“Nice location by the water”

The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #39 of 104 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 5 June 2011

We've stayed there a few times and would do so again.

Some rooms face towards the city and the railroad tracks are very nearby with freight trains moving through at times all night long. The hotel does supply earplugs in those rooms. We prefer the waterfront rooms which have nice views over the water to the dock area with large cranes for large ships.  Ferries go by too.

Desk staff is friendly. The resturAnt has a very nice view and a good happy hour. Breakfasts also fine although some wait staff left quite a bit to be desired.

The rooms have gas fireplaces but we've noticed they can have problems lighting and we have had to get a maintenance man up repeatedly to crawl around on the floor to light them.

• Stayed: March 2011
DaveCocks, General Manager at The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

Reviewed 4 June 2011

After reviewing several downtown Seattle hotels, my friend and I settled on the Edgewater. The idea of being on the water was very alluring, and the location looked (at least on the Google map) to be within easy reach of the primary downtown attractions. That is what we wanted – the main goal with this trip was a good overview of the city of Seattle. The outlying areas are on the next trip’s list. The Edgewater looked like a good base camp for that.

Due to a late flight arrival, we didn’t get to the hotel until about 11:30 p.m. Despite the hour, both the valet parking and front desk personnel were cordial and efficient. We were checked in quickly, which was great after a long day of travel.

We were situated on the first floor in room 108, and I was adamant about being on the water side of the hotel after reading the issues others have had with the railroad noise on the city side. I obviously can’t speak for the city side rooms, but I can tell you that we did not have any noise problems in our room despite being on the "railroad end" of the building. The room’s heating/air conditioning system was slightly noisy, but to me that was welcome. I need some background white noise to get to sleep.

The other unexpected benefit of that room was having a cruise ship docking area directly outside the window (see photo). Kind of a funny thing when we opened the curtains the first morning there – what a surprise to have an ocean liner right outside. We were there 3 full days, and each day the ship would depart at 4 p.m., only to be quietly replaced by another cruise ship overnight. A cool side show.

The hotel restaurant (The Six-Seven) is great for breakfast – we went there each day. Starting the day looking out on the water feels just right (just get a table instead of a booth – the booth’s seats are uncomfortable.) The hotel’s location was every bit as good as we had hoped – most of our rental car expense was unnecessary. You can walk to a long list of attractions. From the Edgewater, we hit the following on foot:

• Seattle Art Museum - Not bad, but don’t put it on your must see list
• Olympic Sculpture Park – Very close and worth a look
• Space Needle – WAY cool with an unbelievable panoramic Metro view
• Smith Tower – Another great view from an older building near Pioneer Square
• Pikes Place Market – Touristy, but what would you expect? Worth a look
• Underground Tour – Overrated, like paying to tour someone’s filthy basement
• REI – I was all geeked about seeing this, as I thought it was REI’s biggest location. Turns out the Denver facility is bigger
• Argosy Cruise – We did the one hour tour around the bay without an island stop – excellent!

Our Edgewater room was clean and well maintained with comfortable beds. If I were to quibble about anything, it would be minor items. For example, if you are located at the far end of the building as we were, the hall to get to your room from the lobby/front desk/restaurant is kind of a hike, and the narrow hall was sometimes crowded with cleaning carts. Reminded me somewhat of the hike to your room at the Vegas resorts.

Also, the room taxes in the State of Washington are really a piece of work – our statement showed both a room tax of 15.6% and also a daily sales tax. These 2 taxes came to over 20% of the room price on some of the days – in a word, DOH! Clearly not the Edgewater’s fault, but be prepared. They stick it to the tourists in Washington State.

In addition, the cleaning people consistently placed the Edgewater Teddy Bear on my travel partner’s bed after cleaning the room instead of mine. This was an obvious injustice, and very insulting. Just kidding, of course….

None of these issues amounted to anything substantial. On the whole, the Edgewater hotel is a beautiful thing, the kind of a thing that makes you want to come back, a happening thing of which I have multiple positive post-visit mental images. Why would you consider any other thing? GET ON THE WATER, STAY AT THE EDGEWATER, AND DO YOUR SEATTLE THING.

Room Tip: Stay on the water side
1  Thank Travelling_Frank

We love to see the detail and the heartfelt comments shared in reviews about The Edgewater and Seattle. Interesting to read other’s perspective and thank you for taking the time to do this.

We look forward to your return and we suggest you take the left side bed in the room as that is where the Bear likes to sleep! Always the left!! It is a Northwest thing.

Reviewed 3 June 2011

This hotel is amazing, great service, has a restaurant with a great view. The staff is very helpful and willing to go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The restaurant in the hotel has amazing food, and reasonably priced.
This hotel is centrally located 8 blocks from the Space Needle, and 3 blocks from Pike Place market. There are a variety on great little restaurants and cafe's within walking distance of the hotel if you don't feel like eating in the hotel restaurant.
If you are taking a cruise this is the best place to stay as it is right on the pier and staff at the hotel will be able to walk your luggage over to the pier where your ship is departing from.
All in all this was an amazing experience and I will definitely stay there again when I go back to Seattle.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Roshni B

And we are very proud of our Six Seven restaurant. We take great pride in that it is NOT your typical hotel restaurant at all and actually a local’s favorite.
Thank you for giving our staff the high marks as you did. They are a great group of people that love what they do.
We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 1 June 2011

We went to Seattle for our honeymoon over the weekend, and booked the hotel and flight through Alaska Vacations. We were already getting a really great rate due to booking the trip that way, but when we went to check into the hotel, they upgraded our room to a Junior Suite at no additional charge since it was our honeymoon. The room was beautiful, with a great deck right on the water. It was clean and I LOVED the bed; the sheets are high quality, which is a huge plus for me, and the bed was extremely comfortable. I also loved the bathroom; no tub, but the BEST shower ever! I had read other reviews and several mentioned the noise level, but we noticed none at all. A little hallway noise, perhaps, in the morning, but VERY little. My only complaint was that the coffee isn't marked on the menu as being a charged item, so I was a little annoyed at being charged $5 to make coffee in the room. One, this is the first hotel I have ever been to that charged for the in-room coffee pot. Second, since it wasn't clear that there was a fee, I wasn't prepared. Same with the phone; I made two TOLL FREE calls and was charged $1.00 for each call, which didn't make sense to me. However, all in all, those are mild complaints (though I am glad I didn't end up accidentally costing us a LOT of extra $$!), and I would definitly stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: We loved the Jr Suite on 4th floor!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hesklj
DaveCocks, General Manager at The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2011

Your review is greatly appreciated and very happy that you enjoyed The Edgewater on your honeymoon. We look forward to having you back on your first anniversary if not before, then of course every anniversary after that!
Regarding being charged for in room coffee. We provide FREE coffee/decaf and an assortment of teas. These are placed next to the coffee maker. WE do charge for additional coffee from the in room personal bar once removed. And yes we do charge local call fees for toll free calls as well. This is standard practice in this type of hotel and resort.
Again we are very pleased you enjoyed yourself and look forward to your return.

Reviewed 31 May 2011

5 of us stayed here before and after an alaskan cruise we took. the rooms are spacious, the views spectacular, the staff friendly and attentive. the beds were so cozy . we loved the fireplace and the bathroom. the mini bar was good. the restaurant was amazing, the crab florentine eggs benedict were delicious and we were missing them today when we woke up at home. i would, and have already recommended the edgewater to friends and family. i cannot wait to return to seattle and will only stay here. last the location on the water was beautiful and convenient to everything or it was a short cab ride away.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends

We certainly appreciate these comments and thank you for taking the time to post this review. We hope to see you back very soon!
Hope you are able to return in the very near future!

Reviewed 31 May 2011

Wonderful hotel. We checked in on a Thursday night, I reserved a waterfront room. They immediately upgraded us to the Beatles Suite, which was unbelievable. Amazing room literally over the water (water runs underneath your room). Great view of the cruise ships coming in and out of port. The hotel has an Alaskan cabin feel to it. My wife and I both loved it and wouldn't stay anywhere else in Seattle.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 May 2011

This hotel was one of the first on the list to come up on my Orbitz search. It sounded enchanting--'The only waterfront hotel in Seattle'--which is apparently true. I found all of the staff to be very friendly and welcoming, and the hotel has a charming 'northwestern rustic' atmosphere, decor, and room furnishings. Here's where things fell apart: I received e-mailed confirmation, yes confirmation, of my reservation for initially two rooms--one standard waterfront room and one 'city family suite'. Both were expensive by my standards (and budget) at the upper two hundred dollar per night level. I was entertaining three friends, plus myself, and decided that the suite alone would offer sufficient sleeping space, since it has two double beds, plus a queen-sized sofa bed. I then cancelled the smaller 'waterfront' room by phone and received e-mail confirmation. I will say that all of my e-mail confirmations were prompt and inviting. I will also say that the staff were generally friendly and did their best under circumstances that were sometimes beyond their control. This was especially true of the night front desk and front door staff, who made every effort to be gracious and as accommodating as the situation allowed. However, when we arrived shortly after midnight the first night, we were told, in a perfunctory manner, that our suite was no longer available (no explanation, except to say that our nightly rate was reduced by $100) and were summarily, the FOUR of us (and NONE of us four men normally sleep together), put into a room with only TWO double beds. They then provided a TWIN-sized rollaway bed, which was quite bulky and REALLY crowded this significantly smaller room than had been confirmed originally. Again, this was in the middle of the night when were tired from traveling, and caused considerable consternation and stress among the four of us. I finally went back to the front desk (a LONG walk BTW), and asked if they had any additional rooms. The night clerk said they had one left, a small room with one queen bed, which I slept in for the night. The next day, I spoke with the first of two managers on duty. She herself admitted not knowing why were denied our original suite and seemed truly dumfounded that this had happened at all. Then she agreed to not charge us 'anything' for the first night. This was later retracted by the both managers, who then charged us for the double-bed room. The next afternoon, we were finally moved into the suite, which met our sleeping requirements, and were quoted a set discounted price for all four nights. However, when I received my final bill, the price was changed, upwardly and significantly, night-by-night. The clerk on duty seemed confused by the complexities of the bill, and the second manager from the day before, was on the phone. According to my calculations, we were overcharged by approximately $ 105.00, including a movie charge that the very friendly but somewhat confused clerk did research and told me was an error. The movie charge was taken off (thank you), but rather than continue to haggle, for the 4th or 5th time with one of the managers, I decided to try to work things out, via e-mail, with Mr. David Cocks, the General Manager. While this hotel certainly offers terrific harbor views, from both its lobby and its restaurant and bar areas (and also has rooms that face the water, which we didn't have), I must say, with sincere regret, that the booking and billing hassles that I experienced definitely do NOT justify the high prices, nor the waterfront location. Though uniquely positioned on the harbor, there are also several other hotels just one street from the waterfront as well, and the harborfront, several miles of it, is easily accessible on foot from any of them. I had also hoped to bring professional associations here from conferences. I am with Mensa and several healthcare professional organizations. NO WAY!!!-----my medical colleagues and fellow Mensa 'geniuses' would have my HEAD!

Room Tip: Book well ahead for best options.
5  Thank DrSc0tt

Dr. Scott did indeed contact me and I am most appreciative that he did. We were able to review the situation together and indeed make the appropriate “amends”. We look forward to his return.