“Really wonderful experience”

Ranked #47 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Really wonderful experience”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights on points. We are platinum elite members and received a very nice complimentary upgrade to a suite on a high floor. Overall our experience was superb. We loved the convenient downtown location and the staff was superbly trained and professional. Everything about our stay was first class: the clean and spacious room, the comfy bed and the service. We will come back next time we are in Seattle.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear JoAnn,

Thank you so much for staying with us and your great comments about the wonderful experience you had at our hotel.

We truly appreciate having you stay with us and look forward to have you back.

Rene Neidhart

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (531)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The Renaissance is a 28 story hotel in downtown Seattle right off I-5. I decided to give the hotel a very good rating; however, when I think of hotels I frequent, I always ask myself if I would stay there again on a return visit. With such a large selection of downtown hotels in Seattle, I cannot say for certain.

On the positive side, I found room service to be a pleasant experience as the food was good and the fellow who delivered it was very chatty and told me a little bit about the history of Seattle. This was helpful particularly since there was no literature in my room about Seattle. I also found the mini-crab cake sandwiches which I had in the lobby lounge to be excellent along with the server who was quite pleasant. Upon leaving the hotel, taxis were readily available for the trip back to the airport.

I would suggest the reception staff be more customer friendly. I arrived a bit early and when I inquired as to whether a room might be available I was told in no uncertain terms that check-in is at 4 pm. So with that, I wondered back to the front desk a little after 4 pm only to find a long line ahead of me, about 50 people who were attending a conference in the hotel. I guess they were all told to check in at 4 pm too. So I waited a good 15 minutes before getting to the reception desk and then another 5 minutes before they located my luggage which I had left with them. The room itself faced the west (away from the freeway), was comfortable but nothing special. I noticed the next morning that some rooms had newspapers by the door while others didn't. Mine didn't, thought this was a little cheap not to give one to every room. Maybe you had to request it. Reception never asked me; they seemed more focused on processing people through than asking what they could do to make your stay more enjoyable. Finally, I had a question about the location of a restaurant so I thought I would check with the concierge but when I got voicemail, I decided to just look it up on my cellphone instead.

So to wrap up, there are some nice aspects to the Renaissance but some areas for improvement. It's my view that there is nothing wrong with a four star hotel striving to provide five star service.

Dear Joe,

Thank you so much for the opportunity to have you stay with us and your comments.
I appreciate your positive comments about Room Service and the lobby bar.
I do understand your comments about the front desk staff and I will share them with my management team to insure we become more customer and less task focused.
I do hope that you will be answering your question in a positive way and look forward to have you back.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Great location. Came here in Nov 2013 for a girls weekend. We had a great time exploring Seattle and eating our way through the city. Hotel is within walking distance of everything you could need downtown (landmarks, sights, grocery, shopping, dining, etc) and easy access to the highway making it an easy cab ride to the airport. Checked out the bar the first night and enjoyed a drink/light dinner. Great service and yummy flatbread. Our room was standard Renaissance but perfect. Enjoyed a comfortable stay here. Highly recommend!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Michelle,

Thank you so much for spending the night with your girlfriends at our hotel.
I do appreciate your nice comments about our hotel and look forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My wife and I spent last night at the Renaissance Seattle using my Marriott Rewards points while treating ourselves to a night out and a Mariners game in Seattle for our anniversary. I travel frequently for work and am a Marriott Silver Elite member. The title of my review pretty much sums up our entire Renaissance experience.

I've stayed here several times for business and knew the quality of the hotel, but, I simply cannot say enough about the staff!!!

Management, listen up! Sarah Harvill from your front desk deserves a raise...a BIG one!!! She epitomizes excellence in guest service! Sarah took OUTSTANDING care of us and made our anniversary EXTRA special. We returned to our room following some fun along the Seattle waterfront and were both delighted and surprised to find a bottle of wine and Frans chocolates in our room along with a handwritten note from Sarah wishing us a happy anniversary. This kind thoughtful and extraordinary service is why I love the Seattle Renaissance and cannot speak highly enough of the hotel and the people that work here.

Our corner mini-suite overlooked the freeway, which wasn't noisy at all. The room was well appointed and exceptionally clean. I have an iPhone and always appreciate the hotels, like this one, that have the charger-clock/radio. My wife and I both agreed that this hotel has some of the most comfortable and plush beds and bedding of all the places we stay. The bathroom was modern and bright with quality products.

Every member of the Renaissance staff from the doorman to the random housekeeping personnel we'd see in the elevator warmly greeted us (not just false acknowledgement) and asked how we were enjoying our stay and whether there was anything we needed. This very simple gesture really makes feel you welcome and just adds to the overall enjoyment of the travel experience. I truly wish more of the hotels I stayed at would learn from the outstanding example of the Renaissance!

We had such a great time and fantastic experience that we'll surely be returning soon. Whether in Seattle for business or pleasure, you simply can't go wrong staying at the Renaissance Seattle. Thanks again, Sarah, and team Renaissance for making our wedding anniversary one to remember!

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us and your great review.
I will make sure that Sarah gets recognized for her gesture.
Please come back when you have the opportunity.

Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Found a really great rate on Amtrak to go from Portland to Seattle and decided to take my wife to Seattle for her birthday (she's had a really bad summer!). Decided to splurge and stay at the Renaissance. From the beginning everything got off on the wrong foot.

Arrived on Saturday and walked from the train station to the hotel (what a mistake - forgot how hilly Seattle was!). Got to the hotel hot and thirsty. Went to the desk marked "Mobile Check-in" since we tried this and was very rudley asked by the front desk if we had just cut in front of the line. When my wife said we had used Mobile check-in this was met with a grimace and then we were allowed to check-in.

Went to our room (great room with a view of the water) got settled and headed out for dinner. Next morning was greeted with a check out bill. Called front desk since we were scheduled to check out Tuesday. Was told by the operator it was our responsibility to come to the front desk and prove we had reservations until Tuesday. WHAT?? Wife went down to the front desk with her I-pad to prove our reservation (made on Marriott's website) was until Tuesday and tried to double check billing. Was told it would be correct.

Headed to breakfast at Maxwell's around 9 am. Line to get a table was arounf the elevator shaft (looked to be about 30 folsk in front of us). The guy in front of said he had been waiting about 15 minutes already. Peeked around the corner and there was about 15 empty tables set up for diners. Waited about 15 minutes no movement in the line so left and had a great breakfast at the Wharf. Sunday night a hotel worker knocked on the door once and with barely a second passing opened the door. Luckily we had the security lock on so he didn't get far.............. Maybe next time he could wait more than 2 seconds for someone to answer?

Monday evening I accidently left my cell phone in the conceriage lounge. Discover it missing Tuesday morning as we were packing. Went down to the front desk to ask if anyone had turned it in. Turns out some kind oul had! Waited about 25 minutes for them to find it. Turns out they had it packaged in a Fed Ex envelope to send to our home address. While very apprecaite they were going to fed ex it - if it was found Monday evening wehy not call our room and let us know?

And guess what - after wife checked on billing - you guessed it the billing was off..............

1 Thank BuzzyBelly
Dear Buzzy Belly,

Thank you so much for staying with us and your comments. I am so sorry you had a bad experience while staying with us. We certainly could have done so many things better and we will use your experience as a teaching tool for our staff to insure that this remains an isolated incident.
I will look in this a little bit more and contact you directly to review your stay with you.
I do hope that this incident will not prevent you from staying with us again when you come back to Seattle.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Stayed here for a weekend with my girlfriend and used points for the stay. Hotel was sold out for the Seafair weekend, including many active duty Marine Corps and Navy folks as guests. Check-in was smooth and Glenn upgraded us to an executive suite on the 27th floor with a great view of the city, Space Needle, and Puget Sound. Room was modern and clean, had a huge bathroom and was as large as an apartment. Lounge was closed during the weekend but we had breakfast vouchers for complementary buffet breakfast downstairs (normally $22 a head) and the bar on the 28th floor was open (cool place for a drink). Location great for walking to Pike Place, waterfront, and most other downtown attractions. Rest of city easy to access by Metro bus, Uber, or taxi. If you're flying into Seattle and staying here, don't bother with a car, as parking is $33/night. Overall an excellent experience and I will be back.

Room Tip: High floor room for the best view.
1 Thank Jetset83
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Thank you so much for choosing our hotel while visiting Seattle.
We do appreciate the opportunity to have you as our guest, and I am pleased to learn that Glenn upgraded you to our 27th floor executive suite.

We look forward to have you back.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Issue #1 - Before booking this hotel recently for 3 nights I read that the highway side of the hotel can be noisy. Accordingly when we checked in I was told that "this is no longer the case as corrective measures were recently taken to minimize the noise" Living in NYC I am used to noise ... but the highway noise was a constant din that made a peaceful nights sleep difficult.

Issue #2 - I was told when I checked in that given my Marriott Rewards status I would not be charged for bottled water in the room. When I returned home I reviewed my charge bill and noticed I WAS charged for bottled water. I called the hotel and was told that they would issue a credit, it is now 7 days and no credit.

Issue #3 - I booked 2 rooms, one for my wife and I and one for my friend and his wife. I used my Marriott Premier credit card (with my rewards number on it) and my friend used his non-Marriott credit card. Somehow, the girl who checked us in put MY rewards number on my friends account ... it wasn't until we returned home that I noticed this. Again I called the hotel to advise them of this and was told "it would be taken care of immediately". After waiting a few days, the problem was not corrected. It took a call to the Marriott Rewards Customer Service Center to get the points moved back to my account.

Besides staying at this Marriott, we also stayed at the Marriott Renaissance in Vacouver and a different Marriott in Seattle before returning home ... no problems with either of these locations. I only stay at Marriott hotels, this is the first problem I have ever had in over 35 years.

Room Tip: Stay away from highway side of the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Howard G
Dear Howard,

Thank you so much for your business.
I am so sorry you did not have a great stay with us. The windows on the highway side are being replaced but not all the windows are done yet. I am so sorry that this was not communicated properly.

If you contact me at Neidhart@renaissanceseattle.conm I will look into the extra billing. As an elite member you should indeed not be billed for the water in the room.

Again I do apologize for the inconvenience an I hop you will return to visit us when you come back to Seattle.