2,062 results
All reviewsthe concierge loungetop floornice hotelcorner roomself parkwithin walking distancefitness centerlobby barspace needlepike place marketper dayparking garagefew blocksgreat roomdowntown areapioneer squarehappy hour
Reviewed 26 February 2014

This is my third stay at this Marriott property and I daresay it will be my last. Overall, it just lacks any sense of the magnificent city it sits in. The location is not bad; you can walk to dining options in Capitol Hill or down to Downtown/waterfront.

The best thing about this hotel is the staff. They are friendly and gracious and helpful.

The worst thing about this property (and it is a deciding con) is the property. The rooms are clean and sheets are good but the furniture, walls, windows and carpet are overdue for a reno. It just lacks any charm or sense of current style. Renaissance Hotels often seem to not know what they want to project, but this one does and it is projecting TIRED.

The club lounge is a zoo--too small for the myriad elites trying to eat the Courtyard by Marriott-style "buffet." There were 10 full tables and 20 people standing around when I decided to walk to Top Pot for a donut.

There is a real lack of any luxury Marriotts in Seattle (pssst: Ritz Carlton, I am looking at you). But for the price this sad, old Ramada Inn-feeling property from the early 1990s just isn't going to cut it.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Innkeepers,
Thank you so much for staying with us and your great comments.
I am especially pleased that you liked or staff and service. We do agree with you on your comments regarding the upkeep of the hotel and we are continuously updating some areas of the hotel.
In 2 weeks we will open our new enlarged, 50% more equipment, health club.
In May we will have a new more modern feel to the lobby.
In June we open new meeting space on the 28th floor.
Later this winter we change all the guest room carpets and chairs, as well as an expansion of the club lounge. So really all the things you are asking for.

Thank you again for your great feedback.I hope that you will change your mind and return and check us out on your nest visit to Seattle.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We had a great stay here. The hotel is nice I read reviews about the music and scented candles being a downside. We did not find these to be a hinderance at all, in fact we thought it was a nice addition. The biggest downside is the highway and the terribly dirty windows. We had two rooms and both had hideously dirty windows. Not much of a city view if you can barely see out the windows. Thankfully one of our windows in the second room was clean so we cut our losses and stayed there. To make matters worse we watched window cleaners accorss the way and found ourselves envious. The window dirtiness seems to be between the panes so perhaps its a replacement vs cleaning issue but regardless it detracted from our stay. When I told the check-out staff she said "I guess the window cleaners run out of oxygen up there." Not sure what I expected her to say but this wasn't helpful. Probably won't stay here again but it has many nice touches. Lobby is nice, rooms are clean, and location is great.

Room Tip: ask for a Northwest corner room (they specifically seem to keep them unavailable for the average traveler...). Highway is the east side, avoid that.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us and your feedback.
I am glad you had a great stay. We are in the process to replace all eastside guestroom windows. This will not only take care of the highway noise but also replace the windows that have the dirt between the window pans.
The Northwest corner rooms are indeed our most requested rooms and we have many repeat guests that request them every week.

We look forward to have you back.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

This was a trip to remember. I can’t remember the last time a Marriott Hotel has failed so poorly. I’ll hit the highlights: Pleasant check-in, however, a couple next to us were complaining about their room. This should have been the first sign. During our check-in the front desk clerk stated that we were placed in a corner suite, then corrected herself, and said we are next to a suite but “our room” has great views of the city. Thanks for the teaser and miscommunication! As a platinum elite and platinum for life member I was hoping the few business trips my wife takes with me we would get upgraded so I can show her the Marriott brand. I was wrong. We were placed in a tiny room. Now the problems seriously started. It was late afternoon on Friday and I had one more conference call before heading out to explore. During the phone call with I was met with a drill/jackhammer above us. That was a nice welcome. Perhaps the front desk should have said “We are wrapping up construction near your room and it won’t occur over the weekend”. Next, my wife tapped me on the shoulder to show me the cluster of extension cords that extended under our mattress from one side of the room to another (see picture). In order for her to plug in her iPhone we had to rearrange the daisy chained extension cords in a Level 6 Hotel. Marriot – you should be ashamed this is Level 6. How does this even pass building code? The electricians were so lazy during renovation, the outlets were not moved but rather three daisy chained extension cords were used to plug things in our tiny room. After these continual hiccups on a planned romantic weekend I had enough and walked downstairs. Respectfully, I allowed the front desk to clear other check-ins before I discussed my issues. I asked a series of questions such as what is the current capacity of the room, answered with just over 50%. This only increased displeasure because she alluded to half the hotel is empty and I was placed next to construction and the tiny room? After increased displeasure of the room I was placed into the “suite”. I thought it would help the front desk understand why I was complaining by showing pictures of the room I took on my phone. I was met with a gasp and surprise. I would expect the front desk to walk the rooms from time to time or understand what customers complain about? The “suite” upon check-in was spacious at first. After additional inspection I noticed every room has daisy chained extension cords under the mattress. That must be the way they shaved some cost on electrical? Then things got worse. Paint bubbling/chipping, broken vents, two showers within four feet of each other (see pictures)? To cap it off, while brushing my teeth I noticed weird trippy lighting. I looked up, and to my surprise, three unique light bulbs giving off three unique light shades (see pictures). Spectacular. It is apparent management doesn’t walk the rooms. At this point my wife and I just laughed and called this a Marriott fail. We will not be back nor recommend to coworkers to stay here. The Marriott on the waterfront is much nicer.

2  Thank InfoSecR0a4Warrior
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us and your review.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay. I will look in to your comments and contact you directly to discuss the issues with you.
We strive very much to satisfy all of our guests and as much as we try we did not come through and for that am very sorry.
We will use your experience as a training tool to insure we improve upon our service.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Wife and I snuck away for a weekend in Seattle, stayed at the Renaissance for two nights. It was my first time in the hotel, my wife has previously stayed there as part of a stagette.

Pros
The hotel's location is great if you enjoy walking as we do. Since it's located at the top of the hill, each day started with a leisurely downhill stroll. The shopping area is only 5 minutes away, Pike Place Market is 10. The stadium area is a bit far but so long as the weather isn't too bad it is a pleasant walk. I quite enjoyed the steep, vigorous hike required to return to the hotel in the afternoon and evening! Very impressive staff, everyone was very friendly and concerned that we were enjoying our stay. We were constantly greeted with hellos. The front desk, doormen and lounge servers were especially gracious. The thermostat was perhaps the most responsive hotel temperature control I have ever seen. If you want the room to be 68 degrees instead of 69, this unit could make that happen.

Cons
We were on the 16th floor facing the I5 and there was considerable traffic noise. I sleep like a hibernating bear so it didn't bother me but I can imagine it would bother lots of people, it was quite noticeable. Our king size bed was decent, but it certainly didn't feel luxurious! Good enough to sleep on but I expected something more from a four star hotel. The shower worked great but the shower head was quite low. I am 6'5" tall and the shower head was plumbed to about 6' up and the water came out a couple inches lower than that. Unfortunately that was about the height of my shoulder blades, making for a somewhat awkward shower experience.

Overall, I would love to stay at the Renaissance again!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jake,
Thank you very much for staying with us and your nice comments about our staff..
We do appreciate your comments about the traffic noise and are in the process of installing new triple glass windows in all east facing rooms. That should eliminate all the traffic noise from the highway.

We look forward to see you again on your next trip to Seattle.

Reviewed 21 February 2014

The staff was friendly, the room was fine and the location was okay. At registration I handed over my business credit card for 'incidentals', as we had purchased our stay via hotwire.com. The card did not go through because, we were told, it was a business card. I gave them a personal card and it worked. What I found the next morning is that there was a $150.00 charge on my business card and two charges on my personal card; one for $50 (which we expected) and one for $130 for our dinner and bar expenses. We asked the very nice person at the front desk to please remove the charge on the business card, as it should not have been there in the first place. The very nice person had us speak to the manager, who politely explained that the charge would disappear within 72 hours. We said we would appreciate it if he would contact the bank and have them remove the charge. He assured us that he would.
Secondly, our dining experience was less than wonderful. The food was passable, but not great. I ordered a vegetarian cassoulet. Cassoulet is a wonderful dish that includes many steps in preparation and contains several ingredients. What I received was a dish of a baked vegetable. I told the wait staff that this was tasty, but it was certainly not cassoulet. He very politely explained that cassoulet is prepared differently, depending on where you go. My baked vegetable cost $20.00.
We mentioned this to the manager, as well. He said the charge would be removed and that he would speak to the restaurant manager. Again, he was very polite.
A few days later the charge to my business account was still there. We called and spoke to the assistant manager who assured us she had spoken to the bank and the charge would disappear, probably that very day. Three days later the charge remained. We called the hotel and asked to speak to the general manager, or at least get an email address for him or her. We were told that we could not have that information for 'security reasons', but that we could speak (again) to the assistant manager. We called three times and received no return calls. Unprofessional? You bet. Will we go there again? No way.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your review.
I am sorry that we were not able to satisfy your needs during your stay.
1. Since we charged your personal credit card, the hold on your business visa card should not have been placed. Unfortunately once it is there we can not easily remove it. It really is up to the bank to remove the hold.
2. Of course your meal should have been to your liking and I will review your comments with my chef.
3. Your comments about my e-mail address really intrigues me as I do not see a security risk myself and I have made very clear to my employees that my email address can be given out to all guests requesting it. I am very sorry about that miscommunication.

Despite the obvious shortcomings you did comment on the service in a positive way, and I truly appreciate that.

In closing I would like to apologize once again for the less than stellar performance from my team and hope that you will reconsider and return to stay with us on your next trip to Seattle.