“Reliable year to year”
Review of Marina Motel

Marina Motel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Seward
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Have stayed here for at least four years and always had clean, comfortable rooms and friendly service. Right across from the marina and restaurants. Rooms are quiet and spacious. Would recommend to anyone going to Seward. Most reasonable rates. Unless you plan to sit in your room and look out a window for your visit to Seward, why pay the high rates?

Room Tip: Rooms off of interior hallway are probably quieter, and frontage rooms have outside access.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank b h

Reviewed 27 August 2012

We got a great deal on the motel, so we werent expecting much but for an older motel it was very nice. Room was older but very clean and a good location just across from the marina. Due to my error, i had accidentally booked the wrong date but they cancelled my incorrect reservation(no charge) and gave me the same price for my intended stay. Free parking and you can park right outside your door

Room Tip: This is very close to the marina, which seems to be more the hotspot than downtown nowadays.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2012

My husband and I waited to until the last minute to book a room. (as in we were in town and needed a place for the night!) I reluctantly checked in the Motel Motel after finding out that my other favorites were all booked up. See, the motel isn't the prettiest from the outside, so I wasn't sure what to expect.
Whelp, the room ended up being awesome!! It was a great size. Had a microwave, fridge, table, chairs, and 2 (small) queen beds. The bathroom was okay sized and looked newly renovated. The water pressure was great and there was plenty of hot water. I liked that there was a small tiled landing when you first walked in the room. Helped to keep the carpet clean even though we had wet feet.
My only real gripe about the hotel was that the walls were pretty thin. We could hear people talking in the next room over. Normally I can drown that out with a typical hotel window heater unit, but there was not one in my room. (Just a normal thermostat on the wall). So, made for some broken sleep.
My husband says the bed was too hard, but I thought it was just right. (You'll never please everyone no matter what bed you have!)
Hotel is in easy walking distance of the small boat harbor, where we took a sea cruise. Also in easy walking distance to the Safeway. breakfast is expensive in town so may want to stock up on breakfast goodies and take advantage of the coffee pot and microwave!
I will definitely stay here when I come back to town. Great value and very ample & clean rooms!

Room Tip: The closer to the office you are, I think the better internet signal you will have.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank passaskat
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights at the end of June. We knew it would be an older motel by the reviews. It is dated but clean, which is what is most important to us. It is a mom and pop style motel owned by a local versus a big chain which is what we prefer. If you are looking for the newest and great amenities this is not the place for you. But if you aren't looking for anything fancy just a clean room at a decent price for the area then give it a try. Staff was always helpful answering questions and when we added a night stay she gave us a discount. It was quiet considering it is on the main road. It was within walking distance of where the bay cruises and a bunch of shops are. You can even walk downtown from here but is a longer walk (5 min. drive). We enjoyed our stay and would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2011

We had reservations because friends we were meeting in town were staying here too. The room was for myself, my husband and our toddler. We went into a worn entry that smelled of old cigarettes and musty carpets. We asked for the key to check the room before we checked in. I'm glad we did. Upon opening the room door the musty smell was overpowering. The bedspreads were worn and pilled. The carpet was discolored and appeared to have been vacuumed but not shampooed in years. The room was dark, even when the curtains were open. The smell of mildew in the bath was unacceptable. I would not have wanted my little one to walk/crawl around on those floors. We went back to the office, explained the problem and a very unapologetic clerk curtly said she'd cancel our reservation. We went to another hotel (Murray Motel, where I had stayed before) and even they were full but said the Marina Motel had just called to tell them that they had rooms available. Haha. Thankfully we were able to find another hotel in town. The Hotel Seward where we have stayed many times before welcomed us with open arms.

Room Tip: Unless you have a hazmat suit to sleep in, don't stay here.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank AKmo
Reviewed 10 July 2011

This motel shows a good deal of wear.
Pros: Towels were surprisingly thick, plentiful and good.
The location is convenient, but then Seward is hardly large enough for a bad location.
Despite being by the main road, it seemed quiet, even with the very long daylight hours.
Parking is adequate and complimentary.

Cons: the carpet, bedding and furnishings are worn. All have a somewhat unclean feel.
The rooms are very small.
The bathroom is especially tiny, with NO counter space.
No landscaping or view of anything.
They required full payment upon checkin - despite obvious vacancies every day. I did not ask if a refund was possible for an early checkout.
Rooms are supposed to be 'No Smoking' but have a mild tobacco odor.
No food available on the premises.

One further warning: the place is for sale as a 'turnkey operation'. Apparently the owner thinks the place is at it's peak in top condition. I could suggest otherwise. A new owner could, of corse, raise or further lower the standard.

Room Tip: There is only one floor and all rooms face the parking lot.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Californiaview
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Right off the road and near the docks (we walked to our cruise and saved $10.00 parking fee). Clean, comfortable beds. Small bathroom. One of the few places you can stay for under $100.00/night during high season. Helpful staff. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Check internet sites (cheap hotels.com), guide bks
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family