“Many hassles for high price--did not honor original confirmed reservation.”

The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #39 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Seattle, Washington
“Many hassles for high price--did not honor original confirmed reservation.”
Reviewed 29 May 2011

This hotel was one of the first on the list to come up on my Orbitz search. It sounded enchanting--'The only waterfront hotel in Seattle'--which is apparently true. I found all of the staff to be very friendly and welcoming, and the hotel has a charming 'northwestern rustic' atmosphere, decor, and room furnishings. Here's where things fell apart: I received e-mailed confirmation, yes confirmation, of my reservation for initially two rooms--one standard waterfront room and one 'city family suite'. Both were expensive by my standards (and budget) at the upper two hundred dollar per night level. I was entertaining three friends, plus myself, and decided that the suite alone would offer sufficient sleeping space, since it has two double beds, plus a queen-sized sofa bed. I then cancelled the smaller 'waterfront' room by phone and received e-mail confirmation. I will say that all of my e-mail confirmations were prompt and inviting. I will also say that the staff were generally friendly and did their best under circumstances that were sometimes beyond their control. This was especially true of the night front desk and front door staff, who made every effort to be gracious and as accommodating as the situation allowed. However, when we arrived shortly after midnight the first night, we were told, in a perfunctory manner, that our suite was no longer available (no explanation, except to say that our nightly rate was reduced by $100) and were summarily, the FOUR of us (and NONE of us four men normally sleep together), put into a room with only TWO double beds. They then provided a TWIN-sized rollaway bed, which was quite bulky and REALLY crowded this significantly smaller room than had been confirmed originally. Again, this was in the middle of the night when were tired from traveling, and caused considerable consternation and stress among the four of us. I finally went back to the front desk (a LONG walk BTW), and asked if they had any additional rooms. The night clerk said they had one left, a small room with one queen bed, which I slept in for the night. The next day, I spoke with the first of two managers on duty. She herself admitted not knowing why were denied our original suite and seemed truly dumfounded that this had happened at all. Then she agreed to not charge us 'anything' for the first night. This was later retracted by the both managers, who then charged us for the double-bed room. The next afternoon, we were finally moved into the suite, which met our sleeping requirements, and were quoted a set discounted price for all four nights. However, when I received my final bill, the price was changed, upwardly and significantly, night-by-night. The clerk on duty seemed confused by the complexities of the bill, and the second manager from the day before, was on the phone. According to my calculations, we were overcharged by approximately $ 105.00, including a movie charge that the very friendly but somewhat confused clerk did research and told me was an error. The movie charge was taken off (thank you), but rather than continue to haggle, for the 4th or 5th time with one of the managers, I decided to try to work things out, via e-mail, with Mr. David Cocks, the General Manager. While this hotel certainly offers terrific harbor views, from both its lobby and its restaurant and bar areas (and also has rooms that face the water, which we didn't have), I must say, with sincere regret, that the booking and billing hassles that I experienced definitely do NOT justify the high prices, nor the waterfront location. Though uniquely positioned on the harbor, there are also several other hotels just one street from the waterfront as well, and the harborfront, several miles of it, is easily accessible on foot from any of them. I had also hoped to bring professional associations here from conferences. I am with Mensa and several healthcare professional organizations. NO WAY!!!-----my medical colleagues and fellow Mensa 'geniuses' would have my HEAD!

Room Tip: Book well ahead for best options.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank DrSc0tt
DaveCocks, General Manager at The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2011
Dr. Scott did indeed contact me and I am most appreciative that he did. We were able to review the situation together and indeed make the appropriate “amends”. We look forward to his return.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,458)
Kailua-Kona
Reviewed 28 May 2011

It was a short trip but we did a lot- walked all around Pike's,the waterfront and up to the spaceneedle. I would have liked to try the restaurant the food sounded fantastic and again what a view. Next time!
We had a small problem with the fireplace, but the engineer came right away to fix it and we enjoyed sitting by the fire and seeing the space needle.
I also enjoyed the Teddy Bear and we apprecaited the earplugs- we both had a great restful sleep.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you………….and we hope you can return in the very near future.
Cloverdale, Oregon
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Beautiful location, friendly staff, good food, great view, fireplaces,large bathrooms just fantastic. Have stayed here several times before. Have never had a problem

Room Tip: Stay on the water side if possible.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
We think your review title says it all. Aaaaahhhhhhhhh.. And Thank You! Come back soon!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I was really looking forward to my stay at The Edgewater and ended up being extremely disappointed. I booked a supposed Waterfront "Premium" room (room 340) which was described on their website as having views of water and mountains. I got barely any view of the mountain and instead had a view of a loading dock and water. Why pay premium for a view of a loading dock? I don't even know if I was really even given a "premium" room because it certainly did not feel like it was premium from the views I had. I felt deceived. Also, I had no idea the hotel had no in room AC until I checked in. I thought the AC was broken and when I called the front desk they informed me that their rooms have no AC (only in the lobbies). They advised me to open the window and run the ventilation fan for air. (There's a thermostat control on the wall that tricks you into thinking there is in room AC but it is only for controlling the ventilation fan). I've never stayed at a hotel with no AC. It was warm, humid and stuffy in the room. The fan didn't even work and I had to wait over a half hour for someone to come fix it. The room was very musty with the combination of high humidity and no AC. Contrary to comments about water side view rooms being quieter, I was still able to hear the train horn blasting in the middle of the night. The fuzzy bear ottoman that they like to refer to on their website, was gross and filthy looking (I did not want to touch it). The hallway was also disgusting. Stained carpet, musty smell, and dimly lit. I'm shocked that this is considered one of the higher end hotels in Seattle. There was no way I was going to be able to enjoy my vacation at this hotel so I checked out after just 1 night (I was originally booked for 7 nights). Got a much better waterfront view from another nearby hotel that was more modern, clean and for a better price. My only positive experience at The Edgewater was with the restaurant (food was good).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
DaveCocks, General Manager at The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this review, 27 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and experience. I am sorry to learn of your disappointment and encourage you to contact me personally so we can discuss further.
I am sorry to learn of your disappointment in the actual room you had. We do have a wide variety of rooms in this 50 year old iconic hotel and apologize what you received was not to your expectation.
We have investigated the musty smell comment and still are unsure of the source. Again, I would appreciate a call from you to verify the room number.
Until we can talk, please accept my apologies for your disappointment in your stay.
San Jose, California
Reviewed 25 May 2011

As a frequent business traveler, I value service in a hotel a top priority. The staff at the Edgewater really make this hotel stand out & above most any other I've stayed at. From the time you're warmly greeted and checked in quickly, the staff does their best to make you feel "at home" and cared for. The wait staff in the bar and restaurant go out of their way to serve you well, and the food & beverages are excellent. If you have any transportation needs, Rick at the front door will arrange anything you want.

The hotel isn't new, but it's still very nice and tastefully decorated. The rooms I've stayed in since have been very spacious and nicely furnished. Everything is always clean - another important item for me.

All in all I highly recommend the Edgewater when in Seatlle, and intend to bring my wife here for a long weekend getaway.

Room Tip: Just ask! The staff will do their best.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
We certainly appreciate these comments and thank you for taking the time to post this review. We hope to see you back very soon!
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 May 2011

This hotel is my favorite in Seattle. Wonderfully located on a pier (the only hotel in Seattle built on a pier) - amazing views, cozy rooms and friendly, helpful staff - who could ask for anything more? Meals in the Six Seven restaurant were delicious accompanied by amazing waterfront views. Staff members were friendly and eager to please. Well-located for a brisk walk (if you choose) to Pike Place Market and surrounding local restaurants and shopping. Lots of fun to watch boating from your room's window. Surprisingly quiet allowing a great night's sleep. Highly recommend.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank gosusiego
And we are very proud of our Six Seven restaurant. We take great pride in that it is NOT your typical hotel restaurant at all and actually a local’s favorite.
Thank you for giving our staff the high marks as you did. They are a great group of people that love what they do.
Hope you are able to return in the very near future!
Auburn, Washington
Reviewed 25 May 2011

cozy waterfront hotel in the heart of Seattle. Views of Elliott Bay are spectacular at night and the decor in the hotel is awesome. Rooms are very classy with bath suites that open to the master bedroom. Hotel will taxi you anywhere downtown.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple