“Just ok.”
Review of MarQueen Hotel

MarQueen Hotel
Ranked #54 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Described as a luxury hotel and spa I found this hotel just adequate and dated. Including the musty smell that never went away. The front desk people were friendly and helpful but I felt like I was staying in a cheap apartment ( complete with kitchen and sitting room) instead of a luxury hotel. There are better places for your money.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
dbcarman, Manager at MarQueen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

I'm sorry to hear that our property did not meet all of your expectations.

Thank you for your compliments to the staff - we strive for personalized individual service, and it sounds like we did meet your expectations in that department.

While our property does house a skin care clinic, a massage clinic, hair salon, and restaurant/lounge - it is important to note that we are located in a historic building built in 1918. We are constantly striving to maintain the historic integrity of the building and believe that it is part of our charm.

There are newer reviews for MarQueen Hotel

Reviewed 19 August 2012 via mobile

When we showed up, they didn't have a room for us. This was even when we pre-paid for everything. The front desk staff lied to us about an emergency when there was none. They moved us to there sister hotel (Queen Ann Inn) which is a dive compared to the MarQueen. Thanks for the nIce visit & for treating us like crap! I must note they refunded for one night and we had to fight for the second night.

Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank purplejwhayes
dbcarman, Manager at MarQueen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2012

My apologies for the difficulties that you encountered during your stay. Oversells do happen upon occasion. Our way of taking responsibility and apologizing is by offering a complimentary stay at another property. I'm so sorry that our sister property did not meet your expectations, and that you felt that a complimentary stay was an insufficient means of dealing with the unfortunate situation. Our policy is to refund any prepaid reservations immediately upon displacement of any guest, and it is my understanding that this was done in this case. I truly hope that you had an otherwise pleasant trip to Seattle.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

This is how the old elegant hotels use to be. Very nicely decorated makes you feel like its from the 1920s or 30s but you have all the amenities. Customer service was great, the staff was very helpful and smiled when greeting you or just passing in the hallways. Very good location not too far from anything.

Room Tip: No elevators so 1st floor is the best.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

I'm so glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay here at the MarQueen Hotel, and please accept my thanks for taking the time to complete a review. We appreciate your compliments to the staff, the service, and the historic charm of our property. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 August 2012

This is a lovely, old fashioned, quirky hotel with lovely, helpful staff. We loved the well equipped kitchenette, and the sense of history. We were surprised that when we asked the drivers at the airport to take us to the hotel they didn't seem to know where it was! When the guy dropped us off he said it was the first time he had been there. We decided it made the hotel even more desirable!
Thoroughly enjoyed our stay and Seattle itself, before heading off to Vancouver by train.

Room Tip: There are no lifts in this hotel - it didn't matter to us on floor two, but it might be troubles...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Thanks so much for your feedback and for taking the time to complete an online review. Thank you for your compliments to the staff - they are invaluable to the personalized service that we strive for at our property.

While we do not house an elevator, we do have 24 hour bell staff to assist with carrying luggage. We also always do our best to assign lower floor rooms upon request.

We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed 29 July 2012

If you're into sleek and modern -- that might not be the best place for you. If you can appreciate old world charm -- chances are you'll enjoy this hotel. Expect a full immersion into the beginning of the 20th century: quaint wooden furniture, floral wallpapers, big centerpiece staircase, and also an ancient-looking tv and lack of the elevator. My boyfriend and I enjoyed the big room we got (it comes with a kitchen that even has a dining table in it) but we found the breakfast to be mediocre at best-- bagels with cream cheese, poor selection of yogurts and apples are not exactly what we hoped for. It'd be nice if they had given real milk with the coffee. Otherwise, a very pleasant place!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anyaandl

I'm so glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay here at the MarQueen Hotel, and that you could appreciate the historic charm of our property.

It is true that we do not house an elevator, but we do have 24 hour bell staff on hand to help with luggage; we also do our best to accommodate lower floor requests for those with mobility issues.

Our continental breakfast has been discontinued, and we're pleased to announce the opening of our new restaurant/lounge the Tin Lizzie Lounge - where we now serve a breakfast menu. We hope that you'll come back and check it out!

Reviewed 28 July 2012

My husband arrived the day before me. He had driven 10 hours and was very tired when he checked in. He asked for the AARP rate and they would not give it to him because he didn't have his card with him. He was miffed, but tired and just wanted a room. The desk clerk was unfriendly, unsmiling, and short. My husband was given a room and I arrived the next day. When I walked into the room I was appalled. The Marqueen is an old building with lots of history. It is slowly being renovated. Unfortunately, we got one of the NOT renovated rooms. The floors were oak, and grimy, sticky smelly. Walking on them in bare feet is repulsive. The paint job was pitiful. The window had an old window air conditioner unit in it. There was no way we could shut out outside noise. The shower head piping was spraying everywhere where it connected to the tub spout. I was able to fix that. But, made me wonder is the housekeeper was cleaning the tub, why did they not report the issue? They would have gotten soaked if they had cleaned the tub! The beds were comfortable and the saving grace. The kitchenette was charming, but needed serious cleaning. Overall, the room smelled of that "old moldy/cigarette" smell. I purchased a room freshener to help with the odor. I did check out some other rooms while there and found the rooms that had been renovated were quite nice. The desk clerk improved with some friendly prodding. Could we have changed rooms! Do not know. By the time I arrived , the place was full. The location is excellent. Walking distance to the Seattle Center where you can take the monorail to downtown. There is a fantastic grocery store across the street with wonderful food to go. There are several nice restaurants close by. Would I stay there again? Yes, only if we got one of the renovated rooms. My biggest complaint, poor reception, not what we were told we would get in a room. Oh, and the internet service not consistent. And the breakfast was a joke. I guess the only reason we would stay there again is because of the location.

Room Tip: Be sure and ask for a room that has been renovated. Inside rooms are quieter and cooler.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank twende

Thank you for your feedback. I'm so sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations. There is no excuse for bad reception or service - we are in the hospitality industry and treating people warmly and hospitably should be second nature to us.

While our historic building does have some charming characteristics that one might not find in a newer, more modern property - it important to note that our housekeeping and engineering staff is incredibly vigilant and well trained. Our executive housekeeper inspects every room prior to it being checked into to verify that it is up to our high standards of cleanliness. We would have been happy to address any housekeeping or engineering issues with you immediately if we had been made aware of them during your stay.

Our continental breakfast has been discontinued, and we are proud to announce the recent opening of our new restaurant and lounge - The Tin Lizzie Lounge. It is open for breakfast, and has an excellent selection of prepared breakfast items.

We would love the opportunity to regain your patronage, and if you have any specific requests with regard to room type or location, please inform the desk agent at the time of reservation - we always do our best to accommodate these requests.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

Stayed at the marqueen last night - what a difference from the typical chains. My room was on the corner of the top floor - incredibly well furnished. Had a small kitchen! A living room and a bedroom. The staff was extremely friendly and fun to talk with. The bed was awesome - the best nights sleep I have had in a hotel for quite a long time.

The area is very cool (tons of restaurants) but away from my business needs.

Being on east coast time I got up early to go to the gym and was told they have a deal with the local 24 hour fitness which didn't open till 5am (?? Go figure). That was my biggest issue with the stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business

Thanks for taking the time to complete a review - guest feedback is invaluable to us!

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed the time that you spent with us. Thank you for your compliments to the staff - I'm glad to hear that they met your expectations. Our location is one of our greatest assets, and I'm happy that you were able to appreciate the neighborhood as much as we do!

While it is true that our neighborhood 24 hour fitness does have limited hours, there is a larger 24 hour fitness located a short walk away that is open 24 hours a day, as the name suggests! The passes that we have for sale are accepted at this 24 hour fitness as well.