“Will never stay here again”

Travelodge Seattle University
Ranked #91 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Atascadero, California
“Will never stay here again”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

All three women staff members were incredibly rude, I felt like I was around a group of disgruntled employees. A saving grace was the one male staff member who was polite and helpful. The back building rooms were ancient, poorly cared for and should be razed! This Travelodge is a disgrace to the Wyndham name. They take full advantage of the captive travelers that have no other place close to the university to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Patcee2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I cannot even begin to fully express how disgusted I was with this property and the staff. My first impression was the smell of the office that REEKED of cigarettes for a non-smoking hotel. Then I proceeded into the main corridors and the smell did not improve. There was a very strong MUSTY/Chemical smell throughout the building.

Overall first impressions were that this is a very run-down property - not at all like depicted in the hotel photos…and that if this what they claim is 'renovated' I shudder to think of what the property looked like pre-renovation.

My bathroom linens were noticeably dirty upon arrival, the carpets filthy…the bedside table sticky…and the tv's reminded me of the 80's…I mean come on - flat screen tvs are not that expensive anymore…even in 2012 when the property was purportedly updated/renovated!

Now for the BEST part…my first room was 209 where my daughter was bitten by bed bugs! She complained to me as she was going to bed that she had these bites all over her hands…I looked and while I new they looked like bed bug bites I really hoped it wasn't the case…then about 10 sec later we saw an adult bed bug on the comforter! I immediately called the office and their (his…Bob/Rob?) first response was to give me new sheets!!!! I said, we both know that won't solve the problem. Then he told me he only had one more room…so at nearly midnight I had to pack up our room and move to room 101 (first floor - no elevator)…and he didn't even so much as apologize for the inconvenience, etc.

Room 101 was even worse than 209…it was right next to a hotel exit/entrance door…the hotel staff come through that door what seems like every 10 mins during parts of the day/early morning…and when the door slams shut - the door and windows in room 101 SHAKE!

The HVAC unit is almost useless…the room was really cold…but we could not stand the 747 engine noise levels the unit put off.

And….now I was getting bitten by bed bugs and my daugther had about 4 times more bites than before.

Sandy in the front office - whose demeanor left a lot to be desired at the best of times - shuts right down as soon as she senses a complaint coming. Shirley (manager?) said because we didn't find PROOF of any bed bugs in the second room, then they must not have an issue….despite the fact that our bodies bore the physical proof. And anyone with the IQ of a 10 year old knows that these buggers are good at hiding…and you may well have bed bugs (they don't always even hide in the BEDS) without you seeing them. If a guest is getting bitten by bed bugs - YOU HAVE BED BUGS!

They (at my insistence) took off 1 nights stay from my bill (they night I switched rooms), but everyone I have spoken too said I should not have had to pay for any of it.

I arrived home at 11pm at night and had to deal with the quarantine of my belongins before i could even bring my things into my home. And 1 week later my daughter and I still suffering from the physical (and visual) repercussions of these bed bugs.

I travel extensively for my children's volleyball, cheer, and swim tournaments/competitions/meets. This particular stay was my 4th weekend away in the previous 5 weeks…and I have NEVER been so disgusted with the way the property was run/misrepresented and the staff…this will be my LAST stay at a travelodge.

Oh, and don't let me forget to mention the cleaning/maintanence staff. I overheard the male cleaning staff joking in a very inappropriate nature about the young volleyball players staying in the rooms they were cleaning (my daughter's teammates….they are 14 years old!). And the maintenance staff could easily be confused for homeless pan-handlers…and appeared to be under the influence of some combination of drugs/alcohol. Hardly felt confident/safe with those people entering our rooms!

The ONLY upside was that this location was convenient to the UofW where were needed to be…but if felt like a slum compared to the very upscale mall across the street from it!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Jill B
shirley3591, Manager at Travelodge Seattle University, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Thank you for your input about the room you stayed in at our Travelodge. Please know that we took immediate action and had the room professionally inspected for bed bugs since you mentioned you found one. We took the precaution of treating the room too. We know that the world is experiencing a bed bug pandemic. Infestations are not uncommon in the accommodation industry, but we are making every effort to keep on top of this. In our organization, we are trained to inspect our rooms and we treat the rooms when needed. I want you to know that we are proactive and we are sorry.

We are having a professional come in to retraining our housekeepers and Maintenance to make sure they are reporting when they do find a bed bugs.

I do apologize for the inconvenience you have inconvenience to you during your stay with us.

Travellers are raving about these Seattle hotels