“good base for Seattle & beyond”

Mayflower Park Hotel
Ranked #16 of 105 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 25 July 2014

This hotel is well-situated for exploring Seattle and is a short distance from I-5. It is located downtown which is central to Pike's Market, Seattle Center, Belltown, the Bainbridge Island ferry and other cool neighborhoods such as Ballard and Fremont. Downtown infrastructure is certainly not seedy at all (hotels, office & high end shopping) but it is home to a sizable homeless population. But I hasten to say they were totally peaceable during my visit and, anyway, they seem to stay mostly below 3rd Ave down to the bay. The hotel is historic; room was small but nicely appointed and clean; staff is very polite and friendly; there is a good hotel bar; and the hotel is readily accessible to monorail, light rail, and Avis. The concierge staff is great, with a special mention to Jane Marshall. She gave us absolutely perfect insights into dining options and the most worthwhile sights, and is so warm and down to earth. I think she's the best concierge in the world ;-)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank togo2013
Write a ReviewReviews (2,356)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Let me start by saying we are a family of four and have stayed in many places and are not very fussy or hard to please. There are some things though that are essential for at least a decent stay. The horrendous problem was a broken air conditioner that blew warm air into the room leading to poor sleep and miserable us. We checked out the next am for our cruise but would have switched hotels if we had to stay another night. When we got off the elevator to the lobby we were met with cool crisp air that just worsened the comparison of what we had to go through the night prior. When the topic was addressed to the front desk we were told there was no issue?!. That sealed my disgust.
Other less relevant issues that i would like to mention. For those of you with families traveling to Seattle, you should be aware that the Mayflower Park is located in the downtown area. It shuts down early so if you are looking for food close by its not so simple. Yes several blocks away was a diner or McDonalds but hello every block had a homeless person who was aggressively panhandling. We are from the NY area and are used to homeless but what was surprisingly different for us is the begging was very direct "in your face" here. At one point, two blocks away we entered a 7 11 on a Monday am about 9 am and we were immediately surrounded by begging people asking for handouts freaking my kids out. The mall that is attached to the hotel opens at 10am and closes by 6 so it is impossible not to have to walk amongst those less fortunate beggars for food and the Subway in the mall is open only on mall hours.Forget the hours on the weekend it shuts so early that its a dead zone.
The other negative our room was not ready until 3:55pm which maybe they couldn't fix but would have been better earlier so we could have grabbed an earlier jet lag nap.
On the positives, the concierge was very helpful and the doormen were delightful fun and very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank happymomdad
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I know this place has gotten great reviews but we were not impressed. I get that it's a historical hotel but the elevator could have used an upgrade. The person we spoke to for check in was incredibly snobby and unfriendly. It seemed the valet guys were friendly only because of the tips. Parking was really expensive as well. The room we got was basic but it was incredibly squishy. The bathroom was nice and the decor was really classical, early century style, as is the lobby. The one thing I liked was the location. It's right around the corner from shopping and Westlake Center and Pike's Market. I was uninterested in walking around at night because it was a little sketchy so didn't get to see that much. We only stayed one night so didn't check out the amenities.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed four nights at the Mayflower last week, and couldn't have been more pleased. To start with, a mistake I had made in reserving was quickly cleared up by Mr. Mendelssohn at the check-in, and we were reminded of front-desk attention at some European hotels we've stayed at. We had their Summer special, which included Valet parking and full Breakfast. As others have said, the rooms are small compared to other high end hotels, and the bathrooms cozy, to put it mildly. But everything was clean, the housekeeping prompt and complete. Our room on the 12th floor looked out over the central plaza where there was always lots going on. A two-block walk to Pikes Market. No hesitation in recommending this hotel for central Seattle activities. (And the complimentary WiFi came in fine.)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Well, shoot.

I have stayed at the Mayflower Park a minimum of 6 times over the last 10 years, and this recent visit will be my last. I am a person that will put up with a lot, but I was pushed over the edge this trip.

First- Air-conditioning was inoperable. It blew warm air into the room in a very weak stream and the room temp 85F for 3 out of 4 nights stay. Unbearable to sleep in the tiny tiny room with the small, hard, possibly double bed (Was called a Queen on bill. Ha!! Maybe a Queen bed for a dwarf.)

When I asked the room service maid about getting it fixed, she said she would call her supervisor. Poor woman was sweating profusely because the halls were just as hot, maybe a little more so. A fan had magically appeared before I returned, presumably to move the hot room air in circles, which it did. Cool, it did not. Totally unacceptable for over $200 / night. Seriously.

Second- Room was hilariously small, I mean bump into furniture just trying to walk the crowded 4 feet to the TV or back to the bathroom. The small double bed took up most of this room that really did appear to be a regular room cut in half. This was evidenced by the crappy molding job done on the wall seam at the ceiling. To call the bed a Queen- come on, Mayflower, who do you think you are fooling? Yourselves I guess.

Third- One should not necessarily judge a hotel by their cable service- but, wow!! What a huge let down when I just want to watch some basic shows or God Forbid a 'premium' channel like HBO. I saw a homeless guy outside with a better cable package.

The 22 inch monitor they called a TV had very poor resolution, and looked like something Good Will might decline in a donation. I like to stay 'in' some nights, and therefore ended up having to watch older movies on my laptop (better sound and resolution, anyway)

This again is pathetic for over $200 a night. I have read they have Apple TV in some rooms, but there was none in my little hovel of a room. I guess I should've been happy I had e-lec-tricity.

Fourth- Don't say you offer free WiFi when you have spotty, slow, weak one bar service at best. And to put it behind a login page? Am I in the 21st century? I think I am, right? Yep, I thought I was, so hmm. Welcome back to Dial-Up!!

The service was so bad, I ended up using the personal Wifi hotspot through my cell phone so I could get pages to load in under 4 minutes. I was very glad I had that capability, otherwise conducting any business that requires the internet would have been impossible. Forget watching a movie on the 'Free' WiFi, of course.

Either drop this feature or seriously upgrade. It does not cost that much - everyone knows this. No, shut up, it doesn't cost much, really. The proof was very obvious to me that this service sucked- tons of personal Wifi networks in my network finder.

Fifth- I think I am going to forgo the numbering- getting too high, and is now annoying.

The Facilities / furnishings.- The bathroom, while pretty clean, was falling apart and shabby. From the random silicone used to patch tile(s) to the weak/strong shower with needle jets.

The shower faucet actually had a limiting hex bolt that prevented the shower getting warmer than antelope spit by virtue of blocking further rotation to the warm water side.. I had to lean on the lever and hope it would not break to get hot water.

By the way, it wasn't mis-bolted this way, this is sadly a common way for (cheap, crappy) hotels to save money. How about you get rid of the worthless bathrobes and with the cleaning cost savings you buy a $12 wifi tower and shove it behind the TV set in each room. Who needs a bathrobe to walk the 3 feet from the bathroom to the main room anyway? Right, nobody does. Just a little tip. Plus actual hot water would be nice.

Ok, onward, -This may be a liability thing, but please please please can we have rooms set aside somewhere in this country for Adults that allow the hotel window to open more than 6 inches? I'll sign a waiver, whatever it takes to have an 'Adult Style' room. With the 85F heat inside and the cooler air outside, that little gap did me no good. Sigh.

Another thing - more than half a roll of TP is expected for over $200 a night. Maybe or maybe not housekeeping's fault. Plus a shower curtain that fits the length of the shower; a bathroom with some sort of venting system; and an ice bucket larger than a coffee cup would all be nice. Bring a bag and a fan to this place if you are still gonna go there.

I think lastly, Room Service. - I get we're in a big city, I get there is no where else convenient to go, so you are a bit trapped, but do you really have to offer total crap for food? What am I going to send it back and wait another 45 minutes?

Honestly, really, in all honesty, McDonald's has this place beat for breakfast. I am not joking. I was amazed at how I was not going to finish even half of the lousy $43 plus service charge and tip breakfast. Very sad.

Examples: Burnt thin slab of dry 'Ham' served with super cheap barely normal sized eggs and an odd potato concoction that they tried to pass off as breakfast food. Protip: When one is eating a Chef prepared meal- one usually expects that the food is not randomly sweet, sour or salty all between or during bites. It was like a tongue nightmare, or a tongue bad dream at least.

I cook better than this, and that is really unfortunate for the chef. English muffin was a crushed bread puck slathered with a random oil or yellow fluid.

And the dinner was incredibly overpriced for the few drops of food you received. (By the way, I am not a big person, or a glutton). Dinner / lunch meals were average to good in quality, but not really worth your time and $ which was very disappointing. Sorry Andaluca, you may be overrated. Sorry.

Who doesn't like good cooked food *delivered* to them? If you say you don't, you're lying. So having shoe leather and crappy vegetables dropped off for $85 is unacceptable. Plus 18% mandatory room 'service' charge, THEN the gratuity. Save your money and go elsewhere. Elliot's is still good -I hope.

I actually could go on- believe it or not- but I suspect you might get the message. I used to live in Seattle, I know the area well and I felt I knew this hotel well after half a dozen visits. But they have fallen on hard times or just don't care anymore. The investors or executives appear to be bleeding and sucking this place dry, which is too bad. 'Reinvest' must not be in the higher up's vocabulary. Sigh again. Almost forgot: could hear the guy above me sneeze, and he wasn't sneezing that loud. This place is noisy.

TL:DR - Used to be a good place, now fallen down the toilet. Food, facilities are now not worth the fees. Paying more than $200 for ANY room in this place is not advised, and you can find much better for that amount. Don't go- seriously- don't.

-A saddened patron.

P.S.- if the managers or whoever would like to offer any enticement to come back, a comped suite is what you need to give up for at least a weekend. I lost four days of my life that are worth more than that, but it might repair my soul a tiny bit. First World Problems, I guess.

Room Tip: Check for a room at another hotel, that is your best bet at the Mayflower. Local neighborhood is get...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank Brett T
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed here for free using credit card points. The room was nice, clean, but the bathroom was a little worn. Was in a corner room which was nice since there are two windows, but they had a view of offices and a roof. The door the to stairs is loud. Great location right by the monorail, one block from the light rail, and 2-3 blocks from the market. It's downtown Seattle so there are homeless around, but since you don't have far to go for anything it is not too overwhelming like other portions of downtown.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had work in downtown Seattle last week. My reservations were actually made for me by the company that I was visiting. I was a little hesitant at first because of the location (on Olive between 4th and 5th) literally right in the middle of down town. I had to drive there as I usually do, and I drive a large Avalanche with a Thule box ontop. Not generally fun for downtown. So first, the service. Seriously great service. They have valet parking that only cost me $15 "for guests" per day. The valet took my truck with no worries, said the size was no problem. They took my bags, checked me in, and had me in my room with zero effort on my part and it took like 10 minutes. The room was on the 9th floor with a nice view of the city. I guess the room was a standard suite, not exactly sure since I didn't make the reservations, but it had a couch, and a chair in one room, with a sliding door to the bed room that separated it if you wanted.

The room was decorated with almost an "antique" feel to it, kinda like Victorian or something, it felt quaint and comfortable. It's not all that big, but it's very functional. Internet was easy, had good signal, and pretty fast. No issues. Two large flat screens, one in front of the couch and little coffee table, one in front of the bed. They had a cool, "new style" Starbucks single cup coffee maker with really easy Starbucks inserts, just slide the tray in.. add water... nice. Bathroom was roomy, shower itself could have been a bit wider, but they used the round shower curtain rod which helps. Like i said I was there on Thus and Friday nights so I was expecting the sounds of the city to be rough. I couldn't hear a thing. The room was super quiet, and had SERIOUSLY heavy drapes, no light gets through those things... period. Nice! I almost overslept on a Saturday morning, didn't want to get up.

I ordered room service the first night, the "Oscar Burger"... really good! Prompt courteous service. In fact, every time I interacted with anyone on the staff, it was great service. They called me a cab when I asked, and it was there when I got downstairs, they even fetched me something I left in my truck and brought it to me in like 5 minutes! Even the little things like, in an almost full elevator, a staff member got out and took the stairs to make room for guests. This place truly understands good service.

I will for sure stay there again, I know that it's not exactly cheap, I think it's in the $200 per night range, but unlike some other hotels in the area, it's worth it, you get your money's worth here. It is pretty nice to be able to walk or take a cheap cab to pretty much anywhere in downtown Seattle as well.

Room Tip: The rooms on higher floors are super quiet, the only downside is that the elevators are older, and k...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business