“Great food, excellent staff, great prices and top rated” 5 of 5 bubbles

Shogun
Ranked #207 of 279 Restaurants in Kennesaw
Good for: Child-friendly
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great food, excellent staff, great prices and top rated”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Had lunch there today and we were extremely pleased with the quality of food, the food preparation experience, friendliness of the staff and the price of lunch on a Saturday.

Before I go on, I had double check, then triple check I was reviewing the proper location. I read the previous reviews for this place and I'm really confused. Then I realized a lot of those reviewers have a low number of reviews which makes me question their authenticity (competitors trying to give them a bad name??) of valid reviews. I also did some fact checking and found out the person who claimed they had a 70 food rating is not accurate according to the Cobb County Health Dept scores. Their current score is 100 and have never gone below 93 going back 2 years.

The show they put on at the Hibachi grill is the typical show you get at any Japanese restaurant, except our cook was fantastic. He interacted with everyone and was an excellent chef. He made some good jokes that were appropriate for everyone at the table (young kids were there). The bill was very reasonable for a Japanese restaurant. I paid almost double at a place on the other side of town. The food was cooked very well and tasted great. This was my first visit and definitely won't be my last. I look forward to returning to this location in the future.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank CarolinaBlue73

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

They treat their customers terribly. Don't waste your money. There are way better places to go, Kuroshio or sushi bites is a great alternative.

• Visited September 2013
Marietta, Georgia
“Very Poor Management”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

The steak was good, the fried rices was not, veggies were OK. But the chef was a jerk. While he cooked, he made off color jokes, like "Japanese snot" while egg ran out of a shell and "Japanese toilet" as he poured oil in an onion volcano. This made one diner at the table refuse to touch his food and another nearly sick. The waiter wore t-shirt and jeans, but was attentive. What happened to classy people at Shogun? It was never this bad before.

Update: Owner Mike Cho called me. He said the problem is his brother's, not his, but Mike was too busy to properly discuss the issues. He offered a refund, but called back the next day and accused me of being rude. Mike seems to be a hothead who refuses to take responsibility for his failures. I don't think I'll get my refund now. I can see that the problems come from the top down.

• Visited September 2013
“Good food, lousy staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

The food is great, but the staff are less than average. We tolerate it only because the price and quality of food are great at lunch. The place smells!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Franklin, North Carolina
“Food was good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

The food was good, however, the cook didn't put on much of a show. I've been to many Japanese restaurants and the show that that cooks do are usually very good. I think that is part of the price of the meals.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Been to Shogun? Share your experiences!