Sgt. Preston's Lodge
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
US$150
US$139
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
All reviewsin townlarge roomfridge and microwavedvd playerground floorferry terminalfree shuttlewalking distance to everythingcomfortable bedmotel stylecotton budsfriend's housenight's sleepstone's throwtv showclean roomsmain street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I like to stay.here anytime I come to skagway. The rooms are clean and large and it's a nice location. Very friendly staff and beautiful gardens. My only complaint is there is no coffee/tea in the room. But they have it all in the lobby for free.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Sext
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We have mixed feeling about Sgt. Preston's Lodge. We were in the 40-numbers bldg., so our closest parking was on the street, which turned out not to be a problem. The TV was an older CRT model with poor picture, but watchable. There was no in-room coffee, but it is available in the lobby (a short walk outside) after 7AM (if you're catching an early ferry you're out of luck). There was a large gap at the bottom of the door that allowed in some cold air and mosquitoes, so we rolled up a small rug and blocked the gap with it. Someone in an adjacent room woke us up around 3AM using the shower/bath. No closet-just an open clothes rack. Other than these issues, the room and furnishings were very nice and seemed to be fairly new.Good location for walking the shops. Front desk folks were really friendly and helpful. I'd like to give it four stars, but the annoying things mentioned above won't let me.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2014

First, for a town that gets 50,000 visitors a summer, there are surprisingly few places to stay in Skagway because most arrive on cruise ships. Luckily, for those of us renegade travelers, there is Sgt. Preston's. We were traveling with a group of 5, so we reserved two rooms (although the clerk who made the reservation was kind enough to offer one large room with an air mattress). We were given rooms 6 and 8. The bathroom was tiny with a little corner airplane sink in room 6, but the room was very quaint, clean and comfortable. Room 8 was quite large with what appeared to be a renovated bathroom. I don't know how you run a hotel with effectively a three-month rental cycle, but they do a terrific job at Sgt. Preston's and it is the unique quirks that make it an interesting place to stay, like the dog that sleeps in the window.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I agree with many of the positive reviews. However, on checking in I was met by two ladies who had the personalty of a turnip. Later in the evening I went back and met the turnips cousin. Zero hospitality. I had also reserved a wheelchair access room and was told at the time of booking they had one. Upon arrival one lady denied the conversation. Make a mistake but don't lie. Otherwise this is a nice well located place to stay. The yard area could use a little work trimming the trees back so people don't have to duck and bob their way to the rooms. I have stayed here at least twice before and previously the staff was great. Some rooms are better than others. This trip we all had great room but was a little tight for our buddy in the wheel chair.

Golf Buddies
Alberta & Whitehorse

Room Tip: Learn to speak Turnip
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Ken P
Reviewed 2 July 2014

nice, clean rooms
wi-fi was v. weak but that seemed to be consistent on the whole trip
big bathroom
short stroll to everything but most everything is in Skagway
heavy fog and light rain during our stay

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends