“awesome value”
Review of Inn at Queen Anne

Inn at Queen Anne
Ranked #73 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 30 July 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Inn at Queen Anne for 6 nights in July. While the room was a bit small, the closet was huge, so we found there was plenty of room for us. We even had a view of the space needle from our corner room on the 3rd floor. As the website clearly states, there are no elevators, so be sure to request the 1st floor if this will be difficult for you. We found the building to be very quiet and pleasant. The courtyard is beautiful and the breakfast is decent. Our room was air-conditioned, which was necessary after the 80+ degree days in Seattle's streets. Be sure to request this if visiting in the summer, not every room has air.

The location and price of this Inn can not be beat if you are willing to forgive a few vintage features and don't need a lot of creature comforts. We came to Seattle on a budget and wanted to spend our money on great food and sights. We were so happy we made the choice we did. We could walk from the Inn to so many attractions or take a short bus ride to awesome little neighborhoods.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,086)

Reviewed 30 July 2009

I would not recommend this "inn" to anyone. The place is old and could use a makeover. Our room was clean but the bathroom was disgusting---tub had rust marks; toilet seat was chipped, tile on floor old. The staff was very nice and helpful. The location is good because it is near the Space Needle and has many restaurants in the area. This is also an area where there are many homeless people hanging around because of all the "foot" traffic. Spend the money and get something decent.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 July 2009

I booked through priceline and got a room for 2 nights. For the base rate, it's not a bad hotel. But I would have been very dissapointed if I had paid more than what I did.

PROS

1, Nice staff - we showed up at 1.30pm and were promptly assigned a room per my phone request - a queen bed on the 1st floor (have a baby so did not want to lug his stuff upstairs). They were very polite and answered all our questions and even held our luggage for a few hours after we checked out the last day.

2. Great Location - Within walking distance of the major attractions in Seattle. Plus they have a free shuttle to take you to other attractions that are not within walking distance.

3. Decent bathroom amenities.

4. Okayish Breakfast. Bagels, Breads, Pastries, Juice, Coffee and Tea. Not bad for the price we paid (65 bucks per night). The coffee and tea were available all day, and the coffee was rather good.

5. Walk-in closet was helpful in storing all our stuff. Since we had a corner room, there was a window in the closet, in the kitchen and in the room which made it very pleasant even when the a was not being used.

CONS

1. Rooms do need updating. Decor was non-existent in the room though they do seem to have put some effort in the bathroom.

2. Kitchen was almost ghetto like. Ages old fridge and stove and microwave do not make a kitchen to me even though all functioned as they were supposed to.

3. The room backed out into a parking lot where strange people loitered at night. And noise from garbage trucks woke up my baby in the morning.

BUT overall, a nice stay. The staff made up for the physical shortcomings of the hotel, as did the decent location. For 65 bucks a night we got an okay room in a great location with decent breakfast and a free shuttle to the major attractions. Not a bad deal.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 June 2009

We booked 5 nights at the Queen Anne Inn through Orbitz, hoping to take advantage of the budget rates and their great location. I can't complain about the locaton--it is nestled in the heart of a fun, eclectic neighborhood with unique shops and restaurants--but I cannot complain enough about the Inn itself.

We entered the room and was immediately shocked at the general appearence of the room. Sure, we had made these plans ahead of time knowing that we would be sacrificing some of the amenities of a more expensive hotel for location, but this was god damn ridiculous. This place is not an Inn. It's a very old pre-war apartment building that has been converted into a hotel. We've stayed in old conversions before that are quaint and charming--these owners, however, did not take the time to hide the fact that it used to be residential living for smelly, middle-class hippies

Fine--the place didn't look great. Big deal. We went and explored the area and when we returned to take a nice hot shower and relax for the night, we were horrified to discover that the room doesn't have a shower--instead, it has a very large drippy faucet where you'd expect a shower head to be.

We went and immediately complained to the front office and were given a stock excuse--something about the age of the building and that sprinklers had been running all day (an obvious lie, the surrounding lawn is an ugly yellow). They later sent a "water engineer" and our bathroom shower was upgraded to a "light mist".

What truly put us over the edge was waking up to find ourselves COVERED in itchy, painful, oozing red marks. We're from a metropolitan city--and combined with the small, reddish stains that appeared on the sheets over night--we knew instantly that this establishment is CRAWLING in bed bugs. Most people won't realize this as only a small minority of the population actually exhibits symptoms once bitten, but let me tell you, we have never been bitten more in one night than our stay at the Queen Anne.

If there was any doubt about what happened while we were sleeping, it was quickly destroyed when we actually found a live bug behind one of the pillows--and upon picking it up in a tissue, was greeted with a nice splurt of oozing blood.

This is not a knock against the staff or the hotel's intentions. It's a decent building, great staff, and amazing location. It just happens to be infested.

We explained the situation to the staff and were promptly given a refund for the rest of the stay.

If you're at all doubtful about this review, do a search of "bed bugs queen anne seattle" and you'll be shocked.

1  Thank artiebrown
Reviewed 20 June 2009

Quaint hotel, but uncomfortable because of no air conditioning. Seattle was in the 80's when visiting. Some rooms have "air" but not all. It was filled so we could not be moved. No privacy when you open windows and curtains to try to get some outside air. We finally had to move to another hotel at 11pm. Good location and price.Pay for parking.

1  Thank Alice T
Reviewed 8 June 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at this Hotel following a Cruise. Working in a Hotel in the U.K I always try to be less critical when travelling as I fully appreciate the hard work and passion that is needed for this particular industry.

I have a few major gripes with this property, firstly the amount of time we had to wait for the room. I appreciate that check in time is 3pm however, I am also fully aware that this is a guideline and following good practice there is a way of putting the rooms on priority in order to meet guests needs as much as possible. Prior to arriving at the Hotel I telephoned to see if there was any possibility of getting into a room as we were exhausted and needed to have a shower. I was told they will do what can, when arrived was informed the room was not ready and asked to check back about in about an hour which we did do, then to check again at 1pm which we did and then checked again at 2pm, we eventually got into our room at about 2.50pm. I found this to be a little excessive and extremely annoying as there were also not many arrivals at this time.

So we then went to our room after dragging our heavy suitcases up the numerous steps and flights of stairs to walk down a corridor that smelt of a hospital ward consistently ( a couple of plug in air freshners may have resolved this!).

The room was in desperate need of maintenance. The ceiling looked like it was falling down! Obviously been painted over on numerous occasions however the corner with pieces hanging down were obviously missed or not picked up as needing attention. Also the pipe in the Bathroom got very hot at times and was no notice or sign warning guests of this considering it was in the way of getting into the shower.

I think Housekeeping did a good job considering what they had to work with.

It was very hot over the few days that we spent there and was actually quite shocked to find no air conditioning, however we could of coped with just the ceiling fan and the window open, if we were not literally on top of noisy ac units which were just outside our window from other properties. A suggestion maybe to equip these noisier rooms with Air Conditioning.

On our last night we were disturbed throughout the evening a a group of High School Teenagers, who seemed to be allowed to roam free. The final straw was when one of them tried to get into our room at about midnight and then 15 mins later knocking on our door. The night Manager did respond promptly to our complaint.

I then asked if it was possible to get a late checkout on our last day as our flight was not until 10pm Was told straight away a definate No, not that i will check and get back to you etc etc.. even though I offered to pay half or even full rate so we could rest ahead of a long flight. I was even more annoyed that when we were returned and collected our luggage just after 6pm, it was being stored in a clean room which we could of easily had and payed for, the same was true when we arrived and took our luggage to a clean room whilst we waited 5 hours to get into ours.

The continental breakfast consisted of a few pastries, fresh coffee and tea laid out in the Reception Area.

Overall the staff were pleasant enough, they do need to be trained in Customer Care skills and be more Accommodating to guests needs. I have stayed in many non rated, 1 and 2 * Hotels of a much higher calibre and cannot keep thinking what a gem this Inn would be with effective staff training and a maintenance programme which often just consists of a pot of paint.

Reviewed 21 May 2009

My boyfriend and I just returned from a fantastic trip to Seattle. We found the staff extremely pleasant and helpful--explaining map and pointing us in the right direction. We walked EVERYWHERE! Pike's Place, Chinatown, Pioneer Square, and of course Seattle Center. We were a bit apprehensive when we saw the room, but easily got used to it. Huge closet helped us keep the room clutter free. No a/c was a little frightening, but Seattle in May is not exactly steamy so we were fine.

Plus during these tough times, saving some costs by staying at the Inn at Queen Anne allowed us to book a 4-Star Hotel in Vancouver. If I was doing another trip on a budget, I would gladly stay at Inn at Queen Anne again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple