“Great hotel in a good location”

Renaissance Seattle Hotel
Ranked #50 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Its nice when you return to a hotel after raising some points to discover they have been resolved. The previous gym was too small and busy, they have now opened a new one which is much larger and better - great job. The internet was poor before, which they have also upgraded to a much better service however they are still charging for internet! Its 2014, this is crazy!
Rooms are fairly decent, some have traffic noise issues but I understand this is being resolved soon. Breakfast and food is good, as is the happy hour on the top floor bar.
Concierge staff and valet staff are always smiling and helpful.

Room Tip: Try to get high and opposite site of highway to avoid noise.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2014

Thank you very much for coming back and staying with us again.
I am so glad that you like our improvements to the gym and the increased high speed internet.
While we understand the cost concerns related to our services these improvements are expensive.
We continue to upgrade our hotel with new windows on the east side to reduce the noise level and we hope you enjoy our new look in the lobby when you come back again.

Best regards

Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed here a few years ago and when my usual hotel for Seattle trips was booked, I looked here as I had enjoyed it when I last visited.

I came with 4 other friends in 2 separate rooms. We were a little disappointed that there wasn't a pool (as several reviews said there was, but I phoned ahead to check in case).
The weight room was incredible, and the restaurant downstairs was delicious. We ate there all three breakfasts we were in town.

The lobby is amazing and the staff are very friendly and accommodating, however for the price we paid for the rooms, it was a little disappointing.
Our friend's room did not have a working safe (they borrowed ours), and their bathroom had caulking missing from around the tub, and a few tiles that seemed a little loose.
Our room seemed ok, except that for some reason the bathroom had a sliding door which when open covered the full length mirror outside. When one person wants to leave the bathroom and another is trying on her outfit for dinner, it was very frustrating to try and co-ordinate.
My friend couldn't figure out how to set the alarm, and even though the button on the phone said "front desk", it did not connect to anything when I tried to use it.

I don't think the room was worth the price we paid, considering how they looked compared to the shared areas of the building, but we did still have a nice trip.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2014

Dear Ms. Wilson,
thank you so much for coming back to stay with us.
We appreciate your feedback about our public space and our breakfast.
I am sorry your friends safe was not working.

We will start a complete redo of all of guest rooms this fall and I hope you will be back on your next visit to Seattle.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

I stay in a lot of different hotels and need quiet clean rooms after my flight to relax. This hotel is real great, good location and pleasantly nice staff. Room service is good and real quick, amazing friendly and polite staff, I'll be back on the the 21st and looking forward to it, thanks to all!!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your business and your great review.
We too look forward to have you back at the end of the month.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

We arrived after a long drive and there was no place for our car and for a long time no valet to help us. We were half in the street with traffic struggling around us until we were finally directed to drive around the corner and squeeze into a spot on a very steep street. We then carried our bags to the hotel, had difficulty getting through the doors with them and checked in. Although the room was on the highway we were not bothered by the noise, the room was quite nice and large enough, our breakfast was ample and well prepared. THe room was relatively expensive and our arrived badly handled.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mpeders

Thank you so much for a staying with us and your comments.
I am sorry that check in did not go as it should have. We had a couple of days in March were we had a staffing issue with our valets and I do apologize for that. We have fixed the problem and are fully staffed now. I am glad you liked your room and hope you will back on your next visit to Seattle.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

The lobby is nice, but sets you up for a big disappointment when you see your room. The metal door opens to a poorly lit room with very loud traffic sounds... So loud, I was certain the window was left open, but amazed to discover it closed.

The beds are firm with little cushion and quite springy - Each time you move the bed will shimmy back and forth like an old Cadillac with a broken suspension. It even sometimes made squeaking noises from the compression of the springs, and I'm only 200 lbs.

At night (or more importantly) early morning, the lighting is inadequate until the sun comes up. Don't get me wrong, there are several fixtures (suitable for moving around), but even when they are all on, there is not enough light to look over your clothes in preparation for the day.

The TV was very small for the viewing distance. Parking was $40+ per night. The thermostat would only cool to 65. Housekeeping also apparently does not check the alarm clock in their cleaning routine - I was awoken at 4 AM from where the previous person set it.

I admit to nitpicking. In singularity, most of these items are excusable...But when considered together add up to a disappointing stay. I feel cheated. All in all an 'ok' hotel if your expectations are low - Certainly not what the pictures show or what I would expect at this star level.

Room Tip: I would suggest asking for a high room opposite the highway, but they might ignore your request as t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 907REVIEWS

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you and for your feedback.
I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay as much as we would have hoped. We are in the process to replace all the windows on the eastside of the building that overlook the highway. In addition we start a complete guestroom reservation this fall.

We do value you as a guest and please to not hesitate to contact me directly when your plans bring you back to Seattle.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

This hotel looks modern, clean, and well appointed. Rooms are large, beds comfortable, bathrooms have everything you need. Staff was attentive to their tasks, but not personable. Housekeeping did a great job making up my room, attentive to detail, and I felt my belongs were safe. The noise from the freeway was distinctive and made sleeping difficult. Next time I would bring earplugs. Nice property that is very well maintained with an efficient staff.

Room Tip: try to get a room facing the waterfront.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank calguyCalifonria
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

Thank you very much for the opportunity to serve you and your comments.
I am glad to hear that you liked your stay overall and your great comment about our bed and comfort of the room overall is appreciated.
We do understand the noise issue on the freeway side and the good news is that we are in the process of replacing all the windows on the east side of the building. So the odds are great that on your next trip to Seattle the issue will be resolved.

Again thank you and we look forward to have you back.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

We were so pleasantly surprised with a great upgraded room and generous amenity. We are platinum this year and there was availability so the rooms controller was not stingy! They called it a mini suite, but it was larger than that. The young lady who checked us in was very nice and very friendly. (sorry, I didin't get her name-but her long hair did cover her nameplate).
You know how it is, you check in KNOWING that a "given" hotel is half full at best and they give you the most minimal of upgrades, if at all. Anna and her staff were also awesome. The concierge lounge is very comfy with the typical breakfast Marriott offers, only the eggs weren't rubber! There were brownies and cheese/crackers in the evening with reasonably priced wine/drinks.
We had a lovely stay albeit short. Thank you, Anna, thank you Renaissance. We will return if in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vicky-McG
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

Dear Vicky,
thank you very much for the opportunity to be your host and for the great review.
We do appreciate that you took the time to comment about our staff and service.
We do ho hope you comme back to Seattle and look forward to serve you again.