“Great value!”

Inn at Virginia Mason
Ranked #75 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
“Great value!”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

The hotel is adjacent to the Virginia Mason Hospital so if you are in town for medical reasons and are being treated at Virginia Mason, this is the perfect hotel for your trip. We were in town on vacation and chose The Inn due to its proximity to downtown, to the wharf, and its price. The hotel has a European feel to it. It is a converted apartment building (I think built in the 1920's) so the rooms are not huge but very adequate. They are all air conditioned (which isn't always the case in Seattle) which was very welcomed due to an August heat wave. They were very clean and well appointed. We were concerned about ambulance noise at night but that turned out not to be an issue at all. The hotel has a relationship with the hotel across the street where we could go for free morning coffee and on Wednesdays, free breakfast pastries. The restaurant near the lobby was being closed down as we were leaving so you may want to look into that if having a restaurant on-site is of importance to your selection process. The staff were very friendly and helpful. Taxis were made available in less than 10 minutes. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Carol G, General Manager at Inn at Virginia Mason, responded to this review, 3 September 2014
Hi Marc - Thank you for your comments. You described our property to a tee and it's nice to hear you enjoyed your stay. Please visit us again on your next trip to Seattle. Until then, safe travels!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We stayed here for one night with my sister and brother-in-law. It is conveniently situated for downtown. The decor is tired and could do with renovation but the rooms appeared largely clean. However when grabbing my towel I immediately noticed it had what I can only say was faeces smeared over it... Not a good start. I took it down to reception to complain and was met with a somewhat indifferent response with no apology. On returning from dinner we inquired as to whether the towels had been replaced and to our surprise the answer was no and we had to bring them up ourselves. On this occasion after my husband made a bit of a fuss of making sure the replacement towels were clean we were then offered a mumbled apology from the reception staff. There was never any sign of a manager and the reception is manned by what appear to be high school/college students who don't appear to prioritise good customer service. Disappointing.
Other tips -
The purple cafe was excellent for dinner
The hotel doesn't do breakfast so go to a lovely patisserie Belle Epicurean on 4th avenue! Breakfast sandwiches were to die for!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank catherine r
Hi Travelers, Thank you for your comments. I apologize we were not more proactive in addressing your housekeeping concerns. With regard to our college age front desk agents, we are proud to hire and promote young professionals as they begin their careers. We typically hear wonderful comments regarding our service. Good luck in your future travels.

Travellers are raving about these Seattle hotels

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is dated, but really quite quaint in its appointment. The room was clean and comfortable. The rooftop patio was a lovely feature. The location was perfect for accessing the great bars and restaurants in Capitol Hill, and for shopping downtown. I'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Good Morning Lena, Thank you for your comments and we are thrilled to hear that you would stay with us again! Until then, safe travels!
Munich, Bayern, Germany
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Within easy walking distance to several main attractions. We were 5 staying in a suite. Although the street-side room was a bit noisy in the mornings, it was quite spacious for 5 adults (my husband and I with our 3, very tall, teenaged sons). The beds were super comfy with 4 pillows on each. The roof-top terrace was also a treat with an excellent night-time view toward the Puget Sound. Although listed as a "breakfast included" hotel -- not true, so the refrigerator came in handy for milk, juice, yogurt, etc. Room service was excellent and very affordable (no tipping expected). One can also eat at the hospital cafeteria, just next door via an elevator ride. The hotel itself is attached to The Virginia Mason Medical Center. The only downside was parking. It's convenient enough (the hospital parking garage), but costs $20 per day. Staff were all very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing Spring Street.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DebbieCooperKozak
Hello Debbie - So glad to hear that your family enjoyed their stay with us! I'm not sure where we might be listed as a breakfast included site but we do offer "muffin madness" every Wednesday. When you are back in Seattle, please visit us again. . .it would be a pleasure to have you as our guests!
Pocatello, Idaho
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed at the Inn for our Anniversary. It was the price that got us interested, hoping that it wouldn't be terrible. The hospital isn't extremely far away from everything (if you don't mind walking), but it is an uphill climb for 8-10 blocks. Arriving at the hotel we were surprised to learn that it was connected to a hospital (so we weren't staying with the intent to see anyone at the hospital); however, once we walked into the hotel we were pleasantly surprised by the professional staff and nice rooms. Contrary to some comments, the place does not look like a hospital or assisted living center. The rooms were clean and nice, but they are old (it isn't the Hyatt, but it isn't a Motel 6). For the price, especially compared to the prices of all other hotels, we are pleasantly surprised by the rooms.
The hotel is very accommodating. They have a washing service if you need, blow dryers, and a nice terrace on the top of the building. They function a little like a hospital so you know that it is clean and quiet (except for the sirens when the ambulances leave and arrive, and just the normal buzz of a larger city). They are also understanding of changes that need to be made to your stay (if you need to leave early, or, in our situation, do a last minute, overnight trip to Victoria, Canada).
Lastly, we did experience a problem with our hotel. On our last night, water started dripping from the ceiling. The water got the bathroom floor and carpet wet. It also had a stale, watery odor. It was inconvenient, but they were very professional. They offered us an upgraded room and discounted our price for that night. I was very happy with their service.
Overall, I would definitely stay there again. What they lack in up-to-date rooms, they make up in professionalism and customer service. Every hotel will have its problems, but how they deal with those problems is what sets them apart. For us, this made all the difference. They made our stay in Seattle very memorable and enjoyable, and I am grateful for that.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank landtho2
Hi Travelers! Thank you for your nice review. We get very few special occasions and we are glad to here that you enjoyed your anniversary with us. Please come back and stay with us again when your travels bring you back to Seattle!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I stayed one night my last night in Seattle and was so glad I did. While I got a bit lost finding it, from the moment I walked in I was treated incredibly well. My room wasn't ready yet as I had arrived early, but they gladly stored by luggage until I came back later to check in. I had some sight seeing to do yet so this worked out great,

I the room was very nice and clean. t was actually bigger than I thought it would be. The bed was very comfortable, and you had multiple windows for air and sunlight. I didn't have to have the air on, the cross breeze was nice. Now it was a bit noisy, due in most part to some construction right next door. Otherwise with the windows closed it wasn't that bad.

The neighbor was full of tree lined streets and was close to Madison street and very close to Broadway Ave, and the Elliot Bay Book Company. Overall the are had some nice coffee and dining choices. I ate breakfast at the Corner Café and had a great happy hour at Vito's. They did have room service through the hospital they are attached to, but I didn't partake. The small in house café was closed to be reopened later under new management.

they do have free Wi-Fi, but it was sort of hit or miss on 5th floor. Works great in Lobby. They also have great little back courtyard area, with lots of plants and seating, it was a nice and cool inviting place to relax.

Overall I was very impressed with this hotel and the service I received. I checked out at 11:00 but didn't have to leave for the Train station until 12:30. They once again held my bags as I went out exploring once more and even called me a cab when it was time to leave.

If you are looking for a nice place to stay, I highly recommended this place. Its sister hotel, The Baroness, has a great Art Deco lobby and is worth checking out.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Hi Wisconsin! Thank you for your very kind review. It sounds like you enjoyed your stay and our neighborhood. Please consider us your home away from home on your next visit to Seattle. Safe travels!
California
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I'm no snob when it comes to hotels for my family. We're on a budget so I'm generally looking for clean, comfortable, and in a decent area. Words like "quaint" and "charming" and "delightful" on tripadvisor lured me to this hotel, but the Inn is purely an extension of the hospital. It reminded me of the Assisted Living apartments my grandma lived in before she passed, including nurses in the hallways.

The room was semi-clean, but it was an old building with rooms that had not been repainted or updated in many years. The bathroom was grungy with old dirty blinds and an old linoleum floor with yellow stains. The toilet and sink and bathtub were clean, however.

The Inn is sandwiched between wings of the Virginia Mason hospital, and is serviced by the hospital staff. The room service is from the hospital kitchen.

I won't be going back. Honestly it creeped me out. I'm sure I can find something else affordable and less grungy next time. I'm so glad we decided to stay with family for 2 nights and only stayed here one night. Three nights at this Inn would have left me feeling pretty depressed.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your comments. I'm glad you liked the price of our rooms and disappointed that your experience did not meet your standards. We are very proud to be a part of the Virginia Mason Medical Center campus and yes, the majority of our guests are patients or patients' families and friends. There are so many choices in Seattle, best of luck in your future travels.