“Wonderful”

Domaine de Coat Amour
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My partner and I spent a relaxing week here, staying in one of the two gites. We also for a single night had a room (gorgeous, with a great bathroom) inside the main house.

The house itself is externally stunning, while inside it's pleasant and a little more modest. There are very attractive grounds - including a communal swimming pool. Everything feels well maintained, and the owners (British) are efficient, friendly and helpful but also not intrusive.

The gite we stayed in - the smaller of the two - was well equipped and comfortable, as well as being pretty cool even in hot July weather. Among the highlights for us was being able to sit out in our own secluded area barbecuing and drinking wine until darkness fell around 10.30.

Morlaix is a good base for exploring the western end of Brittany. The Maison de Coat Amour is about 15 minutes' walk from the centre of town, and we mainly had barbecues rather than going to restaurants, but there are some good places to eat in town.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
staffordMorlaix, Owner at Domaine de Coat Amour, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Thank you for your kind words, Jenny and I so liked having you to stay, you were lovely guests. Knowing that you appreciated the cottage, our B&B room General Maxime Weygand, and the area is very encouraging. Naturally we think Morlaix is a fabulous base to explore the whole of Finistere and the Pink Granite coast!

Reviewed 30 June 2013

After 4 years staying in the main house in 2 of the fabulous rooms, my mother and I decided to try L'Ecurie, the larger gite. This enabled 3 others, Aranud, Ros and Phil to join us this year and, given that it will be my mother's 90th birthday, shortly, made it all the more special. (Jenny, knowing of this, had prepared a cake for her too!).
The gite is beautiful and exceptionally well-equipped. We wanted for nothing. Everyone agreed their rooms were great and comfortable. Arnaud mastered the fire and that, along with the heating, meant we were snug, even thought the weather wasn't as warm as we had hoped.
We now have favourite places to go and see - Les Enclos are fascinating for a start. This year we made it right across to the westernmost point and toured up the beautiful coast line there, together the with Rose Granite coast.
For food, two trips to Le Café du Port at Dordouff cemented our appreciation of this restaurant - great food, largely fish, and great value.
The Chaudron in Morlaix is very traditional and it appears, the only restaurant open on a Monday!
So whether you choose the main house - wonderful - or a gite - is personal choice and requirement. Whichever it is, Jenny and Stafford could not be better hosts or more helpful. We are planning 2014!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Well what can I say but thank~you. Jenny and I look forward to seeing you again at the beginning of September.

Reviewed 4 June 2013

I'm a single woman and I recently stayed for 5 days at Manoir de Coat Amour in L'Ecurie, one of the houses on the property, with long time friends who are a married couple. Driving into the property and up to the gorgeous main house surrounded by stately trees, immaculate grounds, blossoming rhodendrons, and a lovely small chapel to one side of the house, I felt I had entered a storybook world. You can read descriptions of the property and L'Ecurie on line so I won't elaborate here, except to say those descriptions are "spot on". The accomodations in L'Ecurie were outstanding; a home away from home decorated with care and with all the amenities for cooking, relaxing, and living, including a fireplace with ample firewood provided to supplement the electric heaters (it was quite chilly while we were there). Our bedrooms, each with its on bath, were on either side of the main living area so we each had total privacy. The twin bed I slept in was more comfortable than my bed back home. I'm a birder and enjoyed getting up early in the morning to explore the beautiful and immaculately kept grounds and the gardens on the property . There is a wonderful biking/walking trail on a former rail track that abuts the property which provides an easy and tranquil walk... if you are a biker, you can bike all the way to Roscoff if you are so inclined! I also walked into Morlaix several mornings by myself, and followed the suggested walking route marked in a brochure picked up in the main house (and available elsewhere in Morlaix). It was a wonderful way to get into the city, and to explore the narrow streets and passages for great views, and to visit special historic buildings and sites. Jenny and Stafford were exceptionally welcoming and helpful hosts, providing us with suggestions for excursions, and also for a great seafood restaurant -- Cafe du Port in nearby Le Dourduff-en-Mer. They also lent us some excellent maps which were extremely helpful for our excursions. This was my first trip to Brittany, and only my 3rd time to France. My friends have travelled all over France and stayed in many other Gite. They said this was the best of all. I'm assuming they will write their own review soon. I would definitely return here if I had the opportunity and will recommend it without reservation to my family and friends.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
staffordMorlaix, Owner at Domaine de Coat Amour, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Thank you for your very kind review. We are always delighted when guests enjoy themselves so much. It was a particular pleasure to us to see you enjoying our garden and all the bird life.

Reviewed 24 April 2013

My husband had been working very hard and needed a break. We both love France and were eager to visit Brittany. We chose Le Manoir de Coat Amour for our holiday based on the uniformly glowing reviews of this bed and breakfast in Morlaix. They were well-deserved. Jenny and Stafford Taylor were wonderful hosts. They gave us excellent tips about local restaurants and places to see in Brittany, provided us with maps and comprehensive directions, fed us delicious breakfasts and made one memorable meal for us on our arrival. We highly recommend a stay at their beautiful historic home. We will certainly return.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank miller_macleod

You have said some wonderful things about us ~ thank-you. After the labours of research in Germany, and as the week progressed you gradually relaxed into holiday mode, and we felt sure that you had benefited from your break with us. For Elisabeth we hope that the trip to and from Canada to overcome the visa restrictions was not too tiresome. best wishes S & J

Reviewed 21 April 2013

We thoroughly recommend La Maison du Jardinier where we stayed last week. If you want a hideaway then look no further. It was like a fairy cottage hidden in a Spring parkland. Absolutely stunning beauty. It was so peaceful, yet the city of Morlaix was only a short walk away with amazing architecture. The restaurants were sublime and we picked up some great ideas for dinner parties. We made friends with a university lecturer who was a mine of information about the history and culture of Morlaix and Brittany. We almost missed our flight home because of an impromptu last minute tour. I shall probably get a ticket for speeding back along the N12. Just managed to park the rental in time. We had a fab holiday.

Room Tip: The gites are self catering so if you want to be waited on, you should probably stay at the main hou...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Terry C
Reviewed 21 March 2013

My mother and I have been coming here for the last 3 years in the Chambre d'hote and have just booked again for 2013.
The Manoir is something special and has a real feel of staying in a 'home' rather than a commerical property. Jenny and Stafford have always made us feel both welcome and 'at home' and this makes us keep coming back. They are mine of local knowledge, be it where to sightsee or where to eat.
The rooms are wonderfully decorated and the bathrooms good too and the beds extremely comfortable.
We would recommend!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
staffordMorlaix, Owner at Domaine de Coat Amour, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2013

Thank you for your kind words. Guests who return year after year become friends and it is this that makes running a place like Coat Amour so special for us. It is always such a pleasure to welcome you, and we treasure the times you spend with us. We look forward to celebrating a 'special' birthday here in June.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

We stayed over a rainy weekend in September. after a very soggy arrival our lovely hosts Jenny and Stafford made us very welcome and had the tea on straight away. We had a lovely evening meal on the first evening which was paired with wines and made with local produce, all home made. Breakfasts were very good with fresh bread and homemade delicious jams using ingredients from their own orchard - the best kind of food!

The accommodation is a very short walk from the town which has a lovely open air market at weekends. There are a few walks around the town and the cafes and restaurants we ate in were very good.

The little cottage(s) - not sure if there were one or two - looked great for a larger group stay or even for a longer period.

If anyone is considering a trip to Morlaix, or more broadly Brittany I would not hesitate to recommend this B&B to anyone!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family