“Very pleasant surprise”

Ranked #76 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Granite Bay, California
“Very pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012 via mobile

I wanted to be a tourist in Seattle for the full day before heading home to Sacramento the next morning. The Inn at Virginia Mason was suggested to me by Hotels.com. I am a 62 year old woman traveling solo this trip and wanted some place within walking distance to shops, sights, bus etc. Upon my arrival at about 10:00am, the staff member at the desk cheerfully agreed to store my luggage or offered to check me in to my room (provided it had been cleaned). I decided to just let her store it and walked around this fab. city until returning at 4 to check in with "Lucy". I inquired whether I could have a room with street room, and she found one. She also reserved the airport shuttle for me, offered me the lobby computer to print my boarding pass. The room is so charming! Clean, spacious, quiet. Free wifi that works well. I will be back.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank vespa4jen
Carol G, General Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Good afternoon and thank you for sharing your kind comments about your visit to Seattle and our little Inn at Virginia Mason! It always makes for a nice getaway when you feel taken care of...we try to treat our guests like family. We were glad to hear that Lucy was able to share Seattle tips and provide exceptional service to you during your visit. The Inn really is a great location. . .close to all of the activity but definitely giving you a residential feel in the historic Seattle First Hill neighborhood. Summer is just around the corner and our Farmers Market at Virginia Mason will be starting soon on Fridays. The lobby and rooftop patios are beginning to be great spots to relax. We hope you'll return again soon and think of us as your "home away from home". Safe travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Great rooms! Very spacious. This place is breathing history! There is a 4 Seasons Cafe and a Tully's Coffee stand in house. The staff was super polite and very accomodating. Any time I goto Seattle, I am staying here.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank iloveurmom
Carol G, General Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Good Morning and thank you so much for your nice comments! We're delighted that you enjoyed our quiet and rich with history location. Built in the 1920's, the Inn at Virginia Mason was originally the Rhododendron Apartments. This was in the day when living in the First Hill-Capitol Hill area was the best address to have! The Inn still has that historic-residential feel and we look forward to welcoming you back as our guest to enjoy a return stay on a future visit to Seattle. Until then, safe travels!
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2012

I cannot say enough good things about this place. I did business in Seattle for a week and needed a quiet, clean place to stay. Every one of the staff I came across was courteous, helpful, and friendly. The hotel is attached to the hospital, and I ate most of my meals at the hospital cafeteria which was priced right and had many healthy options. This is a good no-frills hotel for people traveling on a budget who want to be comfortable. You will definitely not regret staying here.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Yi W
Carol G, General Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Good Afternoon and thank you so much for your kind critique of your recent stay at the Inn! Our entire team works very hard to ensure that all of our guests have a relaxing and comfortable stay. On your next visit, I hope you'll also be able to enjoy the food at our Rhododendron Restaurant (located just off of the lobby). The outdoor patio is a charming lunch spot throughout the summer or you can take your meal up to the roof top patio where you'll enjoy the views of the Seattle skyline. The Friday Farmers Market is a also a nice treat and will be starting in late May (right on the Virginia Mason campus).We're glad you enjoyed your visit. and we hope to welcome you back again in the near future. Safe travels!
Spokane, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

I recently stayed at the Inn at Viginia Mason on a business trip for the first time. The front desk was very helpful and friendly. It was charming, quiet, roomy, and offered much more than I ever expected. The Rhododedron Restaurant adjacent to the lobby had excellent food and service. I can't wait to stay at the Inn @ VM on my next trip this summer and sip a cocktail on the rooftop deck with a great view of the city and the water. A great way to relax at the end of a work day.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side have great views of the city.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Judy R
Carol G, General Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Good Afternoon, Ms. Rogers, and thank you so much for your kind comments. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next business trip to Seattle! We are finding that many of our guests are experiencing their "first visit" to our quaint little Inn. I believe our location on First Hill, allows our guests to feel like they are part of the Seattle neighborhood and not just a visitor to the city! The weather has been beautiful the past few days and our roof top patio has been a popular spot to take in the "winter" sunshine with city and water views! When you return, you'll see that we've recently added a new flatscreen television to your room. Later this year you'll also be enjoying new bed furnishings and light fixtures. Safe travels!
Juneau, Alaska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

Recently I stayed at the inn at Virginia Mason in Seattle. I usually stay at the Inn at the Market near the Public Market, but this time I had business at Virginia Mason Medical center, so I chose to stay close by. While the Inn at Virginia Mason is an old hotel, it is kept very clean and tidy, and the personal service offered by the front desk staff was great. It is well-located with several good restaurants near and a restaurant in the hotel as well. This hotel is ideal for patients at Virginia Mason Medical Center, as there is an elevator that connects (via sky-bridge walkway) the hotel with the medical center. There is storage for guest's baggage and I heard from more than one guest that hotel staff delivered their bags to their hospital rooms for them. Yes, this hotel is a bit dated, but it's clean and the price is right for a Seattle hotel in a good location. Tip: is you call the toll free number to make a reservation they give you an additional $10 per night off the the internet reservations price. I ate at Konpai, a Japanese restaurant near the hotel, and it was fabulous and very affordable.

Room Tip: The "junior suites" are only about $10 more per night than a standard room and are much la...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Traveling_Man_48_11
Carol G, General Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this review, 27 January 2012
Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your comments. We are working hard to provide our guests with a relaxing , "old-style charm" experience. I just wanted you to know that we are in the process of updating our televisions to flatscreens and should be finished with this project by the end of July (of this year!). We are also adding triple sheeting to our bedding this month. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Seattle. . .travel safe!
Ephrata, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

I was in Seattle on business and stayed at the Inn as it was right there at the Hospital that I was working at. I was somewhat concerned and did not know what to expect for $100/night in Seattle. The Inn is not plush with comfort but has an older charm of its own. Everything was clean and kept in good condition. My room was large, clean and comfortable. The television was a smaller unit, but that did not matter to me as I did not spend much time in my room and I do not watch TV anyways. The Guest Services Manager David Belcher was about the nicest and most helpful person that I have ever run across. All of the other clerks behind the front desk were also very friendly and helpful. It is about 8 blocks downhill if you want to go to the waterfront, great if you like to walk, not so great if you do not like walking up fairly steep hills to return. The Rhododendron Restaurant there in the Inn was another great surprise. The menu did not have pages of selection, but the items that were there were amazing and priced right, actually very reasonable, for the quality of the food received. The other feature that I discovered and really liked was the open air balcony on the 9th floor, I spent 2 evenings out there as the sun was setting. I was really impressed with my stay there. If you are looking for a place to stay where everything is plush and you want to be pampered, this is probably not the place for you. If you are looking for value and older world charm with a genuine and helpful staff, check out this Inn.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank jacksonTH
Ellettsville, IN
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2011

We searched on line for somewhere to stay in Seattle for a LONG time. It seemed all the choices were either very expensive and fancy or a little less expensive with shared bathrooms/no parking/other issues. We settled on Inn at Virginia Mason and it was a great choice. It's one of the lower cost hotels in downtown Seattle, the parking fee is not horrendous ($18 overnight), it's a clean/safe place, and - best of all - room service until 11 pm with low cost, really good food. And gratuities are not allowed! A very good choice if you need to stay in downtown Seattle.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple