My husband and I (who lived in San Jose, CR at the time) went for an overnight to Villa Blanca without our toddler. We had a Deluxe casita and it was very cozy. It got a bit chilly at night so we were able to light the wood fireplace. I also had a lovely bath and my husband brought me a glass of wine from the lobby bar. We went on the "Nocturnal" Nature Walk and saw a record 4 species of frogs, as well as countless bugs. The movie theatre was broken that night but there was plenty else to do. The self-guided nature walk surrounding the casitas was easy and beautifully surrounded by clouds. The tile ceiling in the chapel is amazing and we have been fortunate to find where the tiles are made (or very similar ones) in Escazu.
The next time I went was a few months later with a girlfriend, and we had a Superior Casita with 2 twin beds and no bath. We took the Canopy tour and had the same guide as before; it was the zip of a lifetime and I recommend it to anyone who is nervous! They put us at total ease, as well as taking our cameras and capturing amazing pictures and videos of us that we never could have gotten on our own. The movie theatre was back up but we had to actually tell them we were there so they would start the DVD!
We didn't try the spa, but the food is to die for. My favourite was the veggie enchilada, and I had a few meat dishes with berries. Also the sweet potato soup, if they are making it that day, is wonderful. One day we were there, there weren't enough people to set out the breakfast buffet, but they gladly whipped up whatever we wanted.
This is a beautiful, relaxing place to go for a very peaceful, quiet night or two. It is far from any town, city or road.
It is also an award winner for 5-leaf Certified Sustainable Tourism, which makes it worth every penny, considering how much water and electricity is wasted in hotels!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just over an hour's drive from San Jose International Costa Rica airport (SJO), eco-minded travelers from all over the world have reveled in the beauty of Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel, located within the Los Angeles Private Biological Nature Reserve & Research Station in the Canton of San Ramon. The hotel is ideally situated as a gateway to Arenal Volcano and the famous Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve. Here, you're immersed in one of the world's most precious and complex jungle ecosystems - the cloud forest. This boutique mountain hotel is nestled on 75-acres of gentle rolling hills, with well-appointed "casitas" and Honeymoon Suites, each with their own fireplace, and surrounded by acres of lush botanical gardens. Originally owned by former president Rodrigo Carazo Odio and First Lady, Estrella Zeledon de Carazo, Villa Blanca has become a renown and cherished Costa Rica destination. The architecture reflects the original farm village concept, with a welcoming Hacienda, offering guests exceptional Costa Rican hospitality, premier dining, a private theater, conference facilities, and pampering spa menu. Also quite unique is a replica of a 14th century Roman wedding chapel, La Mariana, with its hand painted ceramic ceiling. Choose from a variety of nature-based activities, including horseback, zip-lines, and user-friendly guided trials, plus excursions to Arenal and Poas volcanoes, hot springs, and rural-cultural tours. This is the Costa Rica where those who "travel well and travel right" want to go. Please feel free to visit our sister-site, one of the most prestigious Manuel Antonio hotels, Si Como No. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Agoda, Evoline ltd, Traveltool, S.L.U. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel and Nature Reserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Blanca Cloud Forest
- Villa Blanca Cloud Forest Hotel And Nature Reserve Costa Rica/San Ramon