“Surprised and Delighted”
Review of Ace Hotel

Ace Hotel
Ranked #59 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 1 September 2009

I needed a place to stay without shelling out tons of cash for something in a "convenient" location: within walking distance from the Market, shopping, the space needle, etc. Despite a few occasional regular panhandlers, it was a great choice. It’s very modern and minimalistic in a very comforting way. The staff is always super helpful (shout out to Amy) and friendly. If you don’t take advantage of the Seattle guide books in the main wait room which is available for you to jot down quick roam abouts in the city, you can ask the staff for their local take on things (like yummy bakeries). Complimentary breakfast includes a selection of your own fixings: yogurt, granola, toast, do-it yourself waffles, coffee, oj, milk. Downstairs in the storefront section of the building is a pub and a greek restaurant. If you arrive and is a bit tired, you can go easily to these selections. My friends stayed in a standard room and it is quite tiny: full size bed (not meant for a share if you’re “husky”), sink, desk area, small lcd tv, and a fan. I chickened out and opted for a deluxe room: queen size bed, ac, fridge, bathroom, lounge chair, a rocking chair, decent size lcd tv, desk, and major roomage to ride around on a bike. The bed was comfy, but I needed to stack 3 pillows (thank god I wasn’t sharing) to give me more of a firmer pillow feel. Wifi is free and available, so I was always connected to my friends and family whenever I felt like it. I laughed at the fact that they placed the karma sutra right next to the holy bible, but all that and teas, snacks are in this little cabinet in the room. By the way, awesome Ralph’s Brand shampoo, conditioner and body wash (I ended up buying it). At the end of the trip, i felt very relaxed and not wanting to go home...the room is bigger than my ny sized bedroom...sigh...

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank cloudiedays

Reviewed 19 August 2009

This is a great hotel for the price. We stayed in a deluxe room for $165/night which had a queen bed, shower and toilet. The room had one unusual feature - the shower was separated from the bedroom by a glass wall. If you don't want to know your traveling companion that intimately I suggest you ask in advance about the shower design in your room. I gather from the posted pictures that not all rooms share the same design.

Things that I particularly loved: self serve breakfast available until noon, coffee and tea avaiable all day, washer/dryer next to the kitchen, and location in a trendy and centrally located neighborhood.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2009

I booked a room here for very cheap for me and my friend to stay in. Once arriving- they told me it was a "shared bathroom" situation. So I upgraded to the real room, WITH a bathroom, for barely 50 bucks more. This room was awesome. I loved it. I had a great time. Don't bother staying at this hotel if you have hang ups about hostels, or anything trendy. If you love design, and art direction- STAY here.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank theideabeast
Reviewed 15 July 2009

We spent one night at the Ace Hotel in July 2009. We booked on expedia for a good rate (for the area) of $99 per night for a room with a double bed. The location was good for our purposes. Just a 10 minute walk from the Victoria Clipper dock and cruise ship terminal and a 15 minute walk from Pike Place Market. The neighborhood (Belltown)was kind of cool with a lot of restaurants and night life. The check in/out procedures were really easy and the hotel staff was very pleasant. The rooms were clean, minimalist, with a bed, sink, Ipod/music player and flat screen TV. There was no air conditioning, but the windows opened, so the room cooled down pretty well. Our room was on the street side. If you do not like street noise, ask for a room in a different part of the hotel. The rooms did not have a toilet or bathing facilities. There were five bathrooms, four with shower facilities down the hallway (for about a total of 30 rooms). They seemed to be cleaned pretty well, although I am sure not perfectly. Although the hotel seemed pretty full, we never had an issue finding one of the bathrooms or showers to use. Not ideal for many people and if we were staying for more than a couple of nights, this would have been an issue. They offer a breakfast in a room at the back of the hotel, downstairs a couple of floors, but we found a small bakery across the street which was pretty good, so we cannot comment on the breakfast. Overall, I could recommend this hotel if you don't mind sharing the bathroom. Otherwise, this is a good place to stay for a couple of nights if you can handle to shared facilities... if not, don't stay here.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 April 2009

If you’re looking for something a little different than the cookie-cutter type hotel rooms that could be in any chain anywhere in the world, try this. Great minimalist-style while at the same time managing to be cozy. Beds were very comfortable and everything was scrupulously clean.

If you’re turned off by the comparison to a hostel - don't be. It was nothing like any hostel we've ever been too. It’s more like house sitting in your hip buddies’ loft. Great eating and drinking establishments within walking distance. Overall an experience we would repeat.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TRV999
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Sure, it looks great in pictures, but overall, I'd say this is basically a hostel. The furnishings in the rooms were fairly low rent, and when I turned on the TV I received a call from the neighboring room begging me to turn it off even though it wasn't on very loud. That's when I realized we could all hear each other doing whatever it is we all do in the other rooms.

The staff were pretty nice if a bit "sleepy". We had to physically wake a guy up in order to check out.

Neighborhood was okay -- just another sort of trendy spot. I got semi-accosted by a group of teenage boys who blew cigarette ashes on me to try and pick a fight directly in front of the hotel at 10 in the morning.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank scottpartee
Reviewed 25 March 2009

The title about says it. It's sort of no-frills, but if you're fine with that, this is a great place to stay. The design and decor is modern but not in a pretentious way, the room is rather large for a city and fairly well-appointed, and the staff was friendly and helpful. For the price ($99/night), in a city, you can't beat it.

We were in one of the rooms that had a common bathroom. If you're worried about that, don't be: there was always at least one free bathroom, and every bathroom was always clean.

The one downside: The pillows weren't so great. If you can, bring your own - or maybe find a store and go buy one, especially if you'll be there for more than one night.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple