“A nice change of pace!”

Ranked #56 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Chicago, Illinois
“A nice change of pace!”
Reviewed 16 July 2012

My two girlfriends and I left the husbands at home and traveled around the Pacific Northwest (originally from Ohio). I went into this hotel not having done much research on it and loved it! We stayed in the one room that offered two queen beds with a bathroom attached. I will preference that i enjoy unique and eclectic finds and this definitely fit that mold for me. If you like basic chain hotels, this might not be your cup of tea. The room was very spacious and left us plenty of room to each find a spot to put our suitcases and spread out. The room had a desk, tv on the wall, long couch, chair, and built in cabinets. The wall against the beds had a mirror and a "how to" origami display. I almost wish they had provided us with origami paper. The bathroom was spacious as well. The shower could probably fit 5 people. There was a long bench and a cabinet that left more room than we needed.

Another great feature to this place is the location! We were able to walk everywhere. We walked to the Market, Baseball game, Pier, Space Needle, etc. The staff was very friendly and always willing to help answer any questions we have. They went above and beyond for me when I forget a framed painting I had bought at the Market. I realized hours after we left and they offered to ship it to me in Ohio, thankfully!

I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is looking for a unique place with character!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I stayed at the Ace at the recommendation of a friend, and after stopping in briefly at the one in Portland, knew what to expect as far as vibe and feel.

Our room was small, cosy and comfortable with a HUGE original work of art on the south wall. It bordered Wall St on the north side so got plenty of street noise. One of those days featured a parade of dump trucks working the adjacent property, but not a huge deal (as we expected city noise at a city hotel) but bleepin' bad timing for that day.

The Ace isn't going to be for everyone; it has the usual conventions but they're packaged in a unique blend of artistic fortitude and stubborn independence. There's a serenity to the atmosphere and a deliberate attempt to keep things unconventional... conditions that are ideal for some classic hipster sightings. Hotel staff are friendly and welcome, but the clientele are definitely doing their best to keep to themselves. We saw more dudes dragging themselves around in sullen displays of indifference. I've never seen a breakfast room so full of people trying their best to pretend they were eating alone.

If you're booking a room, there are options for a shared bathroom or a deluxe with your own biffy. Do yourself a favour and ask for a room away from the road. Soak up the artwork and the beauty of the differences that the Ace provides.

And if you're a fan of Portlandia, google their parody of "The Deuce Hotel"... it's bang on.

Room Tip: Get a room away from Wall street.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 June 2012

My husband and I were unpleasantly surprised with pretty much every detail of this hotel. Seattle is a city in which you need a car but prepare to park over two blocks away from the hotel and haul your bags back to check in. Once in the room, don't think you'll get a good night's sleep. The doors have transoms above them (windows) and the halls are lit up with a bright red light, meaning the red light fills your hotel room the entire night. Add to these things a lovely bar of "hip" black soap, and a bed and pillows that feel like straw, and you might just agree with us to name this the worst hotel you've ever stayed in. Unless, of course, you miss the feel of your first dirty, stripped down college dorm room.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah B
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I'll preface by saying that this is not your parents hotel, and that if you're looking for your traditional cookie cutter room, move on. That being said, Ace Hotel Seattle is by far our favorite hotel, and has become like a second home to us. My fiancé and I are from the west coast and make annual trips out to Seattle, each time staying here. The rooms are super modern and "hip," with a different layout and set of artwork in every room. While they no longer leave a karma sutra book in every room, there is a jar of condoms at your disposal should you find your stay as romantic as we do. Our favorite room features a beautiful shower separated from the bed by a floor-to-ceiling plane of glass. It also has a little atrium patio perfect for eating/drinking in. The staff has always been the best hosts we could ask for, and have become quite fond of them, especially Ed, who we think runs the place.
Again if you're traveling with your extended family and looking for the blandest box you can find with a pool to drop your kids off at, seek out the closest Marriott or Motel 6. If you're looking for one of the most unique and refreshing stays in the country while visiting the beautiful city of Seattle, this is your place. And if you don't mind paying for the reasonable upgrade, ask about the "room with the shower!"

• Stayed June 2012
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Unlike a lot of other people, I'd never heard of "Ace" so when I arrived I was very surprised. The entrance was nothing like most hotels and when you get to reception there's a beautiful wooden table with a fish tank next to it. Your room even has a real key.

The hotel is small and I wasn't aware that not all rooms have bathrooms. My room had a bathroom but it took me a few minutes to find it. Why? Because it was behind a large revolving mirror wall! Very cool. The room wasn't huge but had a king size bed, desk, tv, stainless steel sink and open shower. Plus two very cozy robes.

What I liked the most was the staff. They were very nice and very helpful in guiding me around the city and suggesting restaurants to try.

The location is perfect and while the price wasn't exactly cheap, it wasn't much different from the neighboring hotels. Plus, you get a unique experience.

Room Tip: Get a deluxe room so you don't have to share a bathroom.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 June 2012

The Ace Hotel is, well, "ace". Very friendly and helpful staff at checkin. Great design and location in Belltown, not far from Pike Place Market and near tons of great restaurants, shops and bars. A great breakfast was included. Downsides (which didn't bother me but might be an issue for some): There's a steep staircase to get to reception, which is on the 2nd floor of an old but cool building. But staff was great about volunteering to help with luggage. There's no on-site parking. The hotel offers parking for a fee in an unattended lot a couple of blocks away.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 5 June 2012

The good:

Clean, friendly staff, good service, decent location near Pikes Market and nightlife in Belltown.

The bad:

Must pay extra not to use the community bathroom and have one in your own room. Amenities aren't good.

Their breakfast is just coffee and cereal with some fruit and oatmeal. No gym. Very minimalist. It's basically just a room that serves a purpose as a place to sleep. Not very I'd say if you can afford it try somewhere else. But if you're looking for a budget hotel, you might be OK with this.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ming-O-Matic