“Pretty good - not quite perfect”
Review of Hotel Andra

Hotel Andra
Ranked #11 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 7 August 2014

I stay at the Andra regularly when I visit Seattle, and I find it a good hotel. It's always welcoming and the rooms are comfortable and well designed.

The location is great - easily walkable to the Space Needle and the Market and other places you may wish to go.

It's not perfect, though. I stay on business, and the cost of breakfast in the restaurant at the hotel is too high for me to eat there every day on my expense allowance. The food is great, but it'd be nice if there were another option for breakfast.

The fitness centre is larger than it was last time I reviewed this place, but it's still very small. I can keep myself active there for a week, but I can't do a full workout. There is an arrangement with a local gym, but that costs extra and doesn't have the convenience of being in the same building.

I've once had a housekeeping issue too. I found an empty wine bottle next to the bed in the room when checked in. The hotel offered me a bottle of wine as an apology. I pointed out that I don't drink alcohol, but appreciated the gesture. Would've been nice to have been offered something else instead. But I'm mentioning small things here.

All in all, a great hotel, and I look forward to staying here more in the future.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Team-Umlaut, General Manager at Hotel Andra, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

It is always a pleasure to welcome you back DanMcN! Thank you for continuing to make our home your" home away from home" when business brings you too Seattle! It is only through your feedback and personal emails that we can see our areas of strength and those area that may need more direct attention! Our goal remains the same and that is to make each of your stays more relaxing and enjoyable than the previous!

I promise that my team and I will continue to work on getting it "perfect" for you, Until the next time we have the honor of you being our guest, I wish you safe travels. We remain at your service!

Yours Truly,
Lars

Write a ReviewReviews (2,112)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I had been scoping out the Hotel Andra for quite some time - other trips to Seattle never materialized, so when this trip was a go.... I jumped on the chance at booking at this hotel. The Belltown location is fairly central and within roughly a 15-20 minutes walk of Space Needle, Pike Place Market, the PIer and even closer to downtown. Perfect for our purposes!

Having renowned Seattle Chef Tom Douglas' Lola on the first floor, Dahlia Bakery & Dahlia Lounge + Serious Pie literally across the street from the property, plus many others a short walk away was another selling point for this hotel. Gourmand, Foodie, Epicurean whatever you call yourself... if you enjoy good cuisine then this hotel is in a prime location to check out some of Seattle's best dining options.

Tip: Serious Pie is seriously good and seriously busy... always a line when we were tripping by, so you may wish to take advantage of another benefit Hotel Andra offers: Room Service delivery and order up a pizza or two Serious Pie! Luckily I managed to sneak into the resto just after the first wave of lunch on a Tuesday - it was a casual, small space with mostly communal table seating - the brick oven really does heat the place up... the pizza is pretty much perfect!!!!

There was little for us to complain about - though the stay had a minor hiccup... we had booked the Northern Neighbour Package + requested a chocolate fruit arrangement as well. Though we received the appropriate package rate for the stay, neither the fruit or Macy's shopping pass was ever provided. Honestly, it was a bit of a whirlwind romantic getaway, so I was a little distracted and forgot about the fruit completely... but I had asked the front desk once about the shopping pass and was assured it was likely in my room card sleeve. I was supposed to check for it when I got back into the room, but was distracted again ;-)

Yes, sure.... someone once said you are always going to get 100% of the things you don't ask for... so maybe I am partly at fault for not remembering to push the hotel for those two items - but then again, I also believe an outstanding hotel wouldn't have to be reminded to provide everything as requested... for this reason alone, I only rated Hotel Andra a 4 and without the hiccup they would've easily been a 5!

The front desk did end up taking the fruit off the final bill AND even offered the Macy's pass during check-out, but I wasn't going to be in Seattle long enough that day to head out for any more shopping. So.... make sure you are getting everything you requested or are paying for... as the staff may miss something... just try not to be too distracted by the company you keep during your stay or all that beautiful Seattle has to offer.

P.S.... if you are looking for a great casual place for seafood - take a 15 minute walk from the hotel down to the pier and visit The Crab Pot!! It was seriously worth the 45 minute wait for a table for 2 and we indulged in the Alaskan Feast!!!

Room Tip: We chose the Lux Suite, which had free wifi, not sure if the other rooms did... Lux Suites are all 5...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MX_Regular_Vactioner

Wow MX_Regular_Vactioner, I think I'd like to hire you for marketing! That was truly an amazing and I must say "right on the spot" review of our local and nearby restaurants! I'm thrilled to read your review! The only thing I could ad on is that "exclusively" our guest can have Serious Pie Pizza delivered and charged to your guest room! No more waiting in line for our guest, hot pizza pie delivered right to your guest room door! Just one of the many perks while staying at Hotel Ändra!

Thank you for being our guest and sharing your personal reflection. Please accept my sincere apology for not having all of the components to your package and special delivery available during your visit. We have shared your review and comments with our service team so that you and future guest do not encounter the same concern! We look forward to welcoming you back to our home and showing you that we can do it right!

Please feel free to contact me directly when you are planning your next weekend getaway to Seattle! I will be glad to personally oversee the details of your reservation and see to it that everything is exceptional during your stay!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I are Seattle-area residents who recently relocated to the UK. We lucked into Hotel Andra when staying over to meet friends for dinner on a recent weekend. I say "lucked into" because, unbeknownst to us, it was Seafair weekend and nearly every hotel in the city was booked solid. I initially browsed various booking websites which showed a poverty of availability and so dialed Andra directly. Not only was Anthony friendly and helpful, but he found us a room that was less expensive than any listed on the booking sites (or even the Hotel Andra site). I was a bit concerned about noise given that Hotel Andra is located directly adjacent to Lola, though reviews noted nothing of this as a problem (only raves about customer service). Our room on the 7th floor was extremely quiet, comfortable and well-appointed. The lobby area is also lovely though perhaps a bit small (a non-issue unless you plan on spending much time there). Andra recently opened their own lounge on the second floor, which is a nice touch.

It is the customer service that sets Hotel Andra apart from any other place we have stayed in Seattle. In addition to the experience with Anthony when I booked, literally every other interaction with a staff member was simply lovely. The valets were eager and helpful, immediately attending to us and even volunteering the best locations to view the Seafair Torchlight parade. Bryan at the front desk was knowledgeable and slyly humorous. Brandon (valet) was sweet, funny and helpful, and genuinely greeted us every time he laid eyes on us.

The day after our stay I received an email from Lars Pederson, the GM of Hotel Andra, inquiring as to our experience. I responded with the above information and received a reply of appreciation and an assurance that he would be sharing the information with his staff, as well as a request that we notify him of the next time that we are in town so that they may accommodate us once again.

Hotel Andra knows how to do it right. Stay here.

Room Tip: Upper floors may be quieter due to location next to Lola.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharlene B

We are thrilled Sharlene B to receive your praise! It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we couldn't be more grateful for the kind words. Anthony and the team were smiling ear to ear when I shared your review! From the moment you walk through our doors, until the time we say goodbye, our goal is to make you feel right at home! It is such a compliment to see that we have accomplished this for you! Thank you again for being our guest and allowing us the opportunity to be part of your Seattle experience!

We hope that you will be back again soon! Let us know how we can be of service to you!

Regards,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I have to agree with all the other excellent reviews. I'm not too easy to please, and I was expected to be disappointed as I'm not fond of Scandinavian design... however, this place is easy to love. Excellent location, great front desk staff, nice efficient rooms (though we had several suites for a family reunion), and I know this sounds silly, but the nice touch of having perfectly sized bags of ice at the elevators that you could simply take to your rooms on the way there and place in the ice keepers was really nice. No trudging out at midnight in your skivvies to find an ice machine on another floor!
Plus they recommended a car service run by David (didn't catch his last name) who was invaluable during our stay- was very fair, friendly, on-time and reliable.
Hotel is 2 blocks from fun monorail to Space Needle
Would definitely recommend this place. Several good restaurants nearby (including Nola) and Ralph's grocery a 1/2 block away is nice too.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Team-Umlaut, General Manager at Hotel Andra, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Hello ILOVURUP - Thank you for being our guest and posting your lovely review! The Scandinavian elements are a tribute to the city’s Nordic heritage, while the use of prominent Pacific Northwest elements – water, wood and stone – is present throughout the hotel. Our goal is to make each guest feel welcomed upon arrival and to provide an atmosphere were you can relax and enjoy your visit. We are happy to read that you love our home!

Our ice presentation is one of a kind in downtown Seattle and truly a welcomed feature! The perfectly sized bags of ice you are referring too make it easy and convenient, not to mention very "quiet", to attain as you are stepping off the elevator on your way back to your room. We find it's also easier for our service team to expedite delivery if a guest chooses to have ice delivered. Either way, it's fast and convenient! We are glad to hear that this feature helped make your stay more enjoyable!

We are at your service and look forward to assisting you with your next reservation here at Hotel Ändra. We welcome the opportunity to have you come back and enjoy another visit at our home! Meantime, we will keep the icechests full and ready for your future stays!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We had never been to Seattle, and this hotel will have us coming back! Great location - close to Pike's Market, shopping, restaurants literally on either side and across the street (don't miss Dalhia's for breakfast!) - we even walked to the Space Needle. The hotel is very modern and clean, with a "Scandinavian-type" feel. Beds, pillows, couch, everything was extremely comfortable. We were a little concerned because our room was next to the elevator shaft, but it was very quiet. And the staff! SO friendly and accommodating. Anthony at the front desk called multiple restaurants for us to secure a dinner reservation. Look no further for a hotel in Seattle - you've found a winner in Hotel Andra.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Team-Umlaut, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Andra, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Lisa W,

Wow! I was smiling when I read the title to your review and I kept reading and my smile continued to get bigger. Thank you for your kind comments and we will make sure to pass along your accolades to Anthony. How wonderful that we were able to contribute to a wonderful first trip to Seattle and we are looking forward to many more to come.

See you soon!

Madison

Reviewed 5 August 2014

The rooms are large, clean and very much in the category of a trendy boutique hotel. I had no complaints about the room, even if the bathroom is a little quirky because of how trendy and modern they made it or because the rooms have walk-in closets large enough for a person to make into another room if they desired. The best part of this place is the neighborhood with absolutely incredible restaurants and shopping, and it's location only a few blocks from the Pike Place Market. This hotel is definitely nice and worth the price for the convenience they provide.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Wileyc0y0te,

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. We are delighted to hear that everything from our beautifully appointed rooms to our central location was able to exceed your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Best wishes,

Madison

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

It's not just this hotel, which I liked, but so many. When I get to the room it is horribly cold because air conditioning has been pumping for hours. It is bad for the environment and bad for me as a guest. In July in Seattle it was glorious to sleep with the windows open. If guests want air conditioning, they can turn it on just as easily as I can turn it off. And if there are the kind of guests who would complain if their room is not already cold, well, I think annoying them on behalf of reducing climate change is fine.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you glasshalffull123 for being our guest and taking the time to write a review. We appreciate your comments regarding the air cooling system. Our goal is to make each guests stay relaxing and enjoyable. We do take into consideration our guests comments and suggestions when reviewing our procedures. During our summer season in Seattle, our guest room individual heating and cooling systems are pre-set for an optimal temperature that is meant to be welcoming. The systems do not run continuously, only when the room temperature falls or rises out of the pre-set range.

We understand your concern and would be glad to accommodate your request and completely turn off your heating and cooling system prior to your arrival. Simply notify our friendly service team of your request at the time you make your next reservation and will add that comment to your reservation profile. We will honor that request for all future stays!

I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and liked our hotel. Thank you again for being our guest and providing me your valuable comments!