“Looking for Character? This is it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of MarQueen Hotel

MarQueen Hotel
Ranked #52 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
South Carolina
“Looking for Character? This is it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2007

I just returned from a fabulous, albeit whirlwind trip to Seattle. I stayed at the Marqueen in Room 202. It is a beautiful, historic, "Boutique" hotel that I found quite charming. As mentioned before, the building used to be apartments, therefore the rooms are HUGE! Ours had a nice bathroom, sitting room, bedroom, and kitchen...and as far as I know it wasn't a suite. Ours was at the front of the hotel, overlooking the street. As mentioned previously, there is a lounge-type restuarant across the way that apparently gets loud on the weekends. We stayed on a Monday and Tuesday night, and there was no noise besides reagular city noise (i.e. bus passes until around midnight). I think on Tuesday I heard some people talking loudly on the street, but it was not enough to wake me out of full slumber. The room itself was immaculate...they must employ an excellent cleaning staff! I have two complaints of a sort... One, like a pp mentioned, the reservations staff are not willing to guarantee you a room in the back. I called and asked that a note would be put on my account about this preference, but I was told when I checked in (early) that I had been assigned a front room, and that the back rooms were filled. She mentioned that it was the only room clean for the moment. So I took it, and it worked out okay. I think they give priority to those who book through the hotel, and not through a travel site. Which is too bad, considering we all pay money for the room. The other thing is that the plumbing in this place is old. Expect the water pressure to a bit off, and there to be a lot of noise when the water comes on. We did receive a letter upon checking in stating that the plumbing was being worked on, so perhaps they are looking to remedy this problem. Also, there is not a great deal of counter space in the bathroom, so you can't really spread out. I think they went for ambience when they chose the pedestal sink over a counter top one. But that's not a huge deal in the long run...

Other tips/advice: This hotel is in a great neighborhood as far as dining options go. We ate at Ten Mercer one night, and it was good, not great. The portions were huge though. The hotel is within walking distance to the Monorail at Seattle Center, which will take you straight downtown. Unless you have money to burn, take this option. It doesn't open until 11am though, which was difficult for me since I was attending a conference at started at 9am each morning. Taxis in town are expensive! I paid close to $8 with tip for a two mile ride! Bring your walking shoes! Otherwise, this is a great city. I don't think I have ever been somewhere so friendly, and I'm from the South! All clerks have a smile for you, and friendly greeting. Even the panhandlers are polite! I guess it comes from living somewhere so beautiful....!

• Liked — Size of the Room
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
5 Thank oldhousejunkie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Hebrew first
Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2007

I stayed at the MarQueen for business the week of March 19th.

Positives: As noted by other reviewers, the room was large, including a kitchenette, large sleeping area, walk-in closet and average sized bathroom. The service was excellent: attentive and efficient. And, the hotel itself is in a good location, with lots of restaurants nearby, and it is just a couple of blocks to attractions like the Space Needle, Key Arena, and others.

Negatives: Again as noted by other reviewers, the place smells. A musty, stale, smell hangs over the lobby, and exists throughout the hotel. The lobby itself has a run-down look, as did my room. Threadbare rugs on floors, worn hardwood, all the polish off the bathtub, bathroom floor tile in desperate need of re-grouting, worn doorhandles, creaky floors....the list goes on. I get that the motif is going for a jazz age atmosphere, but I've been in hotels that manage character without looking, feeling, and smelling worn.

Warnings: A couple of things didn't bother me, but might put off other travellers. First, there's no elevator (the hotel has only 3 floors). Second, my room at the front of the hotel was subject to a good deal of street noise: the street outside seems a busy thoroughfare for cars, and the restaurants/night spots seemed to spit out handfuls of loud (but not rowdy) crowds each night. Not overbearing noise, but noticeable.

Booking through Expedia cost me about $160/night. Not expensive for the location, but given that there were other hotels nearby also in that price range, I have a feeling there's a better option in the neighbourhood than the MarQueen.

• Liked — Service
  • Disliked — Run-down and musty.
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank Derekmm2002
Moses Lake, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2007

My husband, teenage son and I stayed here over the weekend as the boys were going to a Sonics game. They were able to walk a few blocks to the Key Arena.

The valets were excellent! Best service we have ever seen. They opened doors, carried baggage, parked our car, and generally hopped to our every need. Parking is $18 per night, but that is reasonable for a Seattle city hotel.

Once you step into the lobby of the MarQueen, you know it's old. It's got beautiful wood floors, large chandeliers, velvet drapes and antique furniture. Our room was much of the same... polished, creaky wooden floors; a long kitchen with a booth to eat breakfast and a full refrigerator/microwave; a small living room with a loveseat and recliner; and comfy beds. There was also loads of Seattle Magazines on the coffee table. We found great places to see and eat at in those magazines.

I used the monorail to get to the downtown shopping area. You can also ride the bus or take a taxi. Parking is terrible downtown. The hotel has a car that will take you places as well. (they don't promise they can pick you up however).

Cafe Ladro (next door) has the Best soy latte I have ever had. They also have pies, quiche, muffins and soup.

If you like brand new hotels ...then this one won't be for you. If you are like me and appreciate the character and history of these older hotels, then try the MarQueen. We'll be going back!

Stayed March 2007
3 Thank AWaysToGo
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2007

I have stayed in different hotels (ranging from the great to terrible) in Seattle over the last 25 years. This one is memorable for the following reasons:

-TAKES YOU BACK IN TIME: It was built in the early 20th century (1917?) and retains some of the charm from those early days. Photos of early Seattle and its leaders line the hallways. Some of the floors are creaky, but to me that just adds to the ambiance of an old hotel. The room we stayed in had a small kitchen and living room area, and could have been someone's apartment in years past.

-LOCATION PART 1: You are within walking distance to Key Arena. You don't have to fight traffic going home from a Sonics game or a concert. You can go to the Space Needle and eat at some pretty decent restaurants in the area.

-LOCATION PART 2: Kerry Park. This is close to the hotel, and the best site in town for photographing the Emerald City. When you see the postcards of Seattle, this is where many of those shots are taken. It's on the south slope of Queen Anne Hill, located at the corner of 2nd Avenue W. and W. Highland Drive.

-PRICE: For Seattle, the price is a bargain.

The only negative thing that stands out is the parking. You can drive around the block again and again and possibly find a space, but I suspect it may be easier to take advantage of the valet.

Stayed October 2005
5 Thank pdxjeff1959
Victoria BC Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2006

We stayed at the Marqueen and just loved it. The room was spacious and elegant, (although we moved some of the furniture to make it work for us). The service was excellent, over and above what is necessary. A courtesy car to wherever we wanted, courteous people at the front desk, who were knowledgable and friendly, and wonderful restaurants all around us.
We will certainly be returning.
Judy Treloar

Stayed November 2006
2 Thank Judy T
Vancouver, British Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2006

We stayed at the Marqueen Hotel this past long weekend, Nov 10th - 13th. We were specifically looking for a hotel with a kitchenette. The property is an old heritage apartment building which used to house GM employees.

We checked in late Friday night and the staff was friendly and helpful. The bellman/valet (same guy) helped us carry our bags to our room. We booked into a junior suite and having read the reviews on here, made sure we asked for the quietest room available on the third floor. Our suite was large and spacious with a lot of character to it. Nice wooden floors, HUGE closet space, clean with high ceilings and the kitchenette even has enough room for a small eating area! The room had a really nice vibe. The only downside was the decor, it really could use some updating (ie. the drapery, bedding and couch).

The bath was decent. Shower pressure was so-so...soaps and shampoos were provided. The kitchen was adequate, wished they had more usable pots and pans as what we had was quite old. We tried making eggs but the "non-stick" pan basically ate up half of the eggs. The cleaning staff cleaned up all the dirty dishs and pots as they do not provide dish detergent. Conveniently connected to the lobby is the Cafe Ladro which is a fantastic coffee shop. It's a small chain (not affiliated with the hotel) and the coffees are the best I've had in Seattle. Similar to Cafe Artigiano quality if you're from Vancouver.

As for the noise that a lot of people have complained about, it was definitely there but that's just staying downtown and recommend using earplugs if you're a light sleeper. The suite is not super quiet! I found the bed and pillows to be a bit hard for my tastes but that's personal preference.

We also used the valet parking service which worked great although it was an additional $18 bucks a day.

So some pros and cons, the place isn't for everyone but if you like staying at places with some character and not the usual hotel chain we would really recommend this place. All in all we definitely liked the place and would stay there again.

• Liked — The character
  • Disliked — The decor
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TravelMore33
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2006

Very unique hotel. Great deal, great location, excellent atmosphere. Upgrading to their corner suites was well worth the money. Many restaurants within walking distance, taxi cabs are also well worth it (parking in downtown Seattle is horrid).

Overall a great hotel, and a great change from the ordinary.

• Liked — Great Views
  • Disliked — No Elevator (we were on the third floor)
  • Tips/Secrets — Take a taxi if you head to the water front