“Seattle in July 2014” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #47 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
San Juan, Puerto Rico
“Seattle in July 2014”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I stayed with my husband in the Renaissance Seattle Hotel from July 24 until the 28 as part of my 40th birthday trip. The hotel is located in downtown and within walking distance of mayor stores, the Underground Tour and Pike Market. The hotel has 28 floors, our room was comfortable, bed is comfy and bathroom is on the small size.

Internet is free in the lobby and common areas, but not in the rooms. Parking is not free.

Jeff the concierge was able to get us a reservation at the Sky City Restaurant for 7:45pm, best time to see the sunset in Seattle. Big applause for Jeff.

We had a situation with the hot water of the tub, is fluctuates from hot to super hot in a second. We had to constantly adjust the shower faucet to get the water temperature just right. We notified The Manager, Mr. William of this situation (at checkout) and he was attentive, took note and really heard us. We really should have notified this during our stay, but we were having such a great time in Seattle that this seemed like a minor inconvenience.

The Renaissance is a nice and clean hotel. Cater more to the business side but overall a good location to enjoy Seattle.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Josely,

Thank you so much for the opportunity to have you us our guest.
I do appreciate your comments about Jeff from our Concierge team and William our Front desk supervisor.

It is our people that make the difference and I am glad to see they respond well to our guests.

Again thank you and I hope you will be back soon.

Rene Neidhart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Spokane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here recently for a conference. Got a good deal by using Priceline and rolling the dice. The location is good for downtown Seattle. It was a tad rugged experience, though. The rooms / beds are nice and the hotel (while a bit dated) is fine. The $42 / day parking caught me a bit off-guard, though. Downtown parking in Seattle is expensive at all of the hotels, so make sure to ask how much it is regardless of where you stay. I'm not sure if we caught the staff on an off day or two, but they just didn't seem to care about the guests all that much. Not a horrible experience or anything, just not top notch. It's expensive staying in downtown Seattle. If you can stay here for a deal you'll probably be pretty OK with it.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us and your comments.
Parking is expensive in Seattle and I can assure that we are sensitive to the situation and do not charge more than other full service hotels in the area.
I am very sorry if you felt the staff had an off day. We should never give that impression of course. I will take your comments and share them with my team to insure they understand the importance of being on all the time.

My apologies for not being on and I hope that you will give us another chance the next time you are coming back to Seattle.

Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I am a Marriott Platinum, and appreciate the fine hotels that the Renaissance brand offers around the country. Our recent stay at the Seattle Renaissance, however, was very disappointing. I won't say it is an awful hotel, and I recognize many others have and will in the future experience an enjoyable stay. To some degree it depends on what is important to you. Having said that, here is a list of issues we experienced during a recent 5-night stay.

- dangerous parking garage with tiny spaces and speeding valet. They also direct you to drive on the left side (as in England). I guess it better facilitates the parking (how, I'm not sure), but I was deathly scared of someone coming around the next curve who did not follow the arrows.

- very dirty floor in our room

- concierge lounge attendant questioned whether my wife belonged in the lounge because she entered when he had propped open the door. (She noted that he did not question any of the several men who also entered when the door was propped open).

- terrible turn-down service. While I don't particularly care whether a hotel provides turn-down service, this hotel's version was simply dropping off a bottle of water and a couple of chocolates. No effort to pick up dirty towels, empty the trash, or even turn down the bed.

- beware tax on parking. The overnight charge was $32, and the tax on that $32 was over $7. You can do the math. I inquired about it at the front desk and got a "that's what it is" response (with some attitude). If the $7 and change is made up of various state, local, etc. charges, then they should be listed out to help the consumer understand. 25% tax is unreal.

- No place to put towel for easy access after shower. It either had to go on the floor or on the toilet. Gross and gross.

- glasses in bathroom were not replaced after use. They just turned them back upside down (possibly after a quick rinse).

I can overlook most of these if that is the only issue, but given we encountered all of them in one stay, that is indicative of management issues. The hotel is in a good location, just a few blocks from Pike Place market and even closer to the ferry and light rail station. I provided constructive feedback to management, and hopefully they can get their act together and fix these items. On the positive side, the check-in process was excellent, we received a nice room upgrade, and the waiter and hostess at the 2nd floor restaurant were very helpful to my wife. The bell staff out front were also friendly and helpful.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the opportunity to have you stay with us during your vacation. I have shared your survey with the Operations team and we will use this as a training opportunity.
The reason that we, as most Seattle garages on a one way street, drive on the left side is to avoid having to cross path upon entry or exiting the garage. This is necessary if the traffic flow is to the left when exiting the garage.
We have also spoken with our Concierge team to ensure that no one else is treated as your wife was when trying to enter the lounge. We have not asked them to verify Elite membership. As you know, entry is based upon the honor system, each member can invite a guest to join them. I wanted to address the parking tax. The parking tax is 22%, yes, I hope that if you’re back in town, you’ll give us a chance to regaining your trust. 9.5 sales tax and 12.5% parking tax. The room tax is 15.6%.
My sincerest apologies for a less than perfect stay. I hope that if you’re back in town, you’ll give us a chance to regaining your trust.

Findlay, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

spent 5 nights at the renaissance hotel in Seattle - we wanted a hotel close to Seattle U and downtown and this filled the bill perfectly - didn't realize that Seattle was so hilly - if you want to stay in shape this is the city for you - the uphill climb from the waterfront is steep but doable all downtown attractions are walkable - in fact with downtown traffic and parking you are better off without a car - the only surprising thing was this hotel did not have a pool

Room Tip: get a high floor room
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
2 Thank golface55
Thank you so much for your business and your great review.

We are indeed the perfect location when visiting Seattle University. The city bus picks you right up in front of the hotel drops you off 7 minutes later at the University.

We hope you have another opportunity soon to come back and visit us.

Godfrey, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

I have stayed in two Renaissance hotels in the last month, they were both great. Front desk staff kind and helpful. Extremely easy check-in and check-out. Nice buffet breakfast in the morning at Maxwell's on the 2nd floor. Clean and quiet, no slamming doors all night long! I would book a room here, if you are departing for Alaska on a cruise the next day....great location close to the pier. Love it.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the opportunity to have you as our guest.
I do appreciate your nice comments about the hotel and service.
I do hope you enjoyed your cruise as much and look forward to have you back on your next trip to Seattle.

Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

The Renaissance is well situated to walk to many of the places of interest in Seatlle - the stadiums and old Seattle, the waterfront and Pike Market as well as the shopping areas downtown. A little stamina is required for the hike up Madison from the water, but gentler slopes are accessible heading from downtown. The room was a good size, nicely appointed and comfortable, with the superior bed comfort I favor. The bathroom was good too. The Concierge Lounge is adequate and average, if a bit on the busy side, which is becoming a common problem at many Marriotts, I find. Platinum breakfast on the weekend is the good breakfast buffet in the restaurant. Very nice. The staff were most welcoming, friendly and helpful - A+

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Hamish,

Thank you so much for staying with us and your nice comments.
I am glad you enjoyed our service and the club lounge. The walk up Madison is indeed very steep but coming up 6th avenue is definitely the easy way up.
We look forward to have you back.

Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Service was excellent and the rooms were very typical Renaissance styling.

Beware of road noise on lower floors facing the main road. I was on floor 14 face the interstate and I thought I was staying at a motel 6 with all of the traffic noise.

Bring white noise to help drown it out.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear Michael.

Thank you so much for your business and your nice comment about our hotel and staff.
We are very proud of our service and our operation and appreciate when we are able to provide great service.

We a continuously updating our hotel and hope you will be back soon.