“Nothing Beats the Good Ol' Varsity!”

The Varsity Town Center
Ranked #72 of 287 Restaurants in Kennesaw
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Panama City, Florida, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nothing Beats the Good Ol' Varsity!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

I love the Varsity. I will say this location is nothing like the one downtown, but nonetheless, the food is still good :). LOVE LOVE LOVE their food, even if it is a grease fest.

• Visited August 2013

“Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

An atlanta staple closer than downtown. It's mainly for the atmosphere and if you like hot dogs and greasy food. Don't come expecting to be amazed. It's just good ole chili, slaw and onion dogs with a side of fries and onion rings! Don't forget you fried pies and frosted orange drink on the way out! I think it's better than downtown....plus no long lines or crazy traffic!

Madison, South Dakota
“Never Again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2013

SAVE YOUR MONEY! Soggy bunned, half sized burger, burned onion rings, swimming in grease and just enough Coke to coat the cup of ice slivers, they call a drink and all at premium prices.
BUT, wait until you read about the stellar service!!!!!!!!!
The counter person exhibited a bad attitude with the guest ahead if me. When my turn came, I simply wanted my cheeseburger with everything except ketchup and mayo. I carefully reviewed the order again, item by item (cheese, lettuce, tomato, mustard, pickles, onions only, no ketchup, no mayo), with this person, who abrasively rushed the process, even though there were no other customers at any counter station. Based on her non response, I now found a third attempt necessary. Wrong move with this vocationally misplaced employee. When I wanted to confirm the order was being processed correctly, she dished up an angry "I got it", served with a side of indifference. When the grill person questioned the order, I heard the counter employee say "put everything on it, ketchup and everything". I politely spoke up with the correct order AGAIN. A co-worker, Katie, heard the confusion and VERY politely tried to help her and the grill person. I guess Katie is perceived as due even less respect or courtesy than I. The offensive employee let her have it with a loud "I GOT IT!" and physically gave her a dismissive wave.
Even though, now four attempts and two angry "I got its" later, my order arrived, INCORRECT, sans onions. Me: "I don't see the onions". Employee: (loudly) "You want onions?" (even though they had now been specified 4 times) Her solution was to almost throw about a half cup pile of wax paper cradled onions on my tray.
Upon meal completion, I approached the manager's office to provide input, only to find myself in line behind yet a third complaining customer abused by the errant employee.
While courteous and apologetic, this manager said he can do nothing more than relay the complaints to his boss, General Manager, Steven Simms. To date, four attempts to reach Mr. Simms at the store phone 770 795 0802 and cell 678 910 6731 have been unsuccessful.
Mr. Simms:
If you read this, my take is simple. Re-evatuate the product quality, quantity and price. Feel lucky you have Katie, who cares, and provide you know who an opportunity to explore a field requiring no human contact.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank M F
Ocala, Florida
“Fun blast of nostalgia in the Atlanta area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

My wife and I had wanted to try the Varsity for several years, but were always leery of the downtown location and access ability, so we had stayed away. On a recent trip near Atlanta, we discovered a Varsity location that is an outparcel building adjacent to a large shopping mall, so we stopped in. We enjoyed our visit. My wife had a chili dog, chili cheese fries, and fried peach pie. The fries are outstanding - skin still on and reminiscent of what we used to be able to get at local fairs and carnivals. They would be just as delicious on their own as they were with the chili and cheese on top. The fried peach pie was very crispy and delicious as well. I ordered a combo that included a chili cheese dog, chili cheese burger, onion rings, and a drink. I was able to get a Varsity staple Orange Freeze in place of a regular soda with the combo. The dog and burger were both enjoyable, but small enough on their own that a combo of the two is a good idea. The onion rings were good, no doubt sweet Vidalia onions being used. The orange freeze reminded me of the flavor of an frozen orange push up pop from childhood days. The restaurant was very clean, and had a very large seating capacity. You order at the counter, and we were greeted with the traditional "what'll ya' have" of Varsity fame. If we lived in the area and just wanted some quick, take out style food, we would definitely frequent the Varsity.

• Visited October 2013
Atlanta
“For any true Atlanta native, this is the definition of comfort food...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

While this location may not have the history or atmosphere of the original downtown location, the food is still just as good. The service has always been fine every time I've visited. If you're looking for fine dining then look elsewhere, but if you're looking for really good drive-in fare then this is definitely the place to go.

• Visited June 2013