“The staff at this hotel is top notch!”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle
Ranked #8 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersGold level
Illinois
“The staff at this hotel is top notch!”
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I recently stayed in a suite here with my family of five and we enjoyed our stay. Like the other Hotel Monacos I've stayed at, that Seattle location has plenty of charm and a stellar staff! I always enjoy the colorful, whimsical decor that is the signature of Hotel Monaco and my kids always enjoy the goldfish in the room. This location is right in the heart of Seattle, surrounded by restaurants and a 5-10min walk to Pike's Place. It is possible to walk to Seattle Center, but it was a bit far for my 7 year old so we walked a few blocks to the monorail, and rode the rest of the way. The room itself was a bit on the small side for a suite, but given that it's in the city center, that's to be expected. The same goes for the bathroom. The beds/bedding were up to Hotel Monaco standards and quite comfortable. The towels could have been thicker, but the toiletries provided were quite nice (and I enjoyed the full size containers so you never run out). Above all of that, the reason we enjoy the Hotel Monaco is the staff. They are so accommodating, helpful, and do everything with a smile. This is so welcome whether you're traveling for business or pleasure. The Hotel Monaco always feels like you're coming home!

Room Tip: We stayed in a suite on the 5th floor and the street noise was not bad at all.
1 Thank fijichick
GMatthehotel, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle, responded to this review, 26 August 2012
As the GM of the hotel nothing makes me happier than to read that you recognize the staff as being one of the key components of the hotel, every hotel has its physical flaws, some rooms are bigger, some smaller, location not so good or whatever, I have seen it all. but the staff makes the deal and if we can get a smile out of you and have you leaving saying 'that was a great experience' then I feel pretty good about the day.
Tom.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Corvallis, Oregon
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Stayed here two nights when in town for a weekend vacation. Our activities included baseball games at Safeco Field, the Chihuly Garden and Glass exhibit near the Space Needle, and dining/shopping along the waterfront (all a 20-minute or less walk from the Monaco) and the Woodland Park Zoo (an easy drive).

Though "great location" is a feature of all hotels in this area, why not stay at a Kimpton, where the decor is lovely, the drinks are fantastic, and the service is top notch.

Front desk staff were courteous and very prompt on check in and check out, and the valets offered a helpful tip for our drive to the zoo. Random encounters with employees in the hallways and while waiting for the elevator were also positive. Everyone greeted us with a "hello" and a smile, and made small talk if we seemed interested. Again, while these are characteristics you'd expect at any hotel, the Monaco (Kimpton) employees seem as if they do these things because they want to, not because management expects it.

Negatives: I found the bed a bit hard, but my husband thought it was fine. We kept finding random items on the floor of our room (a raisin, a beer bottle cap) that were either left from the previous occupants or dropped during daily cleaning.

Best part of our stay: When we admired a drink the bartender was making for someone else, he wrote down the recipe for us. (We ended up ordering it, too!).

Room Tip: Floors 10 and above are served by an express elevator. As noted in a previous review, rooms ending i...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
I wonder what that drink was? now you have my attention. Your notes are great, and yes we are surrounded by hotels, some great, some really really not so great, but its the style of the hotel and the staff that will make the difference. Great note, thanks for your time.
Irvine, California
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Stayed here one night in a Monaco room which has a separate living area with a sofa bed. The room was very spacious and comfortable although the table we had to move out of the way to open the sofa bed was REALLY heavy!! Loved the animal print robes and the dispensers in the bathroom, much better than those little bottles that are so hard to get anything out of. Great location only a 10 minute walk to Pike Market and loads of great restaurants. All in all a very good experience.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
GMatthehotel, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
That room you stayed in is a Monte Carlo suite which has a King bed and sofa/sleeper separated by a pair of heavy drapes. This is a great family room, when I travel with my two little darlings that is what we look for, what do I look for? the room has 2 TVs and I don't have to watch Spongebob!
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 18 August 2012

My family had a brief stay in Seattle following a cruise to Alaska, and we decided to stay at the Hotel Monaco in part due to its location (downtown in the hotel district=no need for a rental car) as well as the great reviews it received. The hotel did not disappoint! First, in terms of service, I found the hotel extremely accommodating. We requested an early arrival, since we were coming into port early that morning and didn't want to wait till late afternoon to check-in. I called the hotel when we arrived in port, and the staff was able to accommodate my request, getting us into our room at 10am, and giving us a chance to rest and relax before lunchtime. In addition, we were warmly greeted at the front desk, and given a bag of goodies as part of a promotional special we had chosen.

The hotel itself has a funky, modern vibe--the decor in the lobby and the room in which we stayed feels fun and fresh. We stayed in a suite, with a curtain separating the bedroom area from the "living room" area. We found it spacious for the four of us, and the pull-out couch--while about as comfortable as you'd expect a pull-out couch to be--was perfectly fine for our purposes. Everything in the room was clean, neat, and again, great modern vibe to the room. They even supply a goldfish to keep you company, which the kids got a kick out of.

The location of the hotel is ideal--we walked from the hotel to Pike's Place Market, then to a shopping area, took the monorail to the Space Needle, then walked back to the hotel from the monorail station. Certainly, there's more to see in Seattle, but given we were only in town for about a day, we were in a great location to take in some of the key sights of the city.

A few tips: (1) I'd recommend signing up for Kimpton's InTouch member program, if only because it gives you access to free wifi at their hotels; and (2) although there is a restaurant and room service available at the hotel, if you are looking for a quick breakfast before heading out for the airport, there is a Starbucks located right next door--for the cost of what four glasses of OJ would have cost us via room service, we were able purchase enough breakfast sandwiches, scones, juice, and yogurt from Starbucks for a breakfast for four.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Wow! you should be writing these responses. As mentioned above, this is the Monte Carlo Suite, we have about 20 of them and they are great for a family or for a special treat. Signing up for Kimpton In Touch gets you all sorts of good things, the free wifi is one of them, but you will also be in the loop for Kimpton specials and news updates, our web site is full of information when you travel anywhere in the US. There is a Starbucks next door and a Seattle's Best across the street, however if you feel a little splurge coming on, try the 'Eggs in Hell' in Sazerac or through room service, I dream of it at night!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 August 2012

My airline put me up there several years ago (1999 or 2000) on an SEA layover and it left an impression; I've always wanted to return to this hotel.

Service was excellent, very friendly, welcoming staff. The entire crew loved the hotel; we had great rooms. Kudos, Hotel Monaco! I'll be back!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank April H
Wow, that is some long wait. Glad we didn't disappoint. The Stripes and purple chairs of your first visit are gone but hope that you liked the new look, a little funky alot of style.
California
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We don't usually stay in boutique hotels but this looked like the best option with my husband's miles. We were very pleasantly surprised with the Hotel Monaco. It was recently renovated so everything looked clean and new. Nice colorful but tasteful decor. Hotel was less than 10 minute walk to Pike Place, great shopping and the new Great Wheel. Easy walk with stroller if you take 4th all the way to Pike. Neighborhood was busy but not crowded and felt safe even at night.

Kids LOVED the hotel. You may need to ask but they will give a goldfish for your room, a goody bag, a free toy from the treasure chest and if you fill out the "scavenger hunt" in the goody bag they'll bring warm cookies and milk to your room. Unfortunately my kids only like chocolate chip and they brought oatmeal raisin and pb cookies. Very nice touch though and my husband and I enjoyed them. Free Starbucks coffee and tea in the morning, lemonade in the afternoon and 5:00 wine. They ran out of coffee and lemonade one day but you can probably ask them to refill it.

We had some problems with our air conditioning but it was fixed quickly and they compensated by giving us free movies AND free parking! At $39/nt that more than made up for the inconvenience. (Call valet before you head down and they'll have your car waiting for you.) Our room wasn't cleaned when we returned at 3 p.m. but they quickly took care of that. No microwaves for heating milk but they let you use the one in the Porter's room. Pillows are super hard but you can ask for feather ones.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Monaco and will definitely consider staying there again on our next trip.

1 Thank liv2travel
As a parent myself, I completely connect with your comments and we hold meetings at this hotel on how to connect with kids. All the items you mentioned are there to make the place a little more special for children (although oatmeal raisin cookies is a stretch, must do something about that) glad we could make the stay special. there are also some great kid options in Sazerac, the chicken strips are home made and I encourage my boy to order them frequently, knowing full well that they will drift my way...
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 12 August 2012

I've stayed here a couple of times and in the last stay was put in room 804. It is literally a postage stamp of a room - does not reflect the quality of other rooms in this hotel at all. Right behind the elevator too, so you get to hear the woosh of air as the cars go by. Definitely seek a change if you have a room ending in "4". This was unusual as I am part of their loyalty program, stay in their hotels all over the country with some frequency, and am usually a big fan. This demonstrates the variability in rooms with boutique hotels, and it is worth sharing this sort of info with other travelers. Frankly, 804 should not really be a guest room in this hotel - and definitely not at the "full" rate they charged. If I got it a second time, without a steep discount, I would never choose to stay at the Monaco again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank smckd
Well that's a little severe in your description, actually I lived in one of those 04 rooms for sometime when I first moved to Seattle and thought it quite wonderful. Nope, would not want to be in there with 2 kids, but for a single or 2 people the room is smaller with a very cozy feel, The hotel runs pretty busy and those rooms are sold most nights, yours is the first comment in a long time I have had on them. We are always striving to have guests happy, hey if you don't like your room, come on down to the desk and we will always see what we can do!