“Started out okay and got worse quickly”
Review of Ace Hotel

Ace Hotel
Ranked #58 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Long Beach, California
“Started out okay and got worse quickly”
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I rarely speak poorly of an establishment but I think other tourists deserve fair warning. I chose this hotel because it received positive reviews and figured it was part of the Ace boutique hotel franchise. We were able to check in early and my husband napped. He was able to sleep with his ear-plugs while I heard our neighbor screeching for an hour and playing loud music in the afternoon. Also, the windows are old and have a/c units which let in a lot of street noise. In the evening, I hoped our neighbor would drink too much and pass out so we could have a quieter night. Well, he drank and was even louder. We tried the front desk at 3:50 am and there was no answer. My husband knocked on his door and asked him to keep the noise down but the guest just cursed and carried on. We tried the front desk again and this time they answered. They spoke to the guest. But, the story gets worse. The next day they moved the guest and us. We were changed to a room with two windows on a busy street and we found out the noisy guy was one room over. Nothing made sense, we had no rest and our initial stay in Seattle was sullied. My brother made a joke about the hotel before we checked in and we should have listened to him.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
12 Thank RChop

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Loved this hotel for our first visit to Seattle. Location was perfect; far enough from the main centre of Seattle to explore some of Belltown's great bars and restaurants. The staff were super friendly and very helpful. The room was small however had everything that we needed. We even had a view of the Seattle waterfront which looked amazing at sunset. Breakfast was included which comprised of toast, waffles, muesli and yoghurt. Great value for money; highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Takoma Park, Maryland
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I was a bit wary about staying at this hotel - from some of the more negative reviews, I was anticipating a youth hostel-like atmosphere and a noisy environment. In my experience, nothing could be further from the truth. My room was clean, comfortable, and funkily furnished.

The bathrooms were right across the hall and immaculate. There was no wait to use them - at least two were always available.

The employees were exceptionally friendly and helpful. They were quick with suggestions for restaurants and activities and a pleasure to talk with.

Breakfast was very good. Try the waffles, but there's a bit of a learning curve with the waffle machine.

The location of the Ace is also great - lots of bars and restaurants within walking distance, and the Pike Place Market is a 15-20 minute walk down 1st Ave. The Space Needle and Olympic Sculpture Park are also nearby.

The Ace is perfect for solo travelers and couples. I saw guests of a variety of ages staying there, so I wouldn't say the hotel appeals exclusively to 20-something hipsters.

I have no complaints - highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank FastEddie61
Reviewed 16 August 2013 via mobile

We loved this trendy hotel, with nice design, waffles for breakfast, candles and music in the toilets, a common room with books about the region, and a kind receptionist who came to carry our bags up to the first floor. A nice base camp when visiting Seattle, and quite affordable for about $100 per night.

Stayed July 2013
Duncan, Canada
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We always end our vacation in Seattle and we found this hotel on a trip advisor review...and we are so glad we did!! This hotel is in a great area of Belltown in amongst in hussle and bussle sits this cozy hip hotel. The rooms are a great size and we had one (107) right in the front of the building which allows you to people watch out your window. The front desk staff are great and the hotel is clean! We didn't mind the fact of the shared bathrooms and showers it goes with the hotel. If you need a great place to stay with a awesome price don't look any farther stay at the Ace!!!

Room Tip: ask for the front of the hotel if you like to hear the city noises and people watch out your windows...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed 12 August 2013

State-of-the-Art meets historic Architecture equals rooms that each have their own story to tell. We had a bedroom without own bathroom, so we saved some money, which we didn't regret at all. There's a sink in the room and the shared bathrooms are big, clean and plenty. What we really liked was the breakfast, even soy milk is offered. The hotel lies in Belltown - so many great restaurants, bars and shops are nearby. Also the Space Needle, Monorail, Waterfront, Pike Place Market and Downtown with plenty of shopping-options are in walking distance. We loved our stay but if coming back we would probably ask for a different room facing the backyard. Since we stayed right in the corner room on the intersection of 1st Avenue and Wall Street it got a bit loud in the mornings.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing either one street or the backyard if you're sleeping lightly or plan to sle...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cl_Ann_Ton
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at Ace Hotel for 2 nights during the week. The price was extremely reasonable given the location and hip/eclectic nature of the hotel. We got a discount by mentioning we are AAA members. We had one of the rooms with a king bed and private bathroom facing 1st Avenue. Other reviewers complain about the noise and, while it is a bit noisy, it is a typical city hotel room. My husband proclaimed it "one of the coolest hotels" he has ever visited. It is cool - rotatating walls in your room, a kitchen where you help yourself to stumptown coffee and breakfast, minimalistic decor...A lot of the rooms don't have their own bathrooms. We didn't stay in one of those but I did check the shared bathrooms out. They had about 5 on our floor (that I saw), and they were almost as nice as the one in our room-just smaller. You can go in, lock the door, and have the shower/toilet/etc to yourself. They appeared clean and not like what I was expecting (i.e. dorm style facilities). The location is perfect for walking to Pike Place market and all the Belltown restaurants and bars. A very unique hotel experience that I recommend.

• Stayed July 2013