“Everything you need for a short stay in the area”

Hotel Residence Europe
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Clichy
San Francisco, California
“Everything you need for a short stay in the area”
Reviewed 4 January 2013

My French friend had a horrible accident, and the Hotel Residence Europe is located a few short blocks away on the same street as Hôpital Beaujon. Having just arrived after more than 25 hours of travel from the US, I wasn't picky about details; I simply needed to rush over to the hospital before visiting hours were over for the day.

The gentlemen at reception were very helpful, calling me a taxi so I wouldn't have to walk over in the rain after having had such a long international flight. While I waited, they told me about the sauna, jacuzzi, gym equipment, and pool (which I saw the following day, but did not have the time to use), and about their free WiFi, which I most definitely did have to use. They all spoke very good English, which I find impressive, considering I was in their country, and that the reverse certainly would not be true if they were in the US.

My room was small, clean, and efficient. The bathroom was larger than you might expect, and was clean and well-stocked. I felt comfortable, slept well, and ate heartily at the breakfast which was included in the price of €95 (very reasonable). The area is lively at night, with many places to stop and have a bite to eat, or a drink. I walked back from the hospital at 9 PM, and felt perfectly safe.

I wouldn't recommend this as a romantic place, and if you've got children with you, I imagine it would seem too small, but for a short trip such as mine, it had everything I needed. Thank you to the staff for making a long, stressful day a bit more pleasant.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
England
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Stayed in this hotel from 26th - 29th October. No complaints what so ever.

Hotel staff very friendly and accommodating. When we had a problem with the safety deposit box in room, they came straight away to sort it out.They planned our sight seeing route for the day around central Paris. Would like to thank the following members of staff - Philippe, Noel and Samy.

Room was not too large or small but suitable size for us. The bathroom and sleeping area were very clean and cleaned daily.

Swimming, Sauna and jacuzzi were clean and well maintained.

Lots of good places to eat and drink in the area, very cosmopolitan. People really friendly. Felt really safe walking around, even at night.

Metro around 10 minutes walk away. Trams came around every 3 -4 mins. Lots to see and do in central Paris, Boat is a really good and relaxing way to see the sights (you can hop on and off)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pablo S
Reviewed 7 October 2012 via mobile

Having stayed in different hotels in Clichy for business conventions, this was one of the two best hotels that we stayed in in the area. The hotel is very clean, the front-desk people were very professional and helpful, the breakfast is quite good, and the price was just at the right level for the hotel's standards vs. others in the area. The room is airconditioned, unlike a number of other hotels in the area. Walking in some streets in Clichy can sometimes be scary,and at night, if you room is not airconditioned, you can hear rowdy sounds from the street. This is in a good part of Clichy, and the restaurants and the Casino express mart near it make it convenient. It is not as near the Metro as other hotels, but otherwise, the hotel is really a good pkace to stay in.

• Stayed December 2011
thessalinoki
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Bad stuff:I was a long distance to the Metro but we got used to it.The worst part was that the rooms were realy TOO small and didn't had any sort of soundproof so you could hear anything going on in the next room.The lobby was small too and there was only 5 or 6 seats.The swimmnig pool was very small and there were only 3 lounges too seats.

Good stuff:very clean

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We booked an apartment for a week with the 4 of us in this hotel. We liked the clichy neighboorhood. A lot of local shops nearby. About 10 minute walk from the Metro. And the appartements where not on a busy street. Also just renewed and fitted with dishwasher and microwave. So we liked it here. Ofcourse everything is very small but you are in Paris. But for us it was the ideal place for our trip to Paris.

Room Tip: We had the apartment this was very nice.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I have stayed 3 nights in this hotel when I was on a business trip to Paris. Some of my colleagues got a room in the new(er) part of the hotel, while I was attributed a street-side room in the main/old building.
The hotel is located at 10-15 min walking distance from the Clichy metro station, but I have also seen buses pass by, so there may be other means of public transportation getting you closer to the hotel. Car parking is limited though. I believe the hotel has a few, but otherwise you may need to search for a spot in the area which is quite busy.
Frankly, there are certainly worse places to stay in Paris. Staff at the reception desk were friendly. The bed was alright, double glazing kept the street noise out and breakfast was better than average by French breakfast standards considering price (8 EUR). Digital television (mostly French channels of course) and free wifi (didn't seem to be working for everyone though) made for bonus points.
My biggest disappointment was the bathroom, which would certainly benefit from an update. I also found too much carpet was used, probably to control the noise levels, but in my mind it doesn't feel clean.
Overall, a decent hotel by Paris standards, but don't expect a luxurious, modern place. There have been some redecoration efforts, clearly, but not consistently throughout the hotel. So make sure you insist on getting one of the newer rooms.

Room Tip: Overall, a decent hotel by Paris standards, but don't expect a luxurious, modern place. There ha...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Kastaar2010
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2012

In contrast to the room shown on the hotel website when the accommodation was booked, the room was very cramped and the carpet was stained and dirty. The air-conditioning would not cool the room as the “cool” switch on the thermostat would not work. The bathroom had mould growing on the ceiling, on the tiles, on the shower screen, and on the floor. The shower screen seal was missing so that the shower leaked over the floor, the basin was badly cracked and the plug was broken, as was the bath plug, so that neither could be filled with water. The bathroom door lock was faulty and kept jamming and locking us in the bathroom, and the bathroom extractor fan was not working.

We brought these difficulties to the attention of the hotel staff during our stay and were advised to speak to the manager who was not available. We delayed our departure to meet the duty manager and explained the problems to him but he did not apologise for the problems nor offer any solution.

Room Tip: Avoid Room 31
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank A B
, Directeur général at Hotel Residence Europe, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Here are the elements concerning this customer request and the answers we gave to him at the front desk. Please consider the client talked to us about his dissatisfaction at check out time.

We expressed our regret he didn’t ask for another room at check in time, in order to give us the opportunity to provide a room that would fit his expectations, rather than a 50% discount as he asked at check out time.

The room that had been provided to the client is exactly the kind of rooms that are shown on photos on our hotel website. The only difference is that we renewed the beds and the bed linen. If the client visited our own website, he might had made confusion with the apartments photos (which happens).

The client told us the room wasn’t large enough. All our triple rooms are the same area which is the standard area for a 3 stars hotel. We had an inspection two months ago and our 3 stars approval had been confirmed.
The client complained the air conditioning didn’t work. We explained we use a centralised system that is on heater function or cooling function for all the rooms. At mid season, most of clients prefer to heat a bit the room at night time (the temperatures at night time were between 7° and 9° C during his stay). The air conditioning did work.

The client complained the floor of the bathroom wasn’t clean. I checked this point after his departure and took photos to show the floor was clean.

The client complained about a large humidity stain on the bathroom roof and that a plug didn’t work. We agree with those two points that had been fixed in the next day.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clichy
Atypik Hotel
Ibis Paris Porte Clichy Centre
Mercure Paris Velizy Hotel
Mercure Paris Velizy Hotel
#2 of 6 in Velizy-Villacoublay

Been to Hotel Residence Europe? Share your experiences!