“Best for the 20-something crowd”
Review of MarQueen Hotel

MarQueen Hotel
Ranked #54 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Want to know what it's like to live in Seattle when you've got your first job right out of school? Stay at the MarQueen. This hotel is basically an old 1920s-era apartment building where the apartments became hotel rooms. They've swapped out some of the fixtures for nicer ones (basically the light fixtures and bathroom tile), but otherwise our "junior suite" looked just like the studio apartments in older buildings I looked at when I was just out of school and moving to Seattle. It had all the weird touches that those apartments did -- a "closet" that's a water heater room with a bar added in front of the water heater, outlets that actually weren't in the wall but were strung down from the light fixtures, a strange layout, etc. The only real difference was that it's a furnished apartment, outfitted with some fairly cheap contemporary furniture. Don't expect luxury (which you might for the price). What you do get is a basic apartment with a full kitchen in a very good location if you want to go bar-hopping (hence the price).

It didn't work well for us -- we were looking for a suite with a door between the living room and the bedroom, so our child could sleep on the sofa bed while we stayed up longer in the bedroom. The room description online said there was a door to the bedroom, and it wasn't incorrect, just misleading: There is a door between the bedroom and the entry hallway. But the bedroom is open to the living area and the rest of the apartment. We also wanted to go to sleep around 11, which didn't work well since there's a bar downstairs that plays loud music much of the night.

If you're looking for a nice-looking lobby, a full kitchen in your room, and nightlife, this is your hotel. If not, your money is probably better spent elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank OffTheBeatenPath
Brad C, General Manager at MarQueen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Thanks so much for taking the time to complete a review. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our location, but I'm so sorry to hear that we didn't live up to your expectations. While most guests enjoy the quirky, historic nature of our building, I do understand that it is not for everyone. I would encourage you, however, if you return, to request a Queen Anne Suite, or a Grand Suite - both of these room types do in fact have closing doors separating the living area from the bedroom; they're great for families. We would definitely love the chance to regain your patronage.

There are newer reviews for MarQueen Hotel

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We booked into the Marqueen with a family of 5, and despite reserving a double queen and emailing that we were a party of 5, the desk clerk initially put us in a smaller room. When I went back to ask for a cot for our youngest, they moved us to a larger room with a twin pull out. We did have to call back later for bedding for the pull out.

Despite this, we were very happy with the Marqueen. Yes, it's old, yes, the floors creak, but I'd rather stay somewhere interesting than a boring, modern hotel. I loved the beautiful high ceilings.

The kitchen with breakfast nook was lovely, and we were able to save a little money by eating in. There were only dishes for 4, however. The hotel was clean, the beds were comfortable. My only complaint is the decor was pretty vile. I don't agree with the reviewer that said the decor reflected the era. It was mostly half baked "luxury" stuff, like gold taps in the bathroom, gold framed mirrors and a faux edwardian tv cabinet. Even so, I would definitly stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank thermoset
Reviewed 7 August 2013

My son spotted a Cockroach crawling on the bed, had to catch it with a cup and saucer "they returned the cup and saucer after i gave it to the front desk "wonder if they washed it?", old ham left in the fridge with a best before date of Sept on it "we stayed in August" the building had at least 20 coats of paint on the inside, windows and some hinges were painted shut, cars are parked 1.5 blocks away in an underground grocery store parking lot and you still pay an extra $30 for parking not too convienient if you want to grab your car or get something out of it! Neighborhood seemed sketchy! Didnt expect a top of the line hotel it is 100 years old! I did like the hardwood floors, although they would seem to be a cleaner option my bags seemed to stick to the floor!

We were compensated for the cockroach by crediting us back our rediculous parking fee!

The staff was awesome, loved the "dark haired" doorman he works very hard and was very genuine! HE'S AWESOME!

Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Jen K

Thanks so much for taking the time to complete a review. I'm happy to hear that you had a pleasant experience with our staff, and we were able to provide you with an excellent level of customer service. I'm so sorry, however, to hear of the problems encountered during your stay. Our property is clearly marketed as a historic property, and we take tremendous pride in that history. Our housekeeping staff is meticulous and thorough, and while our property is quirky and historical, it is undoubtedly clean. Rest assured that our property is inspected and treated (as a precautionary measure) for all kind of potential infestations, and our housekeeping staff is fully versed and trained on such things. To date, we've never had a confirmed roach sighting at either of our properties. Thank you again for your feedback, and I hope the rest of your time in Seattle was enjoyable.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

If you like history, this early 20th century hotel is quite a jewel and has a great history of its own. We stayed two nights and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. It has a quiet elegance to it and the rooms are well appointed reflecting its era and history. If you like transit, it is easy to get down-town to all the main city sites for $2.50 per person. There are a lot of different types of restaurants to choose within a very short walking distance. We really enjoyed the "Toulouse Petit Kitchen & Lounge" located right across the street. The hotel also has its own restaurant and lounge, and by showing your key card you will get a 15% discount.

Room Tip: The rooms on the top floor are quieter. But if you have any accessibility issues, I recommend the m...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank LCplus
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Stayed a few nights at the hotel and really enjoyed our stay. It is located in the lower Queen Anne area of Seattle. Not too far from the space needle, perhaps a 15 minute walk. Lots of great restaurants nearby, easy to navigate the neighborhood, and the staff were all exceptionally nice. The room we were in had a small kitchen with plates, utensils, etc... As well as a fridge, range, and microwave. The building is old but the rooms are spacious and clean.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Derek C
Reviewed 27 July 2013

We booked two rooms, for three nights, one for my elderly mom and me, and one for my adult sons, to attend my son's college graduation. When making the reservation, I had specifically mentioned my mom's physical limitations so we were pleased to get rooms on the first floor as my mom would not have been able to go up the stairs. The rooms were lovely except that in our room, my mom had great difficulty taking a shower each day as there was no shower chair. We eyed the wooden chairs in our room but didn't want to wreck one so we did not use it. Upon checking out, I mentioned that perhaps the hotel could purchase some inexpensive plastic lawn chairs so that a person in a handicap room could use it in the shower. I was stunned to hear the clerk behind the counter say. "Oh, we have shower chairs!" REALLY? They didn't think to put one automatically in the handicap room after I called and explained my mom's needs? They didn't offer one when we checked in and they met my mom? A shower chair is not something you ask for. It is either in the handicap room or not. Also, we could not check into our rooms until after 5:00 PM because of some housekeeping scheduling problem so that was exhausting after traveling all day. And on the first morning when we left early for the graduation ceremony and didn't return to the rooms until later in the afternoon, our rooms had still not been made up. I actually offered to clean the rooms myself if they would tell me where the fresh towels and other supplies are. There was another big discussion with the housekeeping staff and then a woman came to clean the rooms, while we waited in the lobby. So much as I liked the location and the rooms themselves, there are some things that need to be addressed in order to have satisfied guests. However, the rooms were amazingly spacious, the beds were comfortable, and my sons' room even had a separate kitchen with a full-size refrigerator. I would recommend this hotel for families, and I would try this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you cannot walk up stairs, ask for a first floor room. There is no elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank IrisMinneapolis

Thanks so much for your review. I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and that you would visit us again! My apologies for the late check-in time and the shower chair situation - we do have several shower chairs available upon request. Given that our handicapped rooms are not always occupied by handicapped guests, we try to keep those available at all times in the event that they are needed for any our first floor guest rooms. We are happy to place your room prior to arrival - please just include that request at the time of reservation. Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 25 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night after returning from a cruise. As we arrived early in the morning, they were happy to hold our luggage until check in. The front desk staff and bellmen were all very friendly and helpful. Built originally as an engineering school, the conversion to a hotel contains some "interesting architctural elements". Our room on the first floor had a door to a closet that was only about a foot deep. Our "closet" also contained what appeared to be a ventilation unit and some sort of pump that ran occasionally. The room was large, and contained the bed, two end tables, an armchair and the TV cabinet (which was stuck in an alcove). We found it a bit inconvenient that there was no dresser or table in the bedroom. The place was clean, but worn in places. There was a sizable kitchen with a table and two chairs, a full-size refrigerator, microwave, coffeemaker, and full-size sink. There was a nice selection of glasses, plates and cutlery, but no cookware. Also, there was no soap or sponge with which to wash dishes, so we just had to trust the cleanliness of eveything (it looked clean) and left what we used in the sink. I was glad to see a sign asking us to leave recyclables out on the counter for the cleaning staff to handle. Even though our room was right at street level, the windows were quite soundproof and the room was quiet. The bed was comfortable, and we got a good night's sleep. The bathroom contained a free-standing sink with a small shelf above it, so there was no room for laying out toiletries. We ordered a couple of drinks from the bar, but did not have anything from the restaurant. Around the corner is a fantastic "Metropolitan Market" grocery store, that sells beer, wine, and has a great selection of take-out food. We had a big lunch, so for dinner we just grabbed some ready-made food to heat in the microwave back at the room. It is only a 10 - 15 minute walk to the Seattle Center (Space Needle, EMP Museum, Chihuly Garden and Glass, etc.), so this is a perfect location for visiting that part of town. Hints: the Toulouse Petit restaurant across the street is fantastic, and the Mecca Cafe a block south is a great breakfast spot.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple