“Nicest place we've stayed in Costa Rica in 8 years”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Ramon
Angel Valley Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 5 San Ramon B&B and Inns
Playas del Coco, Costa Rica
“Nicest place we've stayed in Costa Rica in 8 years”
Reviewed 4 May 2013

A total of five family and friends stayed at Angel Valley on this trip, and all were enchanted with Gary and his B&B. The stunning view, bright, cheerful rooms, excellent food, and Gary himself made the visit memorable for all. Gary's knowledge of local attractions is impressive for someone who just moved to the area, but his Africa safari stories (and photos) are amazing.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Gary C, Owner at Angel Valley Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Hi J&V Thanks so much for the wonderful review, it was a pleasure hosting you and I look forward to seeing you again when you are up in our area again. You are just a phone call away from your favorite banana cranberry bread. I am so thrilled that you ordered a few loaves to go.......such a great compliment. Take care good people G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Eight members of The Birding Club of Costa Rica arrived at Angel Valley Bed and Breakfast after a strenuous day of birding, which had commenced at 6 a.m. What a delightful surprise, coffee, tea and home baked, delicious cookies and brownies awaited us. An indication of the welcome and hospitality we were to receive from our gracious and accommodating hosts Gary Clegg and Donna Kennedy. Who expects a B&B to observe a teatime ritual? Maybe it's something to do with owner Gary's South African background, after all some Colonial habits are hard to break.
The peaceful, pastoral setting of this delightful, totally renovated farmhouse with spectacular views across the valley represents the epitome of Costa Rican rural life and is an ideal base camp from which to explore the area. There are many choices of things to do and see if you can drag yourself away from relaxing in the hot tub, or contemplating the view from a hammock with a good book. Gary is full of suggestions and Donna will act as your guide should you need her help.
When you step inside the house you feel you have taken a magic carpet ride to a totally different world. Gary's amazing photos and African memorabilia dominate every room, plus all the comforts of home beckon you to stay a while. The attractively furnished bedrooms and spacious, private bathrooms are squeaky clean. In each room, over the very comfy bed you will find a wonderful picture of an African animal. In the Shumba room with its lovely view and twin beds you will have a majestic lion and lioness to watch over while you sleep.
Gary regaled us with tales about his African adventures, and leading safaris throughout Africa, which he still does for his company Shumba Tracks. If you have never been to Africa his skills as a storyteller will, without a doubt, make you want to visit this fascinating Continent, or like it did for me, bring back vivid memories of my own African adventures. Gary is also full of anecdotes about flying a variety of aircraft, plus will be happy to chat on virtually any subject. You can rest assured there's never a dull moment when he's around.
Gary's energy abounds and he plays the role of chief cook and bottle washer as he takes your order the night before for his exceptional breakfasts. Eggs any style, bacon, home fries, grilled tomatoes, pancakes, home-baked bread and bagels all cooked and served by Gary on the patio dining area. This morning feast will certainly make your day. His culinary talents also include starting up his ceramic decorated oven and serving wood fired pizza, plus he also hosts special theme nights with exotic menus from all over the world. However, normally for dinner you will have to saunter down the road to the nearby restaurant for a tasty sampling of the local fare.
Angel Valley Bed and Breakfast is located an easy one-hour drive from the International Airport and is an excellent choice for a one or two night stopover before starting, or finishing your visit to Costa Rica.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank intrepidtraveler24
Gary C, Owner at Angel Valley Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
Hi Ann, Thanks for such a wonderful review......when does the book come out :) It was such a pleasure having you stay with us and I hope the entire group had a fantastic time with Pat not only here but throughout the trip. I really loved chatting with you about your travels through Africa. I am also pleased that you enjoyed all the food while you were here, it is always so much fun cooking for a group who enjoys food as much as I enjoy preparing it. I hope to see you back on your next visit through our area. Take care Gary
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We found Gary on the net and are very glad we did. He has a very comfortable B&B and makes it especially enjoyable with great cooking, interesting decor and a very welcoming atmosphere. We enjoyed conversation as well as the basics of staying for 2 nights. We had a very pleasant room and even had a jar of home-made chocolate chip cookies for a late night snack. The views from the hammock made it easy to relax. Gary helped us plan our exploration of the area and became a valued friend as well. We'll certainly plan to return on the next trip.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Gary C, Owner at Angel Valley Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Hi K&M, Thanks so much for the review, the emails and continued friendship, I look forward to the day you are back in San Ramon and we can continue where we left off. I certainly enjoyed our traipse around the town I now call home and it is so nice sharing this beauty with others who appreciate the history, culture and such a delightful town. Until we meet again be well G
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 3 April 2013

This was our last stay before flying out and and we stumbled on it quite by accident , being refered by a local restaurant owner. It turned out, althought brief, to be the highlight of our 8 day Costa Rica visit.
The location is very scenic, the building architecture exciting and you could not want for a more gracious and accomodating host. The bedrooms were clean, comfortable and very exoctic with the natural stonework in the baths. The morning breakfast was definately 5 star served with fine crystal in a lovely room overlooking the valley. We are planning to make this our first stop on our nest trip to Costa Rica.
One thing should be noted is that Gary recently purchased, renovated and restarted this operation so that any reviews older than 2 years should be ignored.

Room Tip: Call early to get the larger rooms
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Hi Guys, wow! thanks for such a raving review, I too cannot wait for you to return and I hope it is sooner than later, my only regret is that you did not stay longer, I so very much enjoyed chatting with you and getting to know you. Thanks so much for giving me a five star on the breakfast, as mom said "it is the most important meal of the day" so why not make it exotic and delicious...I added. Take care G
San Ramon, Costa Rica
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I stayed at Angel Valley Farm a couple of times during the year I was Gary's neighbor, and have watched him transform it into one of Costa Rica's finest boutique bed and breakfast hotels. I've included "before and after" pix for comparison. Angel Valley offers spectacular views and comfortable spots to enjoy them, but if you're looking for something different, step inside, and be transported to a different world; Gary's photographs and memorabilia from a lifetime of guiding tours throughout Africa cover the walls and dominate each room. As you savor every detail that makes this place so special, don't be surprised if aromas emanating from the kitchen suddenly draw you to the stove to lift the lid and find out what's cooking! Expect ANYthing except gallo pinto and standard CR fare. Gary's philosophy is that you can go a thousand other places for ordinary---and he strives, at every meal---to serve extraordinary cuisine from distinctive cultures around the world. Remember that I tried to warn you to save room after Mexican, Italian, Ethiopian dinner for sweet tooth indulgence...lemon cake, key lime pie, banana bread, something oh so chocolatey... Trust me: Foodie heaven!

Room Tip: I always sleep in the room with two twin beds. If that works for you, the view will put a big smile...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Hi T, Thanks so much for such a lovely review, I miss having someone to test out the new recipie's on over a game of scrabble and having you book a room on a whim. I am glad you are enjoying your new home in the south and I look forward to having you come back again. I promise to let you win at least one game of scrabble......or is it the other way around. Take good care G
Oceanside, California
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed spending 2 nights in this beautiful location, where each guest is truly part of the Angel Valley Farm family. Gary and Donna are wonderful hosts, the rooms are spotless and comfortable, and the meals delicious. Only wish I could have stayed longer in this relaxing, peaceful location, so close to many of Costa Rica's sights.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Hi Barb, Thanks for such a nice review, you were such delightful guests and it almost felt like we had known each other forever, it is certainly guests like you who make what I do here not feel like work. Afternoon coffee and banana bread was such a lovely time spent with you guys, relaxing and chatting away as old friends, I was almost sad to see you leave and I hope we will meet again. Take care G
San Diego, California
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I spent a couple of nights at Angel Valley BnB earlier this month during my trip to Costa Rica, and I wish I had stayed there longer. Great location and wonderful views, as expected. And, of course, the breakfasts were delicious as well. The accommodations were spotless and roomy, creating a very comfortable environment to just hang out if you want.

But what really made the stay incredible was the hospitality of the owner Gary. He's an amazing person with the background of a true Renaissance Man. I kept telling him he needs to write a book. He was the highlight of the entire trip. Don't miss out on a chance to meet him.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Hi John, It was so great getting to know you and I so very much enjoyed the the conversations and I am so pleased you found us. I certainly enjoyed the shared interests in life and you are the kind of people I hoped to meet when designing and opening this inn, it makes it so much fun having guests like you. I also hope one day to meet again either here or in the States. Take care G