“Good Value for your money.”

Inn at Virginia Mason
Ranked #76 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Hotel was basic but very clean. Very comfortable beds. Only negative is the fact it is at the top of a very steep hill.We did lots of walking and that was always the toughest block to walk up.Would not recomend to people will physical limitations that want to walk the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Carol G, General Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Good Afternoon and thank you for your review! We're happy you found us to be a good value for your visit to Seattle. Being affordable is our long term commitment as part of the Virginia Mason Medical Center family. Seattle is much hillier than people imagine it to be (I think we rival San Francisco on some streets). Because so many of our guests are staying with us for medical related visits, we always encourage the use of local taxis to get around. And we are always amazed at how many still choose to walk, both up and down our steep hills! I guess Seattle just brings out the exercise bug in everyone! We hope you'll be our guest again the future. . .safe travels!

There are newer reviews for Inn at Virginia Mason

Reviewed 4 August 2012

Inn at Virgina Mason was enjoyable with great service. While travel re-scheduling shortened our stay a bit, we enjoyed this smaller hotel. The desk and restaurant service were excellent. The breakfast at The Rhododendron in the morning was superb. Best French Toast in a long long time.

Neighborhood looks interesting for walks, wish we had more time.

Parking in the area is relatively limited and moderately expensive where you find it. There is a loading/unloading area in front of the hotel and across the street at a sister property.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Carol G, Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Good Afternoon and thank you for your kind review of your recent stay with us! Seattle is such a vibrant city but after a busy day of sightseeing, our guests enjoy escaping back to our little neighborhood here on First Hill. We're glad you enjoyed the Rhododendron Restaurant. The restaurant team has just added a new "express" outlet featuring organic sandwiches and snacks. So since your visit to Seattle was shortened, we hope you'll return for another stay in the near future. Safe Travels!

Reviewed 23 July 2012

We stayed at the Inn at Virginia Mason as part of a larger group for one night en route to our "ultimate" vacation. We had difficulty finding affordable accommodation in the downtown because it was a Mariner's home-game weekend and peak holiday season. The Inn had availability but was so suspiciously under-priced that I held out little hope. Our group was very pleasantly surprised by the Inn and I will certainly stay again.

The staff was helpful and courteous. The rooms (we had a "junior suite") were huge and comfortable, very clean and in good repair. The menu in the room (as a group, we were travelling with a swarm of small, hungry children) was affordable and the food was hot and good.

I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone. Then again, maybe I should not recommend it at all because there will be less room for me when next I want to visit the city on a whim. That's right. Stay away :) Good job everyone!

Room Tip: Junior suites were large, open and comfortable.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank familyonthego128
Carol G, General Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2012

Hello Canada! Thank you for your nice review. We were glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us enroute to your ultimate vacation destination. Yes, we think we have a great location at a great value, and we hope we exceeded your expectations. Please tell a few of your friends to come stay with us. . .we will take good care of them too. Safe travels!

Reviewed 16 July 2012

I was a little nervous when we arrived at the hotel. We are from a "small town" in comparison to Seattle. Parking was a nightmare because we were unaware this hotel did not have an attached parking area and as I said, we are from a smaller town and had no idea where we were going nor that it was so expensive. When we finally did get into the room, is was very cozy and spacious. To be honest, When I found out it was attached and part of the hospital and was very afraid that our room would be haunted!!! But, I was very wrong. Our room was not haunted, it was close to everything we wanted to do and places we wanted to go. We did order room service which was quick and the food was good. All the staff was very friendly. I have to say it turned out to be a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Hello from the Inn! Thank you for your review. We appreciate your comments and are happy to learn than you enjoyed your stay in Seattle with us. You are correct, parking is a nightmare - everywhere in Seattle! While our parking prices are some of the best in the city, we are working with are parking service parnters to improve communication of options and to better help you get back and forth to the Inn. We liked your comment about thinking our rooms might be haunted. Yes, the building was built in the 20's and while it is cozy and spacious, we promise not to check in any extra "ghosts" into your room while your with us! Please come back and see us again real soon. . .I love Springfield by the way. You are from a charming small town. . .safe travels!

Reviewed 13 June 2012

I found the hotel charming and comfortable. Its location, especially given its prices, can’t be beat. A short 10-15 minute walk to almost all of Seattle’s downtown areas, including Pike Market, the Seattle Public Library and much more makes this a great choice for nearly any traveler. Situated within the Virginia Mason Hospital complex, it is an older building, with all the pros and cons of any historical building. In general, the property has been taken care of quite well, and the staff was courteous and polite, and check-in was smooth. The lobby is clean and relatively small, but certainly welcoming.

One of the first older remnants you will notice is the elevator. While I’m not sure if it’s original to the building, it’s old. Depending on your personality, you’ll either find it unnerving or charming. It’s a bit noisy, it doesn’t stop firmly at floors and as the doors open, the elevator is actually still moving into place. Me? I find it charming.

The rooms are clean and well appointed. Entering into the room, you’re greeted by a fairly standard room arrangement of two twin beds, a small sitting area with table and chairs, a couple of dressers, a flat screen TV and style that seems fitting for the building. The bathroom was also clean and well maintained, if a bit small (though given the age of the building, that’s no surprise). The room I booked into had a walk-in closet so big, you could probably put a spare bed in for additional guests. Wireless access for Internet was not a problem anywhere in the hotel.

The beds were perfectly fine and linens were clean and tasteful. There doesn’t appear to be any air conditioning, so it can get a bit stuffy and warm in the rooms in the summer, but opening the windows worked fine. There is noise from the hospital, but I didn’t find it all that bad at all.

Be aware that, for some reason, the small restaurant next to the lobby isn’t open for service on weekends, and coffee/tea service was a bit sporadic (it was there one morning I came down, but not the first morning, and I had to ask for coffee at the front desk, which had been put away an hour early). I ate in the on-site restaurant one day, and it was fine, but a better option is to go a block east to Corner Café, which was a gem the entire time I was there.

Ultimately, my experience at the Inn at Virginia Mason was extremely positive, and I would certainly consider staying there on future trips to Seattle. I would also have no problem recommending it to other travelers looking for a reasonably priced, centrally located, good quality lodging option in Seattle.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank bmmimages
Carol G, General Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

Good morning and thank you so much for your kind critique of your stay at the Inn! We really appreciate your feedback and I've shared your comments with our team. While our property is older (we liked your description of charming and comfortable better!), we agree that our location, sincere guest service and great price can't be beat in Seattle! We hope you stay with us again on your next visit to the area. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back in the near future! Safe travels.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

I wanted to be a tourist in Seattle for the full day before heading home to Sacramento the next morning. The Inn at Virginia Mason was suggested to me by Hotels.com. I am a 62 year old woman traveling solo this trip and wanted some place within walking distance to shops, sights, bus etc. Upon my arrival at about 10:00am, the staff member at the desk cheerfully agreed to store my luggage or offered to check me in to my room (provided it had been cleaned). I decided to just let her store it and walked around this fab. city until returning at 4 to check in with "Lucy". I inquired whether I could have a room with street room, and she found one. She also reserved the airport shuttle for me, offered me the lobby computer to print my boarding pass. The room is so charming! Clean, spacious, quiet. Free wifi that works well. I will be back.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank vespa4jen
Carol G, General Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Good afternoon and thank you for sharing your kind comments about your visit to Seattle and our little Inn at Virginia Mason! It always makes for a nice getaway when you feel taken care of...we try to treat our guests like family. We were glad to hear that Lucy was able to share Seattle tips and provide exceptional service to you during your visit. The Inn really is a great location. . .close to all of the activity but definitely giving you a residential feel in the historic Seattle First Hill neighborhood. Summer is just around the corner and our Farmers Market at Virginia Mason will be starting soon on Fridays. The lobby and rooftop patios are beginning to be great spots to relax. We hope you'll return again soon and think of us as your "home away from home". Safe travels!

Reviewed 22 March 2012

Great rooms! Very spacious. This place is breathing history! There is a 4 Seasons Cafe and a Tully's Coffee stand in house. The staff was super polite and very accomodating. Any time I goto Seattle, I am staying here.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank iloveurmom
Carol G, General Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Good Morning and thank you so much for your nice comments! We're delighted that you enjoyed our quiet and rich with history location. Built in the 1920's, the Inn at Virginia Mason was originally the Rhododendron Apartments. This was in the day when living in the First Hill-Capitol Hill area was the best address to have! The Inn still has that historic-residential feel and we look forward to welcoming you back as our guest to enjoy a return stay on a future visit to Seattle. Until then, safe travels!