“Sorrento 2-day stay”

Ranked #24 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Healdsburg, California
“Sorrento 2-day stay”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This is a fabulous hotel, especially for the price. Every part of it was enjoyable - exceptional staff, gorgeous decor, supremely comfy beds, stunning bathrooms. I will stay there for all of my Seattle business stays whenever I can in the future.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
SamJohnsonSr, General Manager at Hotel Sorrento, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thank you for the great review, we appreciate it! We look forward to having you as our guest in the future. My best, Sam Johnson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Oregon
Reviewed 25 February 2012

A gem of a hotel located near Seattle Univerisity and Pill Hill. I stayed here alone for two nights, and loved it. The staff were very warm and generous. A glass of wine was waiting at check in, hand the rooms were clean, well appointed, and the beds comfortable. It is an old hotel, so the elevator is small (which is charming) and the plumbing a little slow to bring up the hot water (which is a shame as they must waste a lot of water.) They have a restaurant which I did not go to because it was more a meat lovers place. But the lounge was quiet and comfortable. I sat by the fire and ordered wine and read and just had a wonderful time all by myself.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Come and visit us again and again, we would love to have you! We hope to see you soon! My best, Sam Johnson
Texas
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I was in town for a family wedding. The couple chose The Sorrento as one of two in which they had blocks of rooms (the other was the Four Seasons). I had several questions in the weeks before the arrival, and the staff was always very knowledgeable and helpful, making dinner reservations for me the first night at the Hunt Club, and arranging for transportation back to the airport (I had made my own arrival arrangements).

The car service they offer was a great help. Reservations can only be made the day you need the car, but both Friday and Saturday I was able to book the car for two trips each day (morning and afternoon, not evenings). On Friday, they figured out for me where a courthouse was located. The drivers were always prompt and friendly. You can call for a pick-up to return to the hotel, but not book a return. If the car is available, they will come get you. I used cabs or rode with friends and family on my return trips.

I also used the safety deposit boxes, which are available 24/7. There is no private room, you access your box directly at the front desk.

The room key is electronic, but rather than being a key card, it resembles a flash drive, and has a rather large tag on it. The combo of the tag and the key itself made it too large to fit into an evening purse. I don't know the purpose of the tag as there was neither a room number nor the hotel name on it. The key itself would've been small enough to fit in my purse.

The Beauty Bar which is shown as being in the hotel is actually a spa at the Fairmont Olympic a few blocks away. I used them for a make-up session before the wedding as I was to be in formal family pictures that night.

The Hunt Club was a bit noisy, with music playing from overhead speakers. When being seated, I asked to be moved away from an overhead speaker and they accommodated me. At my new table there was a group of 6 older guests next to me who because of hearing problems and issues with hearing aids were having great difficulties conversing. When they brought the problem to the attention of the hostess, they were moved to an adjacent room in the restaurant where it was much quieter, which I thought was a nice touch.

I had a problem with the flapper valve in the toilet not closing properly the first day, but when I called to report it, it was fixed within two hours. Pretty good! Others have mentioned issues with the HVAC system. It is the older kind, controlled by a unit under the window, with no thermostat, just different fan speeds and and dial for warmer or cooler temperatures. It took a bit of experimenting, but I was finally able to adjust it to my satisfaction. However, I would suggest at their next renovation that they upgrade to a thermostat system.

A small quibble was the location of the full-length mirror, which was hung in the darkest corner of the room, next to the walk-in closet, so the door to the closet blocked the mirror when it was opened. Even with all lights on and with light from the windows (not much from the windows in gray, rainy Seattle!), it was difficult to see. I suggested to them that it be hung instead inside the very large walk-in closet (almost a small room), which is very well lit.

I had requested a room on the side of the hotel away from the main entrance and the hospitals nearby. I don't know if it was just a quiet weekend, but I never heard a single siren from ambulances.

Wireless internet service was free and had a very fast connection.

For breakfast and lunch I ate at the Corner Cafe across the street, which has very reasonable prices and the food is quite good. You also can buy bakery items there (breakfast rolls and cookies). I thought both breakfast and lunch were a bit overpriced at the hotel.

There really are no restaurants suitable for dinner within walking distance of the hotel, but there are many a cab ride away either in downtown or up on Capitol Hill. As my Friday and Saturday dinners were part of the wedding celebration I never tried any of them.

If you plan on walking down into town, be aware that Seattle is notorious for the steepness of the hills coming up from the water. Many of the buildings on 1st thru 4th Avenue actually have elevators that make a stop at 2nd Street as well as the 2nd floor, etc., as a consequence.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dancergal
Thanks for your very comprehensive review, I know that it took a lot of time to put it together. As you noted we have some great services that we offer, but being a historic building can sometimes post challenges. Your review was fair, and we appreciate it. My best, Sam Johnson
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Check in (with Jackie) was wonderful. She was welcoming and very kind. Our room was so comfortable and homey. We felt like we were in a luxurious home. Decor beautiful and elegant. Sheets were silky perfection. All of the bedding and towels fresh and clean. Bed perfectly comfortable. Wonderful nights of sleep. Much needed as we were in process of moving from AK to VA. The Sorrento was the perfect respite for us during the long transition. Love the charming, historic feel of the hotel but all of the modern luxuries are there. Take a look at the book in the lobby about the history of the hotel. Interesting especially if you like history. The valet parking staff was excellent. Alex and Cody were prompt, attentive, and very informative. My only suggestion for the hotel is to offer some vegan meal options on their room service
menu.

• Stayed February 2012
Thanks for the great review.. we appreciate the kind words and comments! My best, Sam Johnson
Fort Collins, Colorado
Reviewed 9 February 2012

The Sorrento served as our Seattle home base for the weekend. We were within walking distance to downtown, given some wonderful restaurant suggestions from the concierge, and enjoyed live music each night in the hotel's lounge. They offer a car service to anywhere within 2 miles of the hotel, so they picked us up from dinner one night too. The beds were comfortable, rooms spacious, and bathrobes soft.
Can't say enough about how accommodating the staff was, and how personalized our experience was; we were greeted by name when we returned to the hotel throughout the weekend, and it was very welcoming. Also, the lemon drops were a perfect refresher and sweet treat at the reception desk!
We will definitely return to the Sorrento when we're in Seattle again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank outdoorjo
We appreicate your great review and look forward to having you stay with us again in the future. My best, Sam Johnson
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I and three of my colleagues had the pleasure of staying at the Sorrento on a recent business trip. Although we only had a one night stay in Seattle, I must say how please we all were that we had chosen the Sorrento. Whether speaking of the room condition, staff, amenities, fitness area or our dining experence at the Hunt Club the first word that comes to mind is "Class"!
It truely is an architectural gem that has been tastefully moderenized to meet all your needs and at a price that is reasonable. I would not hesitate to recommend the Sorrento. Well done and thank you.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Thanks for the positive review, I am glad that we were the right place for you to stay during your business trip. Come and see us again soon! My best, Sam Johnson
Sequim
Reviewed 25 January 2012

We have stayed here several times because of the hotel's proximity to medical facilities and it is such a welcome respite. The staff is just wonderful and always accommodating from the front desk to housekeeping. Their beds are just wonderful and I always sleep better than at home.
I love the french press coffee in the rooms along with the extra thick towels and bathrobes. The furniture is starting to show wear a little, but is still comfortable.
The fireside room is a wonderful place to unwind and the bar is a true classic that is hard to find these days with its warm, wood interior and always incredible bartenders and wait staff.
This is my favorite hotel in Seattle.

Room Tip: The junior suite is a highly recommended upgrade from the standard rooms.