“Nice City Stay”

Ranked #47 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Vancouver, Washington
“Nice City Stay”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I arrived at this hotel on June 17th and stayed for one night. I am a corporate traveler and stay in a lot of hotels in the course of a year, with many trips to Seattle, WA.

The Good: Great location! Easy to get to from the train station and wonderful downtown location, with a lot of restaurants and stores nearby. The Renaissance Seattle Hotel was very nicely appointed, with comfortable bedding and accomodations. The rooms were a nice size and very clean. I wasn't able to take advantage of the bar, but I did walk past it and it looked nice. Elevators were timely and quite efficient, even going up to the 17th floor. Check-in was fairly quick and efficient and check-out was a breeze with my final bill slipped under my door prior to my departure from the room.

The Not-As-Great-As-I-Would-Like: I was slightly disappointed in check-in that I was put in a room with two double beds. I reserved a king room through our corporate site and this hotel is one of our very preferred accomodations in Seattle. When I arrived at 8:00 pm there were no king rooms available, even though that is what I reserved. I understand bed types aren't guaranteed and this is one of my pet peeves with the entire hotel industry. With all of the technology available today, hotels should be able to manage their inventory and actually assign a king room to a person that selects one when the make their reservation, so not to disappoint their guests. The hotel had a lot of scaffolding on the outside, due to renovation work, so it was difficult to catch a taxi, but I suspect that will be a short-term issue. The hotel is located on I-5 and I was in room 1713, which is on the freeway side. It was very noisy when I walked in the room, but I turned on my air conditioning unit and it was loud enough to drown out the freeway noise.

All in all, this is a nice hotel, in a good location and I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Request a room on the side away from I5.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Cindy,
thank you so much for your business and your nice comments.
I do appreciate your comments about the room and service.
While we do try to accommodate all requests, sometimes we are not able to do so. This can happen because people extend their stay, or just a higher demand for one room type or another.
One way to insure that you get your requested room type is to join our rewards program. We really make sure that our most frequent guests get their preferred room type.

The scaffolding on the east side has already been removed and the north side will come down early next month.

Again thank you and I hope you will be back to stay with us on your next trip to Seattle.

Rene Neidhart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 June 2014 via mobile

Location is basically in a walking distance to most of the sightseeings in Seattle. Staff are helpful in reception desk. If you have a upper level room, it is more likely for you to get a very nice view of the city. I haven't expected much for a short stay and all of my expectations were met.

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Dawn R
Thank you Dawn for your visit and your review.
We are in deed close to everything Seattle has to offer.
I am glad my Front Office crew took care of you. We try very hard to make every experience a great one.

Please come back.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Room size was good, nice bed and bedding. Staff was friendly and professional. Good hotel amenities.

One big issue; my wife and I went to the mariners game and she wanted to leave in the 6th inning. I figured I'd watch the rest of the game at the hotel. When I got to the hotel, and looked for the game on TV, I could not find it. When I called down to the front desk they informed me that they did not have to station the carried Mariners games. Very strange not to have the local TV stations. Also, the TVs were very old, and standard definition with very few channels.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Dear Dave,

Thank you so much for staying with us while you were attending the Mariners game.
I am sorry that you missed half of the game when you came back to the hotel.
We do of course have all the local stations that show the games and I am sorry if you were given the wrong information. In addition we do show the games in the lobby bar every night a game is on.
While some of the TV's are not the newest model I can assure you they are all in HD. This is a Marriott brand standard.

Dave again thank you for the opportunity to have you as our guest and I hope you will return to stay with us your next trip to Seattle.

Garden Grove, California
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I had my initial doubts after reading the reviews about this hotel. I am very particular about the hotels that I stay in. A decent hotel is part of a great vacation. I can't complain about the property being outdated one bit. Its a nice big hotel with about maybe 20 stories. Maybe we got an upgrade I am not sure. Our room was pretty modern and it meets my expectations. It was also spacious enough for my expectations. We got a room that was facing i guess the south side, directly facing another building. We can hear some noise from the freeway but it was not bothersome. Don't remember exactly what floor we were on but def one of the higher ones. Parking sucks. There is free parking on sunday right on the bridge next to the hotel if you can find a spot. On other days, i would recommend a parking lot a block or two across the bridge. I don't remember exactly but maybe it was around 10 dollars a day. Def beats the price of street parking and paying the hotel rate. I would def park in the private lots if you are trying to save a few bucks. Location is great. It is near everything! Maybe like a 5 min drive to Pike's market and maybe less than 10 min drive to the space needle. Location is hard to beat. I wouldn't hesitate to stay hear again. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear John,

Thank you so much for your business and your great review.
I am glad you liked our hotel and our service.
While parking is free on Sundays, indoor parking in Seattle is very expensive, and since most of the tourist locations are in walking distance it is properly cheaper to leave the car at the hotel and walk or take the monorail.

Again thank you and we look forward to have you back.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Nice place for a short visit. We stayed on a high floor and had an excellent view of the city. The hotel is situated a fair walk from the city center so we ate at Maxwells, on site and weren't impressed with food there. No chowder available as was shown on the menu and crab cakes with pineapple salsa came with no salsa, just lettuce leaves. Hotel very good apart from this.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Dianne,

Thank you so much fort opportunity to be your host during your visit to Seattle.
I am glad you had a great stay. At the same time I am disappointed that we did not have the calm chowder while you were here as well for the mishap with the crab cakes. I have reviewed your comments with my Kitchen team to insure we have all the menu items available.

I am sorry about this but I hope it will not deter you from coming back to stay with us on your next trip to Seattle.
Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States
Reviewed 15 June 2014

First time Seattle visitor and we found the Renaissance to be perfectly situated near the waterfront, Pike Market and the stadiums. Friendly, cheerful staff answered all our questions and went out of their way to give helpful tips and advice for getting around and things to do. Our room was spacious and comfortable. And, I loved the Aveda products in the bathroom! Would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lori,

Thank you so much for the opportunity to have you as our guest.
We appreciate your kind words about our staff and look forward to have back real soon.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Nothing great, nothing bad, So So But the Renaissance Hotel Brand once stood to be a top notch hotel brand. I have seen this Marriott Brand go down hill over the last 5 years and many of the locations including this one shows wear. Price is high for the value. Don't walk the area at night by yourself, Little sketchy.. Seattle has a tremendous amount of homeless folks panning the streets at all hours for money. This is not good for the local business folks trying to drive guest into downtown..

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank MyAstonMartin
Thank you much for staying with us and your review.
I am sorry you were not totally satisfied with your stay. Seattle like any major cities has its fair share of homeless people. We are working with the city on this problem. Our hotel is planning a major redo of our guest rooms this fall to update our image.

Again thank you for your comments and I hope you will be back on your next visit to Seattle.