Renaissance Seattle Hotel
US$283
US$273
  • Fitness centre
1,997 results
All reviewsthe concierge loungetop floornice hotelroad noisecorner roomself parkfitness centerwithin walking distancespace needlelobby barpike placeper dayparking garagefew blocksgreat roomdowntown areapioneer square
Reviewed 1 April 2014

I just completed six days in this Seattle hotel. The experience was pleasant, although there are some caveats.

Arrival:
I arrived on a Sunday morning from the east coast. As is normal for west coast hotels, rooms are seldom available for those of us who travel across the country and arrive, according the clock, only two hours after we left. The folks at the front desk stored my bags and provided me with a key to the Club Lounge to chill until my room was ready. An hour or so later I was escorted from the Lounge to my corner room.

Room:
This is an older hotel that was recently upgraded. My corner room was fairly current, yet the room lay out is certainly older hotel. The king sized bed filled the bedroom with no room for a dresser. This was solved with window bench seating around the windows; an interesting, fun touch. Beneath the seats were drawers that served well. There is also a bureau in hall.

Of note are extension cords under each night stand. This is very thoughtful considering many people must travel with CPAP devices. I usually have to move the mattress to (hopefully) discover an outlet.

The bath is okay - clean but nothing special. Toiletries are a small step above average quality. Linens are in good condition.

The living room has a nice desk with plenty of electrical outlets topside. The couch is not comfortable, but might be a hide-a-bed (I did not check). The TVs (BR and LR) are older flat panels, but work well.

Restaurants:
Breakfast has two offerings - the Club Lounge and the main restaurant, Maxwell's. The CL offers eggs, sausage, toast, fruit, toast, oatmeal, etc. The food is fine - not special, but certainly worth the trip to the 26th (?) floor. Breakfast at Maxwell's is via menu or buffet. I trolled the buffet and was well satisfied.

Lunch at Maxwell's was also a buffet; well worth the $16 price if in a hurry.

The 28th floor restaurant was visited once for dinner. The menu was limited but the food more than acceptable. Take your phone flash light with you - this place is so dark reading the menu is impossible without your own illumination.

Cautions:
As others have noted, you are heavily penalized for parking a car in this part of Seattle. The Renaissance will set you back almost $50 (including tax) for a night of storage. If flying, just take the train or cab from SEA.

Hills, hills, and more steep hills. Comparing these walks to the waterfront with those in San Francisco is fair - and perhaps more steep. Most people who walk trek to the wharf to dine on seafood (Elliot's is my favorite) take a cab back up the hill. Seriously. Not impossible, but nearly so if not properly shod.

Ratings:
Staff/Service 4+ of 5
Room 3 of 5
Cleanliness 5 of 5
Food 3 of 5

Summary:
This is a fine hotel worth the visit. Skip the car if possible and use the train or cabs. Sample the many good restaurants in this section of Seattle.

Room Tip: Try for a corner room on an upper floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank PkFloydLvr2014
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

Thank you very much for your visit and great review.
I do appreciate your detailed account of your stay and considering that you spend a week in the hotel you had great things to say about our staff. and service.
We are indeed a little bit older than most hotels but continuously upgrade our facility. We just finished the health club and we are getting great reviews from our regular customers. Next we renovate the lobby and all of or public restroom and in the fall we will start with our guestrooms.

Again thank you for your nice comments and we look forward of having you back.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend while attending a Seahawks game in November 2013. We booked the hotel on hotwire as a "hot rate" and were very impressed with the value we received from this hotel.

The only downside to this hotel is its location. It is a ten minute walk to the main shopping and dining district around Pike/Pine streets (with children this might be too inconvenient). I had read that some people complained of the noise from the freeway. Our room was actually located over the freeway and we did not notice any noise at all.

The rooms are beautiful. Spacious, clean, modern. The bed was extremely comfortable and I appreciated the extra seating space.

The lobby had a nice lounge to order drinks in before heading out for the evening.

The front desk staff was very accommodating as originally we only booked one night, then booked a second through Hotwire. They happily kept us in the same room and joined our reservation so we did not have to check out/check in.

A good hotel, and great value for the price we paid!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stefanie0717
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Thank you very much Stephanie for staying with us and your nice review.

While we are a 10 minute walk to the shopping center of town we are that much closer to the stadiums.
Nice that you mention that you did not hear the highway despite having a room on the east side. It seems that our new windows, we have been testing since last fall, do work. We are starting tomorrow to install all new windows on the east side.

Again thank you for your nice comments about our staff and we look forward to have you back.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

This is my third visit to this hotel and each time there have been major staffing issues. No valet, total confusion at check-in, long lines. If you like that..this is your hotel in Seattle. Oh once you get to talk with a staff member they are very nice, it's just that there are too few of them and too many guests. On two occasions I have talked with hotel management and they say it's just a one time event. Really, when the same things happens months apart? There was a very long line for valet parking, so long Seattle PD came by. There was only one over-worked person parking cars. We had to unpack our car, roll our luggage into the lobby on a valet cart. Then we had to wait in a very long line for check in. Then when no one was there to take luggage to the room, used the same cart to roll it there ourselves. Now that's all good and fine at a Courtyard hotel..but this isn't. Nice physical property, clean rooms and and good location.

Room Tip: corner rooms have more space.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank MrTravelinman
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2014

Dear Mr. Travelinman,
I am very sorry that you did have another bad check in experience.
While we were over extended during the check in time I can assure we do not understaff to save money. In fact we have hired 6 new employees in the last week just to avoid exactly the situation you are talking about. Effective April 15 we will also have a separate check in station for our Elite members.

I can assure you that we are taking guest service very serious and please contact me directly when you come back to Seattle. I want to insure personally that you have a great stay.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

The staff at the lobby and bar were really rude and acted like they hated their jobs. They were not helpful at all! The rooms are small for the hotel rating. Overall, not a pleasant experience. I will never book this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank J_tly

Thank you for staying with us and your comments.
I am sorry that you felt our staff was rude and does not like to work in our hotel.
While you do not give us anything to go by, we have tried to contact you separately, I do apologize for the lack of service and apparent rudeness. I can assure you that we take your comment very serious.
Please contact us and let us know the nature of your complaint. We want to insure that this remains an isolated incident.

Thank you again and I hope that your last experience will not deter you from coming back.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

My boyfriend and myself stayed in room 2203 this past Saturday night. The staff was very fast and efficient with check in. I love the hotel lobby area with all the small seating areas. So many great places to curl up with a book later in the evening! The room was on the small side, but perfect for our needs. I love the sliding doors on the bathrrom and the closet. The full length mirror next to the bathroom was a very nice touch also. The bathroom is a bit small for my liking, but was functional and had great lighting. The tub really should not be called a tub. It could not have been more than 6 inches off the floor. I am a tall big gal and there is no way I could have taken a bath if I wanted to! Then again, I have been spoiled by the Westin's bathroom set up in the past, so I really didn't count that as a negative.

There were two big problems that put a damper on my stay.

#1 Parking- I paid for the parking which came to about $40. The price didn't phase me. It is downtown at a hotel, I expect and budget for this cost. Parking comes with in and out privileges
which I planned to utlizie throughout my stay. When I came back from our day of exploring to drop off the car before heading into the city, the garage was full. I was unable to leave my car at the hotel as planned. There was a note that overnight guests to take their cars to valet parking. I am sorry, I can't do this. I never allow anyone else to drive my car. If I had known that this was going to be a possibliity, I would not have paid for parking and made alternate arrangements. Instead I had to drive to dinner and pay for parking there on top of what I had already paid. Thankfully, by the time I got back to the hotel, I had managed to find a parking spot in the garage for the night.
So just be aware that this could happen to you.

#2 and is the biggie of the trip and the reason this hotel was rated as average instead of very good.... Thermostat broken/no AC!!
When we arrived to the room, it was very warm and reading at 74 degrees. I promptly turned it down to the mid 60's. When we returned to the room around 10 pm, and the room was still soo stuffy and hot. Thermostat was reading at 73. I turned it all the way down to 60. We got ready for bed, but couldn't take the heat. Around midnight, I went down to the front desk. The gal was very nice and said she would send up someone to take a look at it. Maintenance arrived in about 5 mins. He dinkered with the thermostat and the AC unit. He said that it was putting out air, just not hot or cold air. He said it just needed more time to cool down. He did bring up a huge box fan for us to use. It was loud and very distruptive to my sleep. Sleeping in that room was miserable. We tossed and turned all night. It was stuffy, super and felt like I was on a tropical island sans the ocean breeze and tropical drinks! When I woke up the thermostat was reading 75 degrees!! It was cooler in the hallway than it was in our room. The next morning, I did let the lady at the front desk know that it was miserable in that room and that the problem had not been fixed. She said she would let maintenence know so they could look at it after they left. It was not fun in that room.

Will I be back? Possibly. The property was great and would have loved to spend more time relaxing down in the lobby areas. I did love the location and the fact that it was outside of city center. The parking situation kinda ticked me off and the sweltering room made it worse.
When asked I asked my bf to help me rate the hotel, I think his words sum it up best "It is a very nice place, but they could have done better."

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Dear Debbie,
Thank you very much for the opportunity to have you as our guest and for the very detailed review.
I appreciate that you liked the overall feel of the hotel. I am however very concerned that the a/c unit did not work. My sincerest apology for not being able to rectify the situation.
Your last sentence summarized the stay and I would love to show you that we can do better.
Please contact me directly when you come back to Seattle and I will personally insure that you have a great stay. You can contact me at Neidhart@renaissanceseattle.com.

Thank you again, and we look forward to have you back.