“Run down but very comfy like staying with Granny”

Inn at Virginia Mason
Ranked #75 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The hotel advertises itself as being like an English Inn. I don't know about that; it was typical hotel except for some faded prints of pastoral scenes on the wall. Never mind that, it was quiet and comfortable. More than adequate air conditioning except hallways were suffocating. Obviously over decades of wear and tear the fine details have been diminished a bit, and its evident that not a lot of money has gone into refinishing with fine craftsmanship (quite the opposite in fact). So it's a little shabby, but as we had an appointment in the adjoining hospital, we found the location to be absolutely phenomenal and will return to this Inn time and again whenever we need hospital services.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor; there are only two suites up there so no noise from the neighbors.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Carol G, General Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Good morning and thank you for your recent review of your stay with us. We're glad the location was right for your stay and plan to return to us in the future. We do have some renovation plans in the works (new hallway carpeting and guest room lighting). Hopefully you'll continue to see improvements on each visit. We look forward to welcoming you again soon. Safe travels!

Reviewed 27 July 2013

Spent 5 days in Seattle and The Inn at Virginia Mason was the most reasonably priced hotel we found. The hotel itself is located/connected to the Virginia Mason Hospital. That was no problem, but the location of the hotel to all the attractions we wanted to see was quite far...and the walk is a tough one. The hotel is 10-12 blocks from the activities on Alaskan Way ( main "tourist attraction" street) and about 12-14 blocks from Pike Street Market area. The walk to the areas of our interest was easy getting there (all down hill) but coming back is a killer. Literally 10-15 blocks of straight uphill walking! Elderly people and small children would never make it!

The hotel was clean, but had no microwave, no fridge, minimal TV stations, and there are not many places to eat/buy munchie food nearby. Once you're back at your room, it should be to sleep only. The vending machine has no typical munchie foods, only "organic" selections and I never could even figure out what they were. There's a small cafe inside the hotel, but the selection is more of the "finger food" variety.

Our next trip to Seattle we'll spend more to get a place closer to activities. Felt very secluded. The staff is so nice, friendly, rooms ok but not conducive to the Seattle experience we were looking for.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank 825TheresaF825

Good Morning Theresa. Thank you for your recent review of your stay withus. It sounds like we offered you the right price but the wrong location. Yes, Seattle is very hilly and this sometimes takes visitors by surprise. The majority of our guests are staying with us for medical related visits so the convenience of the location near the world-class medical facilities here on First Hill trumps the trek to the tourist attractions. We appreciate your nice comments regarding the team. Safe travels!

Reviewed 7 July 2013

Rooms are spacious and pleasant. Personnel is most gracious. Outstanding room service with incredibly reasonable prices for a large variety of items. This stay was for a hospital visit and the choice of the Inn proved most convenient.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Carol G, General Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Nice to hear from you and thank you for your comments! We are very proud to be part of the Virgina Mason Medical Center campus and work hard to serve all of the world-class medical facilities here on First Hill. Please come back and see us again soon. Safe travels!

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Lots of character. Beds were comfortable. I had surgery at Virginia Mason, so it was convenient for my husband and I to stay there. Everyone was so helpful. (Extra pillows at midnight!!). We has room service the evening I got released as there are no close places to eat in the evening. The food was good and prices were reasonable. I can not say enough good things about the staff and their helpfulness!!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Hi Vicki - Thank you so much for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. Our team is here to make your stay with us as comfortable as possible and I am glad we were able to do that! We hope to see you again soon. Until then, safe travels.

Reviewed 25 June 2013

The Inn is older but the rooms are clean and mine was a double room. It was very roomy. The little breakfast cafe is not open on weekends. The lobby area is small but its sister Hotel across the street has a larger lobby area. Not sure why you have to go across the street to get water if you want it. I think both should supply this comfort. It is actually right up against the Virginia Mason Hospital. You can walk easily to the water and the downtown area which is downhill , but it is a nice climb back up. For our family function it was ideally situated for our use. They also have a town car that will pick you up at the airport for only $40.00 actually same as a taxi. Rates were $119.00 for my room which was for a single and per night for three nights. Beds were very comfortable and I slept well.

Room Tip: Room 611 was larger than some others I had seen. It does open up to the hospital side but its really...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 10,356

Thank you for your recent stay with us! We're glad you enjoyed the "neighborhood". Back in it's day, First Hill was the place to live when you worked in Seattle. Many of the old buildings have disappeared but we are very proud to still be in business! We have many improvements planned for the near future (and I like your recommendation to get the filtered water system into the lobby at the Inn too). Please come back and see us soon. Safe travels!

Reviewed 19 June 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Inn at Virginia Mason over Memorial Day weekend. I can't say enough about the front desk staff at the hotel. They all were very helpful and very pleasant, especially Kevin (sorry, I think that was his name but I can't find where I wrote it down!), who was on duty for a few of the nights when we were there. His recommendations for restaurants near the hotel were excellent! The room was very comfortable and clean. The only issue we had was that the people staying in the room next to us on Saturday night were a little loud, but they quieted down at a reasonable hour so it really wasn't that big of a deal. The TV was dated but the room had a Keurig coffee maker, which more than makes up for the TV in my opinion. Be warned that the hotel is on a very steep hill, but Seattle is a very suprisingly hilly place so I wouldn't say that should be a consideration unless you have mobility issues. My husband and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Good afternoon and thank you for staying with us. Good news - all guest rooms now have flat screen televisions and new bedding. Wish I could do something about the hills in Seattle (this catches most travelers by surprise). Please come back and see us again soon. Until then, safe travels!

Reviewed 8 May 2013

The Inn at Virginia Mason is attached to Virginia Mason hospital. Some floors of the hotel are hospital offices (anesthesiology is on floor 2, for example). You'll see people in scrubs on the stairs and elevators.

The rooms are old, in a part charming, and part just old way. The closets were huge, a nice bonus. The bathtub had some chips, and some plastic on the toilet seat was peeling away. There's no AC which normally isn't a problem; it was hot when I was there and the hotel gave me a fan, which was adequate. The staff was super helpful in general.

There is a nice little breakfast place in the hotel, the Rhody, which was not overpriced and was quick. The location is great, 10 blocks to the Sound and about 2 blocks to the Convention Center.

I was on a business trip and was paying my own way, so the price (about half of the chain hotels) was right and I'd stay again. If someone else were paying, I'd stay elsewhere, but the location and value were terrific for me. I would not recommend this hotel for a romantic weekend or a family vacation.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank sdv001

Thank you for your review! We're glad you found us suitable for your business trip. We hope your trip was successful and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you again in the future - our prices will always be the best in the city! Safe travels.