“Be careful where you sit or you may have only a great view of the back of people's heads.”

White Pass & Yukon Route Railway
Ranked #6 of 66 things to do in Skagway
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Built in 1898 during the Klondike Gold Rush, this narrow gauge railroad is an International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. Experience the breathtaking panorama of mountains, glaciers, trestles & tunnels from the comfort of vintage train cars. Rail service between Skagway, Alaska, Fraser, BC, Carcross, Yukon, and Whitehorse, Yukon.
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I booked this tour through our cruise ship and I had seen the favorable reviews so expected a very nice tour. We sat on the right side of the train going up and I'm sure the views were spectacular. Our views, however were mostly of the back of people's heads as they viewed the scenery from the seats on the left side. At no time, was it mentioned that the seats would be "switched" until the last minute when we began our descent. Then, the instructions to flip our seats and switch seats was not easily heard as people began to move about the car. Even though I spoke out and said " I think we're supposed to switch seats" - no one did.. I'm not sure why the tour guides could not have walked through the cars to ensure everyone had the chance to see the views by reminding riders to switch seats. When they finally came through they seemed much more interested in selling souvenirs. Many of those who chose not to switch seats slept on the return trip. I heard later from others that another trip by road gave spectacular views and they were able to get out to take pictures of the views.

1  Thank Travellight18
Write a ReviewReviews (3,996)
All reviews
in 42 reviews
"return trip"
in 84 reviews

Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

If you ever get the opportunity to ride this train, do it. The scenery changes every turn and is truly amazing as you climb up the pass. Don't just sit in the carriage, go out on the platform where you get much better views.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We took a tour on the railroad with a stop at gold panning when we left. The railroad was boring. We ended up in Skagway on a hot day and it was like roasting in a box. We had been told there would be a breeze once we got moving but that never happened. Our entire car was never so happy as for the ride to end. Kids started to get grumpy and so did the adults. The scenery is beautiful but I am afraid of heights so the entire ride was terrifying for me. I would not recommend wasting the hours for this tour.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

A college buddy took the cruise from Vancouver and arrived in Skagway. I had driven from Anchorage to meet him there. It's a long two day drive from Anchorage to Skagway. We had arranged to ride the narrow gauge railway together and it was a really nice day. Hardly a cloud and quite warm - about 28C. The train is pulled by diesel locomotives now. Since the cars are open and the front and rear, you'll smell the fumes. I'm not certain if coal dust and sulfur dioxide would have been any better. It's ok, but can be a nuisance.

The scenery and historical significance makes up for any unpleasantries. The hosts are helpful and stay out of your way as you look at the locations where history is obvious. In this rain forest area, the former pathways and trails are difficult to see after a century of growth. The history and the impact of what was required to get this rail route to operate are astounding!

Glaciers, snowfields, avalanche paths and rockfalls added to the complexities of building this railway. The signs of them are still present. Seeing waterfalls cascading down the mountain sides and looking for signs of bears in the area make the excursion pleasant in present day terms.