“Great hotel”

Renaissance Seattle Hotel
Ranked #51 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed one night at this hotel on a trip to Seattle. I had booked through Priceline so got a good deal. We arrived about 12:30 to check in and were given our room early - really lovely staff member at the front desk who checked us in and no mention of Priceline. we were put on the 20th floor, comfortable double beds, facing the highway but no noise at all. Free wifi in the lobby - too bad it is not in the room - did not want to pay the $12.95. Really nice lobby with comfy chairs to sit in to pick up the wifi and the water jugs in the lobby were a plus! We had a bite to eat and drinks in the lobby bar/restaurant - they have $6.00 deals each day - appetizers were good! The only negative about the hotel would be that it is a bit of a walk to the downtown core or Pike Street Market.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Hi there,
thank you so much for staying with us while in Seattle.
We appreciate your business and your great comments about our service.
Whenever possible we provide access to our rooms early, regardless of the booking channels.
Of course when we have a lot of people checking out late such as on weekends the rooms can not be available at noon. In your case you were lucky and we were happy to let you check in early.

We look forward to welcome you back on your next visit to Seattle.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Stayed overnight at the Renaissance Seattle Hotel this weekend. The hotel seemed to be hit by the start of cruise ship season and wasn't prepared for the volume of guests. Upon arrival at noon, there were guests scattered over the lobby with luggage everywhere. After a 20 min wait we were able to check in, but told rooms weren't available until 4pm. The staff was polite and helpful and let us check our bags so we could go out shopping. When we came back later that afternoon the crowds had dispersed and we picked up our baggage and were given keys to our room.

The location is fairly central - a short walk to the convention center or a little further to Pike place. Be aware that the hotel is an uphill walk from Pike.

The hotel is older but decor has been updated. The rooms were clean and in ok condition. TV was a little frustrating as it was old and took 10 - 20 seconds to switch between channels. Our room on the 20th floor faced the highway, but we didn't notice the noise. However, the air conditioning unit was quite loud when it kicked in at night. Yes, the windows needed a clean, but to be honest there wasn't much to look at in that direction anyway. There line at checkout wasn't nearly as long.

One suggestion is to not have the front desk staff leave the desk to escort guests - In our case they personally picked up our bags and delivered to the room and we saw a couple other times that the desk staff left to take a guest to the elevators or somewhere else. This is probably done as a personal touch, but is frustrating to watch when you're standing in line to check in and the desk staff walks off.

Overall we had a pleasant enough stay. I would consider another stay at a good rate, but would find the regular rates too pricy.

Dear Explorer,

Thank you for the opportunity to have you as our guest.
We appreciate your nice comments about our hotel. We had indeed a large group from Australia checking in that day and we did have a bit of a congestion in the morning.
I am glad you found the service to be pleasant.
We are taking your comments to heart and will review them with the front office team to insure that we provide service but at the same we have to be aware of how it affects all guests.

Again thank you and we hope you will be back with us.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We spent three days sightseeing in Seattle, and the Renaissance was an excellent base of operations. It's an easy walk to Pike Street Market, Pioneer Square, the waterfront, and the monorail to the Space Needle and Chiluly Gardens, as well as several great restaurants and bars. The concierge was helpful in booking a couple tours for us too, and suggested some fun activities and good restaurants.

We were upgraded to a corner suite, which was very large and had a great view, but I can't speak to the other rooms. The hotel is old. They have upgraded the common areas, but the rooms still have an older feel.

The restaurant on the second floor is great for breakfasat. The service is outstanding. The one on the 28th floor has a nice view and offers good food at reasonable prices for dinner. The bar on the lobby level has several local draft beers at very affordable prices ($6.50 for a large glass) as well as decent bar food.

The only negative I can think of is that this area has a lot of street people, especially to the SE of the hotel, toward Pioneer Square. While it's great to be able to walk to so many tourist locations, the downtown area seems to be a haven for the homeless, which makes these excursions less enjoyable.

Room Tip: Get a high floor for the view, preferably on the south (waterfront) side.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for staying with us during your last vacation.
I am glad you enjoyed our hotel and especially our Food and Beverage operations. We too like the view from R view and the food in Maxwell. Our servers have been with us for years and we get a lot of positive feedback.
Seattle like any large city unfortunately has its share of homeless people.

Please come back to visit us on your next trip to Seattle.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Just spent three days at this hotel on our first trip to Seattle. We were very happy with the location and our ability to walk to all the places we wanted to see. The woman who greeted us at the front desk could not have been nicer as was the concierge. Our rooms were nice and it was nice to have R View to grab dinner after a long travel day. Will be going back to Seattle at the end of the summer and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Just note that two beds are double--not queen.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you so much for the opportunity to have you as our guest.
I will share your nice comments about our hotel with my staff and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This hotel has a modern upbeat vibe - The minute we arrived we were checked in - Elite or not!
Our room was sleek, and relaxing. I won't rave about the bed and it's linens but I could.
I will rave about the fun guide book sitting on the desk - not the silly binder tomes you generally find in hotels. Some one figured out how to write something guests would actually read, use and enjoy. We also loved the set up to charge phones and use computers even though we were in Seattle to unplug. Thank you to the Navigators (i.e "concierge") who helped up locate the best breakfasts, happy hours, theaters and restaurants with such good humor and kindness. And if you don't want to wonder Seattle, stay put in their colorful lounge and chill with a great martini.
My only traveling tip is this : DON'T walk along 1st to Madison and then up, up, up to 6th unless you are a trained mountaineer. Instead, walk up Stewart or Pike (kinder gentler hills) to 6th and turn right and walk till you get to Madison. If you have a suitcase you will appreciate this. If not, ice cold water awaits you in the lobby along with a warm team of hospitality at this wonderful downtown hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Dreema,

thank you so much for the opportunity to serve you and your great review.
We couldn't have said it better ourselves and all I can tell you is that we will get better and better as we renovate our guest rooms this fall.

We look forward to have you back real soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed here this past week and have to say that it was one of my favorite hotels of the 3 that I stayed out. It's a big hotel and there were groups checking in and out at all times but on the whole, the front desk managed the process pretty well.

I would say that the reason that I liked this hotel so much is because the beds were so comfortable. The mattresses were bouncy, there were plenty of pillows and damn it all, the covers and sheets smelled so good and clean -- like they were freshly laundered, which is how things should be.

My other small but favorite thing is the flavored water stations. I had the orange apple infused water and it was great.

This may be a 4 star hotel but in my book, the low hassle, clean linens and comfortable bed made it 5* worthy. Yes, the rooms are somewhat small, but I'm out all day and just used the room to shower and sleep.

Room Tip: Demand a room that doesn't face the freeway AND one that is away from the elevators. The front...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Norman T
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Norman,
Thank you so much for the opportunity to have you as our guest.
We appreciate your great comments about our beds and service.
We hope to have another opportunity to welcome you back real soon.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed there for a conference. Arrived at a busy time and walked passed their elite check in desk. Tonya waived me in, checked me in happily, set me up with a nice room even I am not an elite member. Three days later, I checked out with Fifta and Jasonelle. I asked for driving directions. They realized I have 2 hrs of driving to deal with. Fifta went to the back and got me two bottles of water for the road. I was impressed because I did not ask for it. That's what I call service. Prior to checking in at the Renaissance, I came from a Sheraton. There is no comparison to the service I got from here at the Renaissance. Thank you.

• Stayed: May 2014

Thank you so much for your business and your great review.
We are striving to improve our service and I appreciate to hear when we exceed expectations.
We hope you have another trip to see us soon.