“Good but could be great”

The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel
Ranked #40 of 102 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Summary:
This could be an excellent hotel but it suffers from a few things that make it just a good hotel. Service is good but not amazing (see below) and some of the decor is updated some not. Its better than average but not what I would call very good, thought I thought the average rating was too low. Both rooms I was in did not resemble the pictures on the web page and were more dated.

Full disclosure before I give any further information, this hotel was booked on Priceline.com "Name Your Price" and I paid significantly less than what the room would have cost if booked directly through the hotel or on other webpages. I did not know in advance which hotel I would be at.

I was surprising my girlfriend who was on a girls trip in Seattle at the same time. I was alone the first night and with her the second night.

Word of caution, the Edgewater is very close to the train tracks which are heavily used. A number of times I had to wait for a train to go buy to get where I wanted to go. If you are walking there are foot overpasses either direction from the hotel.

Arrival at the hotel:

The hotel is in an excellent location walkable to many areas that visitors would want to go in Seattle. The hotel itself actually sits on a peer over the water. Parking is a HUGE premium in this area and the "valet" parking at the edge water is expensive, but I was not surprised by this. I recall parking being around 36 or 38 dollars per day. Comparison, a short walk away at the Cruise Ship Terminal costs around 22 per day so the Edgewater is not unreasonable.

On my arrival a bride and groom were having their wedding photos taken. There is a large fireplace at the entrance and it is very pretty. I was greeted quickly and the valet took the car and my bags out quickly. This was fine, I had a number of bags and I was not offered help into the hotel. Luckily for me everything stacked onto my roller and I was off.

No one grabbed the door for me on my first entrance however when I did finally get into the hotel I was greeted by a man standing behind some sort of a podium desk. He said hello and did not offer to help me with my bags. I walked into the "lobby" area and waited in line to be helped. There were two clerks on and four people (two being helped) including myself.

Check in:

The clerk at the front was very friendly. She confirmed my information and advised me that I would be in a city view room with a queen bed. I enquired about upgrading and she advised me there was a room "quite a number of classes" higher than mine, with a water view and king bed that was available for $50 a night. I opted not to do this for the first night as I was along but advised her that I would consider it for the second night when my girlfriend would be with me. She did not offer any other classes of room or any other upgrade options which I found strange.

The hotel is going for a rustic theme with antler chandeliers and exposed wood. The lobby is nice and does not look dated.

Room:
My room was small and the decor matched the lobby of the hotel. The bathrooms had been recently redone but seemed peculiar in the "theme" of the rest of the hotel. Polished chrome and granite everywhere, the bathroom was very dark it appeared aesthetics were more important to the designer than the function as all fixtures produced very little light. Large glass shower, no tub.

The bed also seemed new, the linens were of a nicer class and there was a flat screen TV in the room.

Every room at the Edgewater features a fireplace which is how the room is actually heated. My room was quite hot when I entered and I attempted to turn on the air conditioning. To spite turning the thermostat down to 65 degrees the room would not cool off nor blow cold air. I had to resort to opening the window, which was fine as it was December the room cooled fast.

Other than the new bed linens and TV the room itself was dated. The fireplace took up a large chunk of the room and the room had clearly been designed for an old style TV to be above the fireplace. It had since been removed and just cupboard doors covered the hole where the TV used to be. To place the flat panel they had to put a small console table in which ate up valuable space. They also crammed in a wing back chair and another smaller chair into the room, however this left me with only enough room for one bag. Had my girlfriend been there we would not have had space for both our bags.

The room was clean. There was a reception for a wedding on my floor and to spite the noise they produced I was unable to hear them in my room. I sleep well.

Upgrading:
The next morning I went to see about upgrading the room for the night. I was confused when they asked me what price I had been quoted. While I was tempted to say a lower amount I was honest and quoted the $50 that had been told to me.

The process at the front desk went smoothly. Again I was not offered any other classes and I was not told what I was upgrading too until I asked. They then told me that they had two types of room I could upgrade too: King bed with a view tub or king bed with a balcony. I opted for the balcony as I had no interest in the tub. Im not sure where they would have stuck me had I not asked.

Brunch:
I had brunch in the restaurant at the the hotel. The service was great and the food was excellent. It was hotel prices meaning not inexpensive but I expected that. My server was excellent really really top shelf. The experience was great. I then left to pick up my girlfriend.

Arrival with the Girlfriend:
This time on arrival there was no one to come and greet us and open the car door. There were a number of cars that appeared abandoned at the front. I got out and retrieved my girlfriends bag and had to approach the valet desk to give them my keys. I was surprised to find two males a the desk and several others coming and going out of the room. Again no help was offered with the bag.

The door was opened for us this time entering but again no one offered help with the bags. I dropped her bags in the old room as the upgraded room was not clean yet and we headed out to see Seattle.

We went to Pike Place Market and picked up a few bottles of wine and some meats and cheeses for dinner.

When we arrived back at the hotel the entry was was empty. We were greeted by the valet staff, the door was opened for us and we were greeted again by staff in the entry way.

We were advised that the upgrade room was ready and that our bags had been moved.

The second room:
This room was quite large and the decor matched the lobby and the last room I was in of the hotel. The bathroom had also been recently redone but in the same peculiar "theme" of the last room with polished chrome and granite everywhere. This bathroom was literally 3 times the size of the last but had the EXACT same vanity toilet and shower. There would have been ample room for a tub but there was just dead space.

The bed also seemed new, the linens were good. There was a shoddy 4 post bed constructed around the actual bed frame, it was made from what looked like poplar trees and when I leaned on it I thought it was going to fall apart. All for looks.

We opened the door to the balcony and turned on the fireplace, this kept the room around 74 degrees to spite it being quite cool outside.

Again parts of this room were dated the fireplace had clearly been designed for an old style TV to be above the fireplace. It had since been removed and just cupboard doors covered the hole where the TV used to be. There was tones of room for bags for both my girlfriend and myself and the room was still walkable/useable even with both are bags "out".

The room was clean. We sleep well.

Room service:
I called to see if we could get plates and knives brought up to the room for our meats and cheeses (luckily wine glasses and a cork screw were already in the room). I called room service and when I asked I was told "Were running about an hour behind right now, it will be much faster for you if you just go down to the restaurant and get them yourself". While I appreciate the honesty, an apology would have been easy and appreciated. While I can appreciate that they are running behind that is not my problem and they should be "sorry" for being that way. This is a hotel after all.

Overall the hotel is fine. The rooms need some upgrading though it appears that the bathrooms were the priority. The bathrooms are very nice but again don't seem to fit with the rustic feel of the rest of the hotel. Unfortunately the little things really drag this hotel down, not offering to help with bags, not having enough staff, running behind, clogs at the entry way and so many "classes" of room make it confusing to me at least. Over all I would stay here again, the location is great but not at the price that they have on their web page.

Room Tip: Get the water side, its quieter and the rooms seem bigger.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank M_Ste_Phen_R2014
Troy B, Manager at The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

We're happy to have welcomed you to our Edgewater Hotel, and we thank you for taking the time to lend such thoughtful feedback of your visit. It's certainly a pleasure to be able to share our site with first time guests, and we're happy to hear that the overall experience was an enjoyable one. That said, we appreciate your attention to detail, and we will certainly share your thoughts with the team regarding attentiveness and continued upgrades across our property. We'd love to share this continued evolution with you, and we hope that you'll reach out the next time you're in the Seattle area. All our best.

There are newer reviews for The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Stayed here December 30th 2013. Room was nice so was the view. Unfortunately the maid staff is horrible. They walked in on me naked while I was getting into the shower. Worst experience ever. I will never stay here again. The maid didn't knock. Also they walked in prior slamming the door waking us up twice starting at 7am. Even with the do not disturb sign. I have never dealt with this type of service in any hotel I've stayed at in the past. When I turned on the shower my fiance yelled at me pointing to the door at a maid who had let themselves in I was infuriated. We were staying in the king suit where the bathroom was open next to the door and the entire room. It was so embarrassing and when I informed the front desk they just said they would talk to the maid management about the situation. When we checked out it was new years eve, it was probably crunch time for maid service but it doesn't justify my embarrassment for a future guest. They valued getting their job done fast and their future guest over my stay for my birthday. I've stayed at other hotels in Seattle and I recommend the Alexis Kimpton or the Marriott Seattle Waterfront hotel their staff was excellent.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Emily2014
Reviewed 31 December 2013

The ocean view room was picturesque. It provided an unobstructed and beautiful view of the Puget Sound; it was rustically designed, very clean, and romantic. The bathroom needed more light while getting ready, but otherwise it produced the perfect ambiance for the footed tub and stone shower. I loved the warmth from the fireplace which allowed for open windows and the fresh breeze. Prior to booking, I was concerned about reviews that complained of excess noise from trains and ships. There was a lot of rail and water traffic, but even as a light sleeper, I was undisturbed.
The breakfast and service at the hotel restaurant was great and the view was superb.
The free hotel shuttle was great for occasions in which we didn’t want to walk, but the hotel was within walking distance of all of our destinations, some of which included The Space Needle, Century Link Field, and Pike’s Place Market.
During checkout there was an inaccurate charge to our room, but it was quickly and easily corrected.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

We're so happy to have created a relaxing Seattle getaway for you, and we thank you for taking the time to lend such kind words of your visit. As noted, we take great pride in the details, and we're glad to hear that these and our regional accessibility were such memorable elements of your stay. We'd love the opportunity to host you again soon, and we encourage you to reach out as you stage return travels to the region. Thanks again for your time and review!

Reviewed 31 December 2013

A big thanks to the Edgewater for making my wife and my stay so nice. Very elegant hotel, excellent food, and an incredibly welcoming friendly staff. A special thanks to Darijan and Kayla for being such friendly and understanding host. We will be making the Edgewater a tradition whenever we come down. thanks again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

It's such a pleasure to have been able to lend our site and services to your honeymoon, and we thank you for taking the time to lend us such kind words of your visit, Dustin. We'll be sure to pass your praises along to the team, and we look forward to hosting your returning visits. Thanks again for your time and review, and all our best in the new year ahead!

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I have lived in Washington my entire life and have always wanted to stay at the Edgewater, but never have gotten around to it. Fortunately, my husband and I finally made it happen and we loved every minute of it! We were so impressed with the gorgeous hotel's attention to detail. Our room had a romantic, cozy lodge feel with a fireplace, claw-foot soaking tub, and a beautiful view of the Puget Sound. We had a late check-in time (we had dinner at El Gaucho beforehand, which was also wonderful) and upon arrival we were greeted by a smiling, friendly Kayla Graham at the front desk. She was incredibly helpful and kind, and got us into our beautiful room in no time flat. Thanks, Kayla, and thank you Edgewater Hotel! We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Spring for the water view!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Troy B, Manager at The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2013

It's such a pleasure to hear from local guests like yourself, Ellen, and we're thrilled to hear that your Edgewater visit was such a memorable one. We'd love to have you back for dinner or an overnight at your next convenience, and we hope that you'll reach out to our team the next time you crave a memorable escape. Thanks again for your time and kind feedback, and all our best of the new year ahead!

Reviewed 30 December 2013

I planned a weekend getaway to surprise my husband for his 50th birthday, he likes to stay in very nice places so I thought "the Edgewater" would be the perfect place! I was a little embarrassed!! This hotel is clean but very simple and pretty outdated! Nothing fancy!! We have paid way less and stayed in much nicer hotels!!! And this was the noisiest hotel room we have EVER stayed in, as we were listening to the shockingly loud party next to us! every ding of the elevator, yes, we could hear every ding and what we think must have been the kitchen above us, I couldn't help to think of how much I was paying for this "POSH" room!!!! If you are trying to impress, do not stay here!! Lesson learned!!! oh and we stayed in the Penthouse!!!

1  Thank Koby427

While it's always a pleasure to share in special occasions alongside our guests, we're dismayed to hear of your unsatisfactory experience on site. Naturally, we aim to provide each of our guests with an unrivaled escape, and we're sorry that your visit fell short of the mark. We encourage you to reach out to our team at your next available opportunity; we would love the chance to speak more with you regarding this stay. Many thanks in advance for your time and all our best.

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Great place to stay while we visited our daughter for Christmas. Within walking distance to apartments in Bell Town and to the beautiful sculpture garden and walkway along the Sound. Having a room with a view and a fireplace made it easier to spend Christmas in a hotel even thought we did our celebrating and dinners at our daughter's apartment. Still felt special on Christmas morning. Ask for a water view with a balcony. We had drinks in the lobby which is beautiful but did not try the restaurant.

Room Tip: Water view with a balcony.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Troy B, Manager at The Edgewater, A Noble House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

We're so happy to have been able to lend our site and services to your holiday stay, and we thank you for taking the time to lend such exceptional words with us. We'd love to host your next visit to the area, and we encourage you to reach out to the team as you plan return travels to the area. Thanks again for your time and review, and all our best in the new year ahead.