“Quaint But Not Business Hotel”

Inn at Virginia Mason
Ranked #76 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

This is a older classic hotel trying to be "with it". But 1 slow small elevator, a lot of steps to get to reception, narrow hallways. Think France. With free Internet and nice coffee shop.

But the hotel is surrounded by the hospital and hospital parking is expensive. The street is steep. Limited local food.

I think a lot of people here have family at hospital.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank dsober
Carol G, General Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Hi Traveler - Thank you for your review. Many of our guests say the Inn feels like a small New York or European style hotel so thank you for the compliment! We actually consider ourselves a residential style hotel (not a business hotel) but when the city fills up and business travelers can't find a room, we take them too! We hope you'll come back soon and enjoy all that Seattle has to offer. Until then. . .safe travels.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

This hotel has seen vast upgrades since previous reviews. New tvs, bedding, a keurig coffee maker. I personally didn't need the use of a microwave or mini fridge, but I know some guests expect such things. The room was clean and surprisingly quiet. We admit we were worried about the potential noise from the hospital but we heard nothing the entire night. The room had an old charm, I felt like I was staying somewhere with history instead of some cookie cutter mega chain hotel. Unfortunately we didn't get to try the café downstairs but the smells wafting from it were mouthwatering! In great walking distance to downtown if you're up to the walk, but be warned the walk back will be uphill. My boyfriend and I were able to take in all the classic Seattle experiences in walking distance: Pike Place, a ferry ride, an amazing seafood lunch, local coffee, and we even trekked over to the Space Needle. I do not suggest the walk back to this hotel from the Needle, your feet will hate you, but there are plenty of affordable and friendly taxis around. Although we didn't get to try it the room service looked delicious and was crazy affordable, which is a nice change from what I usually see at hotels. The Inn at Virginia Mason is 100% worth the stay, especially for the price. Staff was highly attentive and friendly, other guests were respectful and quiet. Ten out of ten would stay again.

Room Tip: If you can, request a room on one of the top floors for an awesome view!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Travelers! Thank you for your very kind review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay. I think you need to come back during the summer and enjoy our perfect weather. Please consider us your home away from home. . .safe travels!

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed at the Inn a couple of years ago for my husband's 11 stay at Swedish Hospital. I found the staff to be very helpful and kind. I actually liked the vintage but slightly chipped tile and other funky features. It wasn't the sterile "Best Western" cookie cutter hotel.

But the two things that really made it stand out are now gone. The restaurant, while still there, is there in name only. Formerly it served real sit down meals, not the order at the counter deli-stlye set up. The food isn't bad but it is not the place it once was. It was a comfort to meet with family and friends and even other families of patients in something other than a functional cafeteria.

The Inn and the Baroness stopped the afternoon gatherings they once had for the guests. This again was a comfort to meet other people staying there. It made the cramped elevator rides and the meeting of the same people in the hallways much more friendly and a lot less awkward.

While I do say I enjoy the vintage feel I did notice this time the facilities in my room were moving from "charming" to "rough around the edges". There is a difference between preserving vintage charm and lack of maintenance.

But still I don't think you can beat the helpful staff, location or price. This is a very good option for anyone with family at Virginia Mason or Swedish.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Seaem
Carol G, General Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Hi Travelers, Thank you for your comments. We are so sorry you didn't see or enjoy some of the improvements we have made since your last visit: new flatscreen televisions, lamps, coffee makers, bedding, shower curtains, hallway carpet, lighting and paint. . .it's actually been a busy time of renovations since your last visit. And we still have the get togethers for our guests. . .lobby coffee in the Baroness every morning, muffins on Wednesday mornings, and tea and cookies on Thursday afternoons (we missed you!). It was nice to hear you speak fondly of the restaurant. The decision to change the concept in this area was actually made by the folks at the medical center to attract more diners and hospital visitors (in addition to hotel guests). We hope to welcome you back again in the future. Until then, safe travels!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

This was primarily a business trip for me at Virginia Mason Hospital. So staying close to the hospital cannot be any more possible than this example I think! I agree with the other reviews about the building/rooms being old. It is well maintained both functionally and cleanliness wise. Sure you’ll find some peculiar cosmetic items: chipped tile, different era furniture, but it’s all clean and functional.
I found my room to be spacious with a comfortable queen size bed, flatscreen, coffee maker& hairdryer. The thermo stat was responsive, the wifi connected easily and worked as expected, and the bathroom was fine.
The location of this hotel was great for reaching downtown attractions and Capitol Hill by foot. For example, I strolled to the Space Needle in approximately 30 min. I then strolled to Pikes Place and then back up to the hotel.
Parking is probably the biggest drag; I parked at the bottom of the hill (9th & Spring) and just left the car there until I left.
I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The vending machine had organic choices or at least items made with all pronounible ingredients.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Carol G, General Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Hi Traveler, So nice to hear your comments about your recent stay! We've been able to make a few upgrades this past year and it sounds like it helped make your stay more enjoyable. We hope to welcome you again in the near future. The Seattle Mariners and Sounders FC are in full swing, the farmers markets are up and running, boating season has begun. . .always plenty to see and do in Seattle. Safe travels!

Reviewed 27 March 2014

We've stayed here twice in the last year and been very happy with it both times. The location is outstanding, especially if you want to get to downtown or Pike/Pine street restaurants by walking or the Capitol Hill area by bus. Super easy. When we were with family who aren't the walkers we are, we also had an easy time getting around with cabs.

The cafe downstairs has good food at really reasonable prices and it open quite early (great if your body is on eastern time). You can get a nice hot breakfast or just something simple like yogurt and toast. On the weekends when the cafe is closed it's just a block to a friendly breakfast cafe.

You're just down the street from The Sorrento Hotel where you can luxuriate with live music and a cocktail in the evenings.

Rooms are clean but not fancy. The bed is comfortable and our rooms have always been quiet and restful. We'll definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank ANB315

Thank you for your comments! Clean, not fancy, quiet and restful. . .what a great way to describe your stay. We're glad you enjoy our First Hill neighborhood here in Seattle and we look forward to welcoming you on a future visit to Seattle. Until then, safe travels!

Reviewed 1 March 2014

Our 2 night stay at The Inn met or exceeded our every expectation. I would give the hotel 4 and 1/2 stars if I could, with deductions only for a couple of minor cosmetic defects in the bathroom.The hotel is old fashioned, not the Ritz, not glitzy but homey. It is attached directly to Virginia Mason hospital so a patient can walk directly into the Inn without going outside at all. The building was originally a fairly elegant apartment building on First Hill . The reception was efficient, located next to the small cafe downstairs. The room was fine. Nice queen sized bed. Somewhat slow internet connection, but adequate. We had absolutely superb room service meals at an incredibly low price. Everything fresh and tastefully delivered 1/2 hour after ordering. Rooms are a terrific value with a discount for hospital patients when book directly through the web site. A great place to stay if one has a hospital or clinic appointment in the many facilities in or around the Virginia Mason complex. Congratulations to the management and staff. Added bonus of a roof top terrace on the 9th floor.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank bassman46
Carol G, General Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Good Morning Port Townsend, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit. Nice, comfortable, historic and terrific value are exactly what we are striving for! Please consider us your home away from home on your next visit to Seattle. Safe travels, Carol

Reviewed 16 February 2014

Was faced with another emergency for my wife and not knowing the area had no choice but to stay at the Inn. Although the establishment was cleaner, still found debris on the window sill that should have been removed. Thermostat was totally inoperative, as a result room was much to warm for comfortable sleeping. Tub would was impossible for my wife to utilize, old fashioned high sided, to high to step over. Hotel added a $50 charge to credit card bill in case of "damage". We are both in our late seventies, and couldn't have done much more damage than was already there. Wife was admitted to hospital and I had time to find another for my second night there.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ChehalisMasterChief

Hello again - We appreciate your comments and work hard to provide a comfortable setting for all guests. I'm sorry the room was too warm and the tub too high. . .these are both issues of a 1920's building. We haven't made any structural changes to the building and don't have plans to in the near future. It sounds like you found a better hotel more suited to your travel preferences. Best of luck in your future travels.