward will continue to offer something “magical,” clean, comfortable, and well-priced to our guests in the Historic Wing, from a building built in 1905 with still some character, good and occasionally less than we wish. We will continue to make sure our lobby and Hotel offers a pleasant atmosphere for our future guests, and we hope that you will stay in the Alaskan Wing if the Historic Wing offers you any concerns.

Mark Kulstad, owner

Reviewed 12 August 2010

We stayed at the Hotel Seward for 2 nights in late June 2010 at the end of our 3 week Alaska trip. We had an 'Executive View' room on the top floor which had one of the most comfortable beds (king) we've ever slept in. The room was spacious and nicely furnished, with bay windows. Even had a fireplace, not that we needed it in June! These rooms are not especially cheap but we had a discount coupon from the Northern Lights book which saved us a bit. They've definitely gone nuts in the taxidermy department in the lobby of the hotel, as can be seen from our photos!

Seward's downtown area is very compact and it's an easy walk down to the bay, the Sealife Center and the various bars and restaurants nearby to the hotel. It's only a few minutes' drive to the boat harbour (where the Kenai Fjords tour boats leave from) which also has a bunch of restaurants and bars.

We didn't have dinner in the hotel restaurant but had a nice breakfast there one of the mornings of our stay. We spent an evening in the bar at the hotel with us as the only customers (fairly quiet midweek, I guess). The barman was an interesting guy and was the brother of the woman who owns the hotel I think. He made us a variety of nice cocktails and we had a fun time chatting with him.

The hotel had free WiFi which worked fine in our room (unlike some hotels where they have it but reception is patchy in the rooms).

We enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel to others.

Dom & Narrelle
Canberra, Australia

Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2010

I stayed in a room on the historic side. The room was an average hotel room. It had a microwave and mini-fridge. The bed and pillows were comfortable.

While the hotel recommends requesting the 1st floor to avoid carrying bags up the stairs (no elevator on the historic side), my room was right next to the restaurant / dining rooms and it was very loud. Just something to keep in mind.

Some of the staff was great, friendly and informative, but other staff not so much.

Overall a decent hotel and a decent stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 July 2010

Our room was very comfortable, the bedding was very nice, as was the quality of the bed. The atmosphere was relaxed and romantic. We both felt very comfortable in the room. I would definitely stay again if in the area.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple