“Great Location, Nice Hotel, but don't "Make a Green Choice"”

Sheraton Seattle Hotel
Ranked #34 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great Location, Nice Hotel, but don't "Make a Green Choice"”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

The Sheraton is in the heart of downtown Seattle across the street from the convention center. The rooms are nicely furnished, and I've always liked the Sheraton beds. I especially appreciated a large desk with room to spread out and get some work done. I ate in the restaurant and it was good, but a bit over-priced, but this is as expected. I found some very nice food choices nearby.

My only problem is that when I checked in, I was asked if I'd like to take advantage of the "Make a Green Choice" and limit my housekeeping to one or two times for a week stay. I'm a sucker for anything that sounds like it will help the environment, and they offered a $5 meal coupon for every day without housekeeping so I said yes. I now think that the only thing green about this is the money the hotel saves on housekeeper wages. And while I'm not terribly messy, I hated not having my bed made, trash emptied and dirty towels replaced. I won't make this mistake again.

3 Thank flash54

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (844)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

I travel a lot and the #1 thing I look for in a hotel is a good sleep - and frequently that means a comfortable bed. This trip was 14 days and I spent the first ten at the Marriott Del Mar in California. I went from there directly to the Seattle Sheraton. The bed at the Marriott in Del Mar, Calif was "a good, good sleep." The bed at the Sheraton was below average. It wasn't nearly as comfortable. Neither were the pillows. I don't profess to be an expert at mattresses or bedding materials, but I am an expert at sleeping in hotel beds (+/- 15 days/month). I did not sleep well any of the 4 nights I stayed at the Sheraton. I just couldn't get comfortable.

Otherwise, the Sheraton paid a lot of attention to many details. I was on the 18th floor on the north tower. Roomy bathroom - (oddly, no separate bath towel for the cold tiled bathroom floor - had to use a hand towel). Very good soaps, liquid bath soaps, shampoo and conditioner. The body lotion - average.

There was a closet safe, a mini-refrigerator stocked with alcohol, (but room for little else) and a "Mr. Coffee" coffeemaker with two coffee packets (+1 decaf) and 4 real small coffee creamers (not powdered creamer) AND 2 free bottles of Dasani water large enough for making two cups of coffee.

I had no issues with my room keys de-magnetizing. There are free USA Today and WSJs (+an occasional "China Today) at the front desk. The desk staff was extremely accommodating.

The Hotel is at 6th and Union (to the south) and Pike Street (to the north). If you walk 6 blocks down Pike St, you'll find the famous Pike Street Market where they toss some very large fish from in to outside the fish counter.

There are too many fine restaurants around the Sheraton to mention, so I won't even try.

From Sea-Tac Airport to the Sheraton, you can take the light-rail for just $2. (Take rail from the airport to the last stop - Westlake exit. Exit to 4th&Pine. Turn onto 6th.) or pay +\- $50 cab fare. (I left for the airport at 3:30 am for a 6am flight departure. I took a cab and there was a line-up, even at that early hour. I was at Sea-tac at 4am. Delta Lounge opens @ 5 am on S terminal - but a Seattle's Best opens at 4:30 am. The airport is open 24/7).

My advice: good location. Good hotel. I'll stay there again - and I'll eat more oysters whilst there!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Thomz12345
New Providence, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 June 2014

It is only about 0.3 miles to Pike place market, about mile to Space Needle and close to convention center. There are many nice restaurants around also. This hotel is very clean and quiet. My husband and I both get a nice rest.

1 Thank tanje1
bronwyn g, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Seattle Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thanks for commenting on our Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds. They are designed to give our guests a great night's sleep which is so important when travelling. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. Thanks!
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Efficient check in staff. Rooms easy to find and it was clean and comfortable.

Concierge ladies were brilliant. Friendly and helpful.

Breakfast was less than inspiring. Service was slow and the waitress not very friendly helpful or efficient. I asked for cutlery and after a ten minute wait I went and fetched my own.
Tea was not the best. Not as bad as Lipton but just not great, a limited selection and the water not really hot hot enough.

The buffet lacked cold meats and cheeses. There was not much evidence of dishes being replenished and people were asking after items continuously.

The toasters didn't work and when they did were painfully slow. If you had both running simultaneously the power tripped leaving neither working again.

I didn't feel it was good value.

Next visit I'll bring my own teabags and stick to continental as bacon is just weird in America. Thin and chewy and leathery. Where do the decent cuts go?

Next visit I'll skip breakfast in the hotel and venture out I think!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Helly J
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 June 2014

This property is centrally located near the convention center, Pike Place market and all the shopping downtown.

We stayed for one night on business, nothing to write home about the hotel. The room was warm and even though we set it to 60 all night with the fan at high, the room did not cool down anywhere close to even a comfy 66-68.

Beds are comfortable, just what you expect from a Sheraton.

Booking was interesting. We called three times, the first two reps told us that they were sold out and the third one got us a room instantly. Perhaps just a lucky break..an immediate cancellation...just thought it was interesting as the calls were all within a half hour of each other.

1 Thank PrashantSrivastava76
Loganville, Georgia
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The bed was very comfortable, and the mattress was not too soft. I was disappointed because the gym and swimming pool were closed for renovation. The gym and pool are on the top floor (35) with a commanding view of Seattle. I chose this hotel over the Hyatt for that reason.

Room internet will cost you $10.95 per day, but there is a free Wi-Fi zone in the lobby; however, I was unable to connect to VPN.

Valet parking will cost $36 per night, but overnight parking in the nearest parking garage will cost at least $30 over night. Parking is a hard to find in Seattle. If you stay in this hotel you can walk to the Market, aquarium, and other attractions at the water front. The next time I fly to Seattle, I will take the train from the airport. I paid as much for parking each day as I did for the rental.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Seattle Hotel for your recent visit. We are so delighted to hear that you explored the city and found our location to be a nice hub to all that Seattle has to offer. Thank you for your comments regarding our relaxing and comfortable Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds.
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I liked this hotel. As others have said the location is good for exploring downtown. Our room was fairly modern, spacious & the bed was very comfortable. Although internet access is free in the lobby (which is nicely furnished) there is an extra fee for internet access in the room. Personally I think internet access should be included in the room rate. If I visit Seattle again I will choose a different hotel that doesn't charge for in room internet access.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple