“Nice business location...and close enough to tourist areas!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Seattle Hotel

Renaissance Seattle Hotel
Ranked #47 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
West Jordan
“Nice business location...and close enough to tourist areas!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights. I agree with some of the comments (location, updating, etc). However, the hotel is more than fine for tourist attractions (if you don't mind walking and the hills)! If you walk down Madison (towards the water)...you end up right at the WA State Ferries building (to Bainbridge and Bremerton). We had no problems with the hills (we're in our 50's)...it is good exercise to help wear off the food(think Ivar's Acres of Clams for soup/fish...yummy). We took the light-rail from SeaTac ...and had no problem walking the few blocks with our roller-suitcases. Here's a tip if you are headed to WestLake Center (or downtown area...and to Pike's Public Market)--- take 6th Street to Pike (hills are not that bad there)!

The one thing that bothered me most about the hotel: the water pressure in the bathroom sink. It must have had some type of regulator/control...because it was next to impossible to rinse my razor / rinse my toothbrush. It didn't seem like a malfunction...it just seemed like super-poor water pressure from the faucet. The shower worked great...and have no complaints about that pressure.

We'd stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Thank you so much for using our hotel as a base while visiting Seattle.
I am pleased your enjoyed your stay and look forward to have you back on your next visit.

Rene Neidhart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (518)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

We were in town for a conference and our conference hotel was booked so we had to stay here for one night.
I am a Marriott Gold so this was a no brainer. Its funny that ever since I reached that status I have not found one club lounge that is not under renovation during my stay... as was the case here.
The hotel was adequate but if I was staying in Seattle as a tourist this hotel would not be my first choice, especially during cold months as the walk to all of the hot spots is pretty far and the hills are a killer.
I am not sure about the roll of the bellman as he simply opened our taxi door and watched us unload our luggage and then directed us to the door in front of us. We were on our own. The same was true when we departed the hotel. No offer for luggage asssistance at all. Perhaps they dont offer it.
I had an odd room that was at the end of the hall. I dont remember the room number but I dont recommend that room type. The room was set up "sideways" meaning you entered a small foyer, walked thru a short hallway to the bathroom and the bedroom was at the end. The problem was the hall was so small that the door was a sliding pocket door which offered ZERO privacy. I mean ZERO. There was at least an inch gap on each side and unless you were alone in the room your mate can see and hear everything.
The breakfast buffett selection was not what I expected however they did make a great omlet.
There was a lot of renovation in the lobby as well so it was unable to offer much of a welcoming atmosphere. I love my Marriott points but I would likely not return to this hotel when I return to Seattle.
There was a rooftop restaurant/lounge that did offer a great view of the city. The food was nothing to get excited about but we did enjoy the friendly staff and the view.

Room Tip: Ask to not be on an end room that has the sliding pocket door in the bathroom.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for staying with und your comments.
I am sorry that the service you received was not up to yours and our standard. Of course the role of the doorman is to take the luggage out of the trunk and put it back in. I am very sorry that this did not happen and we will use your experience to retrain our staff.

I am not sure when you were here but we haven’t had any lobby renovation for a while, but indeed for the last three days we did have scaffolding outside of the hotel that did impede the flow. I do apologize for this inconvenience. However all of it has been removed.
The room you described is a corner king and usually very popular amongst our guests.
We do appreciate your membership with the Marriott rewards program and I hope that your recent visit will not deter you from coming back to our hotel.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

This hotel has a seventies feel about it, and it is in need of updating. For airline personal or business travellers it's adequate, but I would not recommend this for tourists. It lacks a spa or pool but does have a club lounge with mediocre food. The hallway carpets are dark and sombre and the rooms, although clean are not light and airy. Our room had a great view, but it's a hike to the waterfront or to downtown. The staff are friendly and helpful, but overall it feels more like a perfect place for meetings and quick stop overs and a not such a great hotel for couples, families and friends travelling together.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for using our hotel as your base while in Seattle.
We are continuously updating the hotel and over the next few months we will touch up the lobby with new fabrics and color and renovate the public bathrooms and meeting space.
I am glad you enjoyed the room and the service of the hotel and hope that you will consider us again the next time you are in Seattle.

Redlands, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

We recently re-located to the Portland Oregon area and decided, last minute, to drive to Seattle for one night. My hubby booked the hotel based on it being Marriott, pet-friendly and location to the fish market. We hit the trifecta. The hotel was beautiful and the staff super friendly and welcoming. We unexpectedly got upgraded from a king room to the presidential suite! It was gorgeous with north, east & south views. Lots of space for our little 7 lb shih tzu pup to run. It was so nice we were tempted to just hang out there and order food in. =)

The location was great for being able to walk to some fun places. We walked to dinner at McCormick & Schmidt's Seafood House, then around the area. We really lucked out being it was Thanksgiving week. We thought everything would be busy but it was the opposite. And, the weather was great! Cool and sunny, no rain. The next morning we walked to the fish market and had a great time. Lots of stuff to try & buy. I will say if you're not comfortable on hills, you shouldn't plan to walk this city. It is VERY HILLY. It reminded me of San Francisco. So wear comfortable shoes!

The staff was great about our pup. She had a nervous accident on the lobby tile and they quickly cleaned it up with a smile. I felt terrible but their reaction help calm me. I will say the location for dogs to "go" is not convenient. It's a little walk and no grass. It took her a little while to go since she's use to grass but she finally got it and went.

This hotel is fabulous in so many ways. The staff, the decor, the location, the rooms. We had a wonderful time at the Marriott and will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marci R
Dear Marci,
Thank you very much for staying with us and your great review. I am glad you enjoyed our service and hope you will be returning to us real soon.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

So, I think the hotel itself was quite good, and quite a great value. The room was excellent, and the service was superb.

I went into this blind, not knowing Seattle - so if I were to do it again, I'd pick something closer to the waterfront and 1st/2nd streets. Getting anywhere on foot from this hotel is a task, as it is at the top of an ENORMOUS hill, with nothing much around it.

The restaurant was so-so, and the downstairs bar was always crowded with dour looking businessmen. Definitely go to the bar at the top of the hotel - the bartender is friendly and she's funny, too. I loved the room and the view, had zero complaints about the service, and the Downtown Airporter shuttle drops off right in front.

Room Tip: Get a high room in a corner if you can! The views are great, but only at the top.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you for staying with us while coming to Seattle.
I am glad you enjoyed the comfort of our hotel and our service.
I agree with you that the bar on the 28th floor is the place to be and offers the best view of the city. While we are on a hill, enormous might be a bit of an exaggeration, the approach along 6th avenue is not as steep as coming up Madison street.

I hope that your overall experience, cleanliness and servic will make your reconsider you decision and I look forward to your next stay with us.

Beaverton, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

This is a good business-class hotel in the heart of the financial district of Seattle, within 10 blocks of Pike Place Market and other downtown tourist sights. We had booked on a package including valet parking and a $50 dining credit. There were 4 of us (2 adults, 2 children), and we had a room (#907) with 2 double beds.
In my reservation, I had requested extra pillows and extra towels. Neither of these were honored, so in the morning, we discovered only 3 bath towels, not 4 (my reservation even noted 4 guests in the room).
The mattresses were comfortable enough, but the box spring rocked from side to side on both beds. Added to the feeling the room didn't match the expected standard, the TV signal on every channel kept cutting in and out.
When I brought my concerns up to the front desk in the morning, the clerk muttered something about a $50 credit, but it turned out I think she thought I had already been given a credit, though the credit was part of my room package.
In the evening, we enjoyed a drink in the lounge at the 28th floor, with professional service.
The breakfast in Maxwell's cafe was great, with excellent food.
I may return to this hotel, but most likely without the kids, and as a Marriott Rewards member hopefully get an upgraded room.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Philip H
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Philip,
Thank you so much for your business and your review.
I am sorry that we did not meet all your expectations and we will use your comments and share them with our staff to insure we correct our flaws.
On the other hand I am pleased you liked your experience in R view and Maxwell and we look forward to have you back.
Please call me the next time you are in town and I will make sure you have a better experience.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

we chose to stay at the renaissance hotel in downtown seattle since it was less than a mile away from the stadium. anything closer was a lot more expensive around game day. it ended up being a great location because it was approx. 15-20 minutes walking distance from everywhere we wanted to go (pikes place, stadium, happy hour, space needle, etc). the only downside was that the hotel was on 6th and madison…up on a hill. so every night (after long, long days), we had to walk uphill. we didn’t mind this too much since we were trying to get a lot of steps in with our new fitbits! the hotel looks older on the the outside but relatively renovated on the inside. great lobby. one thing to note is that the concierge lounge has very different hours and is not open on certain days. overall, really liked this hotel and would definitely recommend this.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Linh F
Thank you so much Linh for choosing the Renaissance and for your nice comments.
We are indeed closer to the Stadiums than most other hotels, just about a 15/20 minutes walk.
I am glad you liked the hotel and look forward to have you back, maybe for Seahawk playoff game in January.