“They aim to please”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle
Ranked #8 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Everyone pleasant, never saw the cleaning staff. I left my glasses which were turned in to Lost and Found. First stay here. I was not disappointed. If you like different food, the onsite restaurant had very good food and service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sharon F
There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Very friendly staff. Really central location. The beds were very comfortable. The décor is fun and having a goldfish in the room is a neat bonus. They have a nice wine hour in the lobby. I enjoyed the Happy Hour and dinner in the restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I really enjoyed this hotel. Great staff, great service, very spacious room, great breakfast and on top of it, in downtown Seatlle. I wished I could have stayed longer. The bed was extremely comfortable and the hotel very quiet even though it was downtown.

Room Tip: the 10th floor is apparently the best one. I was on the 4th floor and I had a great room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I booked this reservation for my bff's birthday. I made a mistake when I made the reservation and the front desk staff bent over backwards to fix my goof up and get us the room nights we wanted. My friend loved the decor from the lobby right up to the room. We had two comfy queen sized beds with plenty of pillows. My WiFi was free because I'm an "In Touch" member and they comped the WiFi for my friend as well. We sat at the bar in Sazarac, the fantastic in house restaurant and got several of the happy hour food specials. There was more than enough of each to share and I was stuffed. We even had a take home box when we left. Check in and check out was quick and painless. I've never had a bad experience at a Kimpton hotel in the five years I've been staying there. I hope to return many times in future.

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This was my second stay at the Hotel Monaco, and I've enjoyed it both times. The hotel seems to have been recently remodelled, and we really liked the decor. We stayed in a 'premium' room, and enjoyed the Gilchrist & Soames bath products. The staff are super friendly and helpful, and the evening wine reception was lovely. Join the InTouch program so you get free WiFi. The air in the room was on the dry side, so next time I might request a humidifier (which they will apparently provide for free!).

A note to women travelling alone: the location is great and close to lots of things, but also pretty deserted at night. I live in the middle of downtown Vancouver, BC, and feel totally safe in my neighbourhood at all hours of the day and night, but I don't think I would have been comfortable walking around alone in the area where the hotel is. Just something to keep in mind.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank girl_from_vancity
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Great location downtown. From the check in to the check out, I was impressed. I was greeted and felt very welcomed at the check in. I had just signed up for the Kimpton awards on the way to the hotel in the cab and that was recognized at check in. Very easy. Room was very large and nicely appointed. Bed was comfortable and room was clean. Conference amenities were good and staff was helpful. Breakfast/lunch at the hotel for conference food was really very good. For sure a surprise. Restaurant onsite was good.

Room Tip: Just ask the front for what you are looking for.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
GMatthehotel, General Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Seattle, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

thanks Portland, we enjoy having our sister city folks come up for any sort of meeting! We offer 3 wonderful Kimptons in the Rose City, the Monaco, the Riverplace and the Vintage Plaza we call our 6 Kimptons the Great Pacific Northwest! You will find all have wonderful rooms, and the Vintage here in Seattle just up from the Monaco is beautifully renovated. Appreciate your thoughts very much, come back soon!
Tom.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I am conflicted on my review because there were some things that were a little funny about our stay yet at the same time the staff was very generous.
We stayed at the Hotel Monaco for a little Seattle weekend getaway. Our room was upgraded complimentary which was very nice. The front desk reception and the concierge were fantastic, high spirited and very personable.
The rooms are spacious, but the layout and the furniture aren't great. Even with a
Premier Monte Carlo Suite there was little drawer space, shelving and cabinets yes, but not drawers. The light switch in the room only controls the singular ceiling light at the entry, all lamps throughout are either controlled directly through the normal lamp switch under the lampshade or on a very basic and ugly home depot bought Lutron dimmer that has been super glued to the bedside tables. The bedside dimmers control florescent lights though, so you have ugly, cheap freestanding lamp dimmers hand glued to furniture that control lights that cannot even dim... they just go on or off.
I found the bathroom a little small and cramped with a tight single sink (little room for toiletries), little room for used towels other than the towel rack in the shower (useless for drying towels while someone is showering) and a shallow shower tub that is higher than the floor of the bathroom (you have to step up to get in and step down to get out). The shower pressure is a little too conservative (it is a city surrounded by water after all), so much so that the massage features of the shower head are made worthless and basically spray out like a clogged sink. We also ran out of hot water one morning. I told the front desk and they said everyone must have been showering at the same time... Usually people do shower in the morning, maybe a hotel should be aware of that.
The bell desk (porter) was also not on their "A" game. I generally found them giving off a, "I'm really busy, you have have to wait" attitude when it came to assisting with baggage from transportation, storing baggage or getting stored baggage out of said storage. They were eager however to get us a cab, but we didn't need one. We stored 3 bags with the porter, one of which was an open tote/shopping bag we used at the Pikes Place market. When we went to collect the bags later in the day, the porter who brought them out told us, "Hey this bag is open." I know I said. His response was an akward, "ok" as if an open tote bag were odd. We found out after leaving the hotel for the airport that an item from the tote was missing... I realized instantly that the Porter must have accidentally spilled the bag on retrieving it from the bag check room, but he hadn't told us. My wife called the hotel to have them look for the item and they said they would keep an eye out for it. After our flight and unsatisfied with them keeping an eye out for it, I called the hotel and asked the front desk clerk to look in the bag check room for the item (assuming it simply fell out of the bag) sure enough they found it.

Overall, Kind of a mixed bag here. I have had great Kimpton experiences before and this hotel does look good. It is a cool vibe in the hotel, and the prices are fine, but the rooms are mediocre, the staff is generally eager and great, but the porters, maybe not so much. I think the hotel maybe just needs a little bit of a tune up.

I was really struggling deciding to give this place a 4/5 or a 3/5... I ended up picking the latter, but am still kind of on the fence. For this class of hotel, I think a 4/5 would be an excellent score and 5/5 nearly impossible as this is not Luxury accommodations by any sense of the meaning.

Room Tip: Go high to stay away from street noise, but not sure if the Premier level rooms are any better than...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mrjsuss

This hotel like all Kimptons was created from another building, we call it repurposing, when you create a hotel out of a box you end up with all sorts of sizes and shaped rooms, and from what you are describing, guessing you ended up in a smaller room. Some are big and some are small, sorry for your frustrations. Those light switches have never been called 'ugly' before but then they are a light switch and never have been acused of being beautiful. Your story about the open tote bag is unusual and confusing but delighted that whatever fell out of your open bag was found and returned to you. Delighted that you enjoy Kimpton hotels and hope you will journey back here to try out one of the three other hotels in the city!
Tom.