“Great place for a conference”

Renaissance Seattle Hotel
Ranked #48 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This hotel is located in downtown Seattle near I-5. Parking is a bit of a hassle and very expensive in their garage (about $40/day with tax), but since this is typical of large city centers, I will not hold this against them. It is an easy walk to Pike Place Market, a little further to the waterfront, but there is plenty of shopping and restaurants nearby. The hotel is on a large hill which gives it great views of the water but also means it’s quite a climb on steep sidewalks. The staff was very friendly and accommodating for our entire stay. The conference we attended was well organized and the food served by the hotel was excellent. We stayed in Room 2504 which has great water views but had two double beds which are almost impossible to sleep two in. The room is large enough for queen beds so hopefully they will upgrade them soon. Otherwise, the room was clean, quiet, comfortable and looked like it had been recently renovated. We appreciated the mini refrigerator and bottled water that was provided free of charge. We are platinum members and did use the Concierge lounge in the mornings for breakfast. The lounge is nice and the breakfast food was the standard with some yummy baked goods.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Mrs. Winenhaut,
Thank you so much for staying with us while attending your conference.

I do appreciate your comments about the services in the hotel and our staff.

We hope you have another opportunity to visit us soon.

There are newer reviews for Renaissance Seattle Hotel

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Located in the heart of downtown. 15 minute walk from Pike place. Very good breakfast in the morning, windows were facing a very busy freeway, but all we could hear was air-conditioner. Comfy mattress, everything is very clean and shiny. Internet was not included in the room price, but was free in the lobby. I guess the expectation is, that people who already pay hundreds of dollars a night can afford a 13$ extra on the top. Great service, very quick check in and out. It is definitely not for people on a tight budget. We got a good deal on our room, otherwise we would not be able to afford the base price.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pavel F
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Pavel,

Thank you so much for the opportunity to have you as our guest.
We do appreciate your feedback and love to have you come back.

Thank you and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

The location is amazing, just walk couple of minutes downhill and you will find yourself at the waterfront or in vicinity of other Seattle attractions. However, the slope is quite steep, but on the other hand a good workout. Rooms are little bit dark, but they are nice, spacious, nicely furnished, clean with comfortable bed and pillows; a very good standard in overall. Hotel staff is very nice and helpful. You can book plenty of amazing tours at the concierge. Staff is really nice and approachable. Breakfast is tasty, with choice of certain dietary products as well, which it don't usually find in hotels. Absolutely recommended!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear Mishii,

thank you so much for the opportunity to have you as our guest.
We do appreciate your comments about our location, service and food.
We are looking at a wholesome diet approach on our menus and will launch a new menu in the fall that will enhance the vegan/vegetarian offerings.
Hope to have you back soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I was here for a conference. The room was comfortable, though the cooling system is loud and the ventilation in the bathroom is poor. The mirror stays fogged for a long time after a shower. The public spaces are nice, though the furniture could use some updating.

The gem of my experience was the banquet dining. 400+ people were served efficiently buffet style. We had 5 meals plus happy hour and continental breakfasts. Every item in the buffet was wonderful. Few buffets excel at vegetables, and this one stood out. Roasted beets were delicious, green beans were crisp and tasty, small whole carrots and baby zucchini were a treat. The salads were interesting and fresh. And that is just the start. Every item, from meats to seafood, was delicious. Soups were delectable. Desserts were fabulous.

Staff in all areas of the hotel were friendly, helpful and very competent. The banquet staff were cheerful and welcoming.

The hotel is a convenient (though steep) walk to all of downtown.

Room Tip: Try to get on the west side, away from the highway noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Rene N, General Manager at Renaissance Seattle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you so much for attending a conference in our hotel.
We are pleased to receive the great comments about out banquet food and will share them with the kitchen staff.

We look forward to have your group back in few years, but in the meantime please visit us when you are coming back to Seattle.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I stayed here with my 7yo son. We arrived and left via limo, so I can't comment on parking. The hotel is great. The employees made check in a snap. Using Marriott's mobile check in via my iPhone I didn't even need to present my credit card.

The lobby is very comfort and the free fresh fruit was a welcome snack upon check-in. The breakfast on the second floor was a decent breakfast buffet. The lounge at the top of the hotel was nice. The server was very nice. The view was great, with views of the Space Needle as well as the water front.

Our room (2520) was clean and everything that you'd want in a room. We ordered room service. The macaroni and cheese was dry, and left me with regret, however their fish and chips were pretty good.

The hotel is an easy walk, cab ride, or bus trip, away from everything downtown.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you very much for the opportunity to have you and your family as our guests.
I am sorry to learn that the macaroni and cheese was dry. In general we get great reviews about room service.
I am happy to learn that the service you received was great and your general comments about our staff are testimony to our efforts to provide great service.

Again thank you and please come back real soon.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Unfortunately, as others have commented, this hotel isn’t up to the usual standards of the brand. The hotel is very much in need of a renovation of its physical plant, and I can be very sympathetic to items like that as long as they are working on it (although I do think they waited far too long to undertake a renovation). However, the hotel also falls far short on its customer service.

I am a gold member in the Marriott Rewards program and when I tried to check in at 2:00pm, I was told by the woman at reception that check-in time was 4:00pm and to come back then. I noted that I would take the first available room and also asked if I could leave my cell phone number so they could reach me when a room was ready. She reiterated that check-in was at 4:00pm. Once I checked in (at 4:00pm) the desk clerk was very nice and offered to have a manager call me. Unfortunately the manager never called. It is not the level of service one usually gets from Marriott, particularly as a frequent guest.

The rooms, as noted, are in need of renovation, but they are clean and the linens are nice. The mattresses in particular are long overdue for an upgrade as one can feel springs when one sits on the bed. The rooms have refrigerators instead of minibars and that is a welcome convenience.

The buffet breakfast in the hotel is ok, but a bit less than one would expect from a nice hotel. The pastries set out were horrible—like a box of pastries one might buy at Costco. Kudos, however, to the chef making the omelets; he is the first such chef that I have seen genuinely engaged with guests asking about their stay and their travel plans while he prepares their eggs. It would have been nice if more employees elsewhere in the hotel had shown his level of interest and concern. The poor servers at breakfast were running around, terribly short-handed and literally sweating from their efforts. Again, I view this as a management issue. I worked in the restaurant industry for years and there should have been a manager jumping in to help out.

I was at the hotel for a business meeting and I have to say that the hot lunch was very good—terribly unhealthy, but very tasty. There was some problems with the IT initially but they fixed it quickly.

To end on a high note, the fitness center is newly redone and there are a large number of cardio machines—treadmills, elliptical machines, and stationary bikes, all in good shape and of high quality. There are televisions at each machine as well as complementary headphones and all seemed to be functioning fine. It is a bit dark and dreary (I think they are going for hip) but I could not have asked for a better functioning facility.

The hotel’s location is fairly convenient. It is easy to take the train from the airport to the hotel. It stops just a couple of blocks from the hotel and is very clean, pleasant and inexpensive. It is also a short walk to Pikes Place market-- warning though, both the trip from the train and the market to the hotel require a steep uphill climb. I am a pretty serious runner and smiled when I read the other review noting the climb, but it is worth remarking on. (Get the freshly made donuts at the market and then walk up hill to burn them off.)

There is a large drugstore around the corner that also carries a wide selection of snack items. Most restaurants and fast food places are a bit of a walk, and be warned, because the hotel is in the business district, many are closed on the weekends or close early.

1  Thank runkate

Thank you so much for your business and your review.
I do appreciate your nice comments about the service and cleanliness as well as the food service. You have given our staff great positive feedback.

We do recognize that a renovation is due and we will start a major redo this fall. In the meantime as you noticed we spend considerable amount of time and money in the redo of our health club and meeting facilities.

I do apologize for any inconvenience we may have caused you, and I hope that you will visit us again , perhaps for the breakfast service or health club, on your next trip to Seattle.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

This hotel is very conveniently located just a few minutes walking from everything you could possibly need. My wife and I stayed last night and the staff was very informative about the area. Good job staff! I hate when you ask about something that has been right around the corner for the last 20 years and the staff look at you like a deer in headlights. Duh...Huunnnnh? The staff here were awesome, the property very nice, the convenience factor for drinks and dinner, perfect. Thank you again for your hospitality from both of us.

Room Tip: If your not sure where to go for the evening out, do not hesitate to ask the staff, they are wonderf...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for staying with us while in Seattle and your great review.
I will share your great comments with our staff and we look forward to have you back when you return to Seattle for another visit.