“Unique comfortable hotel in a a great location”
Review of Hotel Seward

Hotel Seward
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Seward
WI
“Unique comfortable hotel in a a great location”
Reviewed 27 October 2010

We used a 2 for 1 night offer at Hotel Seward. Initially there was some confusion in our room type but the front desk made everything right. This was probably the only stressful part of our stay. We were in the new part of the hotel. The rooms and hotel is uniquely decorated. We loved the taxidermy in the lobby since it fits Alaska.

We liked that the hotel was away from the more touristy north end of Seward by the boat harbor. There are many restaurants and shops nearby as well as the Alaska Sea Life Center. The hotel had a shuttle to our departing cruise boat, but the City of Seward also has a free shuttle they run during the summer -- no problem getting around. Seward is a small town and has a couple taxi services.

Hotel Seward also has a coin-op washer/dryer. It was nice to do a couple loads before we started our cruise. We didn't try the hotel restaurant or bar. The bar seemed like a nice little bar but we didn't have the energy to check it out. Also, the wifi worked fine (fast speed and good signal). There was another computer available in the lobby for use as well.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone who would like a comfortable stay with the added bonus of unique decorating. We would love to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Tennessee
Reviewed 25 October 2010

A nice comfortable place. Very clean and in a great location.
My wife and I booked a package deal which included one night at Hotel Seward and an 8 hour wildlife viewing cruise. It turned out to be a great deal for us. The hotel was charming with lots of history and historic pictures decorating the hallways. While I was there I met the owner. He seemed to be a great guy, and I enjoyed our lengthy conversation. The staff also went beyond their normal duties and even helped us find a place to stay in Homer, Ak.
As for Seward, we loved the place. It reminded us of our small towns back home, clean and friendly. Neat shops and a really nice Sea Life Center, which we enjoyed but would be even more fun for kids.

1 Thank East_Tennesseean
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed 16 October 2010

Hotel Seward is a gorgeous place to stay! Historic Hotel, with many old photos on the walls that tell a million stories. The food at the Restaurant is exceptional; Seared Black Sesame Crusted Ahi Tuna, Crab Cakes and Spinach Salad with enormous fresh Scallops. Not to mention the perfect wine, recommended by our delightful barman. The room was huge, beautifully appointed, and the view of the snow capped mountains and water, breathtaking. The hospitality was second to none, and I would recommend Hotel Seward to anyone visiting Seward.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 24 September 2010

This is an interesting old hotel with some history. Spacious room. Fireplace is fake but still looked nice. Internet worked. In the older section of Seward and away from the cruise ship dock (a positive). Shows a little wear and tear. I also don’t like the plastic glasses and paper cups. Bed ok. Staff friendly and helpful.

Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 September 2010

We are two independent travelers who stayed at Hotel Seward for two nights prior to boarding our cruise ship. I had booked an Executive Room at a discount rate and was not expecting a lot, so when I when I walked in and saw the great view through the bay windows, I was delighted. The room was spotless, and the bed was comfortable. The people working the front desk were always helpful and pleasant and made us feel welcome.

I can understand that some people would not appreciate the lobby and its stuffed animals, but somehow it seemed to fit in Alaska.This hotel has a historical feel to it and is a throwback to simpler days. We like more eclectic places and often stay at B&B's, cabins, and older hotels, so this was a good match for us. If you are a resort type of person or want everything new and glitzy and fast paced, this is not the place for you.

The only negative is one shared by many hotels and lodging establishments in Alaska....no air conditioning....so you have to use the jalousie windows to get in fresh air. I can see that this could be noisy at times, but it wasn't a problem for us.

Seward is a great little town, and our stay at Hotel Seward only made us appreciate it more.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Lanark, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 September 2010

We booked what I think is a standard room at the hotel, which means that you are put in the historic wing. This is up two flights of stairs so is fairly awkward with big suitcases. The room is poky and in need of redecoration, but it is exceptionally clean (just looks dirty because of its age). Ours was right at the end of the corridor, such that our sash windows looked on two views: one of the car park, and one of the back street, where the bin lorry woke us one morning. I would advise using the blinds when undressing. I think the other rooms are much better, but there was no other choice on our arrival as it was late evening. Location is good if you want to be downtown, but not if you want to be next to the harbour, however the town runs a free shuttle from one to the other anyway. The staff are friendly and very helpful. If there are any wildlife that you have missed on your Alaskan travels, you can see it, albeit, stuffed, in the lounge. There is a terminal in the lounge for internet use, not sure about wireless.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 19 August 2010

We stayed here for two nights in August. The smell in reception probably from all the stuffed animals was terrible but there was also a really bad musty smell in our room which was at the back and very dark. I wanted to move rooms but the hotel was fully booked. As we waited to leave the hotel another customer also complained about the smell in their room so obviously it wasn't confined to our room. Would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank graceful77
marknmary, Owner at Hotel Seward, responded to this review, 9 September 2010
I first have to apologize for not responding sooner but it was only today that I received Trip Advisor’s monthly metrics update informing me of any problem. My wife, staff and I are always concerned and responsive to a guest complaint; fortunately we only have had a few. We always try to resolve any problem that may occur to a guest satisfaction, with a change of room or consider whatever it takes to make a guest happy and comfortable. We are sincerely sorry that anyone would leave the hotel and feel so dissatisfied; I would have hoped we could have resolved the problem and left both of us with a better memory of the visit.

I hope this is a help. We recently associated a couple of complaints regarding an odor in the Historic Wing with a laundry cleaning process. I can only assume the evening in question may have been an evening that we where using that product. I have to apologize; we have had a handful of guest complaints about a “musty odor” in one or two of our Historic Wing rooms in the 3 years we have owned the Hotel. Possibly it has been due to this process. The Historic Wing was built in 1905. It has been remodeled and updated, but because of the year and methods of construction we have not completely been able to eliminate the possibility of complaint. We are very concerned with any complaint and will always work to improve our Hotel so all of our guests have the experience they deserve. We are truly sorry that we failed with this guest.

We take pride in our Hotel and in the many positive reviews we get on Trip Advisor and at the Hotel. The wildlife display in the lobby is always, up until this review, a favorite of our guests as well as others just dropping by to take their picture with a bear or musk ox. We have never had a complaint about our lobby, only praise. All of the animals are maintained at showroom quality producing no odors. Since this posting, I have physically smelled all of the animals for any odor and have found none.

The posting to Trip Advisor shows clearly that each guest may have a differing opinion. As I was writing this, a charming lady from New Zealand staying in the Historic Wing stopped at my always-open office door, and, while standing in the lobby’s Wildlife display, she said in parting, “Your hotel offers something magical.” We at Hotel Seward will continue to offer something “magical,” clean, comfortable, and well-priced to our guests in the Historic Wing, from a building built in 1905 with still some character, good and occasionally less than we wish. We will continue to make sure our lobby and Hotel offers a pleasant atmosphere for our future guests, and we hope that you will stay in the Alaskan Wing if the Historic Wing offers you any concerns.

Mark Kulstad, owner