“O.K. Place For The Price Paid”

Mayflower Park Hotel
Ranked #17 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 27 July 2014

First off, the air conditioning did not work for the first 2 nights of our 3 nights stay. It was warmer than usual in Seattle during our stay, otherwise the lack of air wouldn't have bothered us, but the room was hot and we were tired and worn out from a long day of flying. Upon check-in, the person at the desk failed to tell us about the broken air conditioner and we were only informed about it when my husband called to tell them our air wasn't working properly. That was when we were told it was broken. My husband later called and requested a fan, which they said would be brought up 'immediately' - which meant another phone call before it was actually delivered. They did give us a coupon for drinks (in their bar) valued up to $30 total; I thought they could have at least comped us for one night's stay, but...they didn't. Oh well.

Apart from the air not working - which is understandable (just the way they went about informing or not informing us about it was kind of annoying), the room we had could have been a little more updated but for the price we paid, I can't complain. My husband thought the room was small (we were in a standard Queen Room, with one queen bed) but I thought the size was o.k. for a short visit). The room and the small bathroom were clean (which is my main requirement when staying in hotels) and the bed comfortable. The shower head in the tub was way too low – never seen one THAT low; it was halfway up the tiled wall; my husband had to lean over to wash his hair. Water pressure/temperature was fine. We never used the WiFi so can't comment on that. There were only 2 elevators in the hotel and they were slow. The cleaning staff were very friendly.

The hotel is located right in the center of town, and very walkable to all the shops, stores, and restaurants, the Space Needle and Pike Place Market (great place). We had a few drinks in Oliver's - their bar inside the hotel - and it was a very nice place to relax and people watch.

Downtown Seattle is a shopper's paradise and good food, esp. the restaurants/bars at Pike Place Market. Unfortunately, downtown Seattle has a HUGE beggar/pan-handling/mentally ill/homeless population, in addition to TONS of grungy young people who have nothing better to do but hang out, skate board and smoke cigarettes (and other things??). Most of them were late teens/early to mid twenties...don't know if they were locals or not, but they were definitely of working age (why weren't they working, they were there all day and most the night and this was during the week?). They completely took over the cute little park/rest area at Westlake Center - which was a shame; we had to view it from across the street.

I know Seattle is a very liberal city but isn't there something they can do about all the hanging around and loitering? Sometimes the sidewalks would be congested because of groups of young grungy people would be congregated. We have young adult 'kids' in our family and our kids nor any of their friends dress the way these young people do. Another thing, the sidewalks and streets of downtown are littered with trash, papers, empty Styrofoam food containers, cigarette butts, etc. We've been to New York City twice (and plan on going back a third time this fall) and NEVER saw the 'weirdo' types that Seattle has, nor the dirtiness. The officials in Seattle should be ASHAMED or FIRED to allow such goings on in such an otherwise beautiful and interesting city to visit. BTW, this is our second visit in 3 years (the first time was during the 'Occupy' Seattle protests) and the bums, homeless, mentally ill and the wayward, grungy tattooed, pierced, young people have increased dramatically since then. Police sirens were going off daily; we saw about 8 cop cars stopped and chasing someone/something in Westlake Center park one evening.

We won't be going back to Seattle again. Still, if you've never been and with all of Seattle's problems of homelessness or just plain 'bums' and (truly) mentally ill people, it's an interesting place to visit; maybe stay in another area (we stayed in Belltown last time and didn't encounter all the weirdos, only when we went to the main area of downtown). Sorry for the long rant and this has nothing to do with the hotel, but we're just amazed that a city as big as Seattle with all the many things to do, that they would allow the city to be so dirty and have so many delinquents hanging around. NYC's former mayor - Rudy Giuliani – cleaned up NYC and Time Square; maybe Seattle should 'borrow' Giuliani ;)

In conclusion, the Mayflower Park hotel is a decent place to stay especially if you get a good rate (and if you don't mind all the pan-handling and grunge, etc. - the hotel can't control that) and centrally located within walking distance to all the attractions. It's probably the least expensive hotel that is right in the middle of things. I'm sure this hotel has larger and more updated rooms, you'll just have to pay more for them, but for us and the price we paid, it was o.k. - this was just a stopover on our way to an Alaska cruise.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Indybindy
David B, Front Office Manager at Mayflower Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Indybindy,

You are correct; unfortunately the hotel did have an unexpected and unusual maintenance issue with our A/C system, I apologize that you were adversely affected. Please contact me directly at David@Mayflowerpark.com so that I may review your account and assist further.

Our General Manager is active in our community and communicates regularly with local elected officials; we will pass along your comments regarding your experience here in Seattle.

I Hope to hear from you.

David B.

There are newer reviews for Mayflower Park Hotel

Reviewed 25 July 2014

This hotel is well-situated for exploring Seattle and is a short distance from I-5. It is located downtown which is central to Pike's Market, Seattle Center, Belltown, the Bainbridge Island ferry and other cool neighborhoods such as Ballard and Fremont. Downtown infrastructure is certainly not seedy at all (hotels, office & high end shopping) but it is home to a sizable homeless population. But I hasten to say they were totally peaceable during my visit and, anyway, they seem to stay mostly below 3rd Ave down to the bay. The hotel is historic; room was small but nicely appointed and clean; staff is very polite and friendly; there is a good hotel bar; and the hotel is readily accessible to monorail, light rail, and Avis. The concierge staff is great, with a special mention to Jane Marshall. She gave us absolutely perfect insights into dining options and the most worthwhile sights, and is so warm and down to earth. I think she's the best concierge in the world ;-)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank togo2013
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Let me start by saying we are a family of four and have stayed in many places and are not very fussy or hard to please. There are some things though that are essential for at least a decent stay. The horrendous problem was a broken air conditioner that blew warm air into the room leading to poor sleep and miserable us. We checked out the next am for our cruise but would have switched hotels if we had to stay another night. When we got off the elevator to the lobby we were met with cool crisp air that just worsened the comparison of what we had to go through the night prior. When the topic was addressed to the front desk we were told there was no issue?!. That sealed my disgust.
Other less relevant issues that i would like to mention. For those of you with families traveling to Seattle, you should be aware that the Mayflower Park is located in the downtown area. It shuts down early so if you are looking for food close by its not so simple. Yes several blocks away was a diner or McDonalds but hello every block had a homeless person who was aggressively panhandling. We are from the NY area and are used to homeless but what was surprisingly different for us is the begging was very direct "in your face" here. At one point, two blocks away we entered a 7 11 on a Monday am about 9 am and we were immediately surrounded by begging people asking for handouts freaking my kids out. The mall that is attached to the hotel opens at 10am and closes by 6 so it is impossible not to have to walk amongst those less fortunate beggars for food and the Subway in the mall is open only on mall hours.Forget the hours on the weekend it shuts so early that its a dead zone.
The other negative our room was not ready until 3:55pm which maybe they couldn't fix but would have been better earlier so we could have grabbed an earlier jet lag nap.
On the positives, the concierge was very helpful and the doormen were delightful fun and very helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank happymomdad
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I know this place has gotten great reviews but we were not impressed. I get that it's a historical hotel but the elevator could have used an upgrade. The person we spoke to for check in was incredibly snobby and unfriendly. It seemed the valet guys were friendly only because of the tips. Parking was really expensive as well. The room we got was basic but it was incredibly squishy. The bathroom was nice and the decor was really classical, early century style, as is the lobby. The one thing I liked was the location. It's right around the corner from shopping and Westlake Center and Pike's Market. I was uninterested in walking around at night because it was a little sketchy so didn't get to see that much. We only stayed one night so didn't check out the amenities.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed four nights at the Mayflower last week, and couldn't have been more pleased. To start with, a mistake I had made in reserving was quickly cleared up by Mr. Mendelssohn at the check-in, and we were reminded of front-desk attention at some European hotels we've stayed at. We had their Summer special, which included Valet parking and full Breakfast. As others have said, the rooms are small compared to other high end hotels, and the bathrooms cozy, to put it mildly. But everything was clean, the housekeeping prompt and complete. Our room on the 12th floor looked out over the central plaza where there was always lots going on. A two-block walk to Pikes Market. No hesitation in recommending this hotel for central Seattle activities. (And the complimentary WiFi came in fine.)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Well, shoot.

I have stayed at the Mayflower Park a minimum of 6 times over the last 10 years, and this recent visit will be my last. I am a person that will put up with a lot, but I was pushed over the edge this trip.

First- Air-conditioning was inoperable. It blew warm air into the room in a very weak stream and the room temp 85F for 3 out of 4 nights stay. Unbearable to sleep in the tiny tiny room with the small, hard, possibly double bed (Was called a Queen on bill. Ha!! Maybe a Queen bed for a dwarf.)

When I asked the room service maid about getting it fixed, she said she would call her supervisor. Poor woman was sweating profusely because the halls were just as hot, maybe a little more so. A fan had magically appeared before I returned, presumably to move the hot room air in circles, which it did. Cool, it did not. Totally unacceptable for over $200 / night. Seriously.

Second- Room was hilariously small, I mean bump into furniture just trying to walk the crowded 4 feet to the TV or back to the bathroom. The small double bed took up most of this room that really did appear to be a regular room cut in half. This was evidenced by the crappy molding job done on the wall seam at the ceiling. To call the bed a Queen- come on, Mayflower, who do you think you are fooling? Yourselves I guess.

Third- One should not necessarily judge a hotel by their cable service- but, wow!! What a huge let down when I just want to watch some basic shows or God Forbid a 'premium' channel like HBO. I saw a homeless guy outside with a better cable package.

The 22 inch monitor they called a TV had very poor resolution, and looked like something Good Will might decline in a donation. I like to stay 'in' some nights, and therefore ended up having to watch older movies on my laptop (better sound and resolution, anyway)

This again is pathetic for over $200 a night. I have read they have Apple TV in some rooms, but there was none in my little hovel of a room. I guess I should've been happy I had e-lec-tricity.

Fourth- Don't say you offer free WiFi when you have spotty, slow, weak one bar service at best. And to put it behind a login page? Am I in the 21st century? I think I am, right? Yep, I thought I was, so hmm. Welcome back to Dial-Up!!

The service was so bad, I ended up using the personal Wifi hotspot through my cell phone so I could get pages to load in under 4 minutes. I was very glad I had that capability, otherwise conducting any business that requires the internet would have been impossible. Forget watching a movie on the 'Free' WiFi, of course.

Either drop this feature or seriously upgrade. It does not cost that much - everyone knows this. No, shut up, it doesn't cost much, really. The proof was very obvious to me that this service sucked- tons of personal Wifi networks in my network finder.

Fifth- I think I am going to forgo the numbering- getting too high, and is now annoying.

The Facilities / furnishings.- The bathroom, while pretty clean, was falling apart and shabby. From the random silicone used to patch tile(s) to the weak/strong shower with needle jets.

The shower faucet actually had a limiting hex bolt that prevented the shower getting warmer than antelope spit by virtue of blocking further rotation to the warm water side.. I had to lean on the lever and hope it would not break to get hot water.

By the way, it wasn't mis-bolted this way, this is sadly a common way for (cheap, crappy) hotels to save money. How about you get rid of the worthless bathrobes and with the cleaning cost savings you buy a $12 wifi tower and shove it behind the TV set in each room. Who needs a bathrobe to walk the 3 feet from the bathroom to the main room anyway? Right, nobody does. Just a little tip. Plus actual hot water would be nice.

Ok, onward, -This may be a liability thing, but please please please can we have rooms set aside somewhere in this country for Adults that allow the hotel window to open more than 6 inches? I'll sign a waiver, whatever it takes to have an 'Adult Style' room. With the 85F heat inside and the cooler air outside, that little gap did me no good. Sigh.

Another thing - more than half a roll of TP is expected for over $200 a night. Maybe or maybe not housekeeping's fault. Plus a shower curtain that fits the length of the shower; a bathroom with some sort of venting system; and an ice bucket larger than a coffee cup would all be nice. Bring a bag and a fan to this place if you are still gonna go there.

I think lastly, Room Service. - I get we're in a big city, I get there is no where else convenient to go, so you are a bit trapped, but do you really have to offer total crap for food? What am I going to send it back and wait another 45 minutes?

Honestly, really, in all honesty, McDonald's has this place beat for breakfast. I am not joking. I was amazed at how I was not going to finish even half of the lousy $43 plus service charge and tip breakfast. Very sad.

Examples: Burnt thin slab of dry 'Ham' served with super cheap barely normal sized eggs and an odd potato concoction that they tried to pass off as breakfast food. Protip: When one is eating a Chef prepared meal- one usually expects that the food is not randomly sweet, sour or salty all between or during bites. It was like a tongue nightmare, or a tongue bad dream at least.

I cook better than this, and that is really unfortunate for the chef. English muffin was a crushed bread puck slathered with a random oil or yellow fluid.

And the dinner was incredibly overpriced for the few drops of food you received. (By the way, I am not a big person, or a glutton). Dinner / lunch meals were average to good in quality, but not really worth your time and $ which was very disappointing. Sorry Andaluca, you may be overrated. Sorry.

Who doesn't like good cooked food *delivered* to them? If you say you don't, you're lying. So having shoe leather and crappy vegetables dropped off for $85 is unacceptable. Plus 18% mandatory room 'service' charge, THEN the gratuity. Save your money and go elsewhere. Elliot's is still good -I hope.

I actually could go on- believe it or not- but I suspect you might get the message. I used to live in Seattle, I know the area well and I felt I knew this hotel well after half a dozen visits. But they have fallen on hard times or just don't care anymore. The investors or executives appear to be bleeding and sucking this place dry, which is too bad. 'Reinvest' must not be in the higher up's vocabulary. Sigh again. Almost forgot: could hear the guy above me sneeze, and he wasn't sneezing that loud. This place is noisy.

TL:DR - Used to be a good place, now fallen down the toilet. Food, facilities are now not worth the fees. Paying more than $200 for ANY room in this place is not advised, and you can find much better for that amount. Don't go- seriously- don't.

-A saddened patron.

P.S.- if the managers or whoever would like to offer any enticement to come back, a comped suite is what you need to give up for at least a weekend. I lost four days of my life that are worth more than that, but it might repair my soul a tiny bit. First World Problems, I guess.

Room Tip: Check for a room at another hotel, that is your best bet at the Mayflower. Local neighborhood is get...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
8  Thank Brett T
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed here for free using credit card points. The room was nice, clean, but the bathroom was a little worn. Was in a corner room which was nice since there are two windows, but they had a view of offices and a roof. The door the to stairs is loud. Great location right by the monorail, one block from the light rail, and 2-3 blocks from the market. It's downtown Seattle so there are homeless around, but since you don't have far to go for anything it is not too overwhelming like other portions of downtown.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family