“Nice place to stay, convenient to UWash”

University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #29 of 103 Hotels in Seattle
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I was third person to sleep in a newly renovated room - loved the setup, higher sink and big shower with no tub. The bed was comfortable. No clock in the room, but the front desk made prompt wake-up calls. The TV only got channel 3 the first night - but was fixed by the second night. Free breakfast had hard-boiled eggs, french toast (in the toaster) or mini muffins, juice, coffee and bread to toast. Neighborhood was a bit deserted at night, but I had no problems. Overall, a very good experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Dear Mary J,

Thank you for your review! It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our renovation mock-up room. Your review lets us know we are the on the right track. I apologize you were lacking an alarm clock, I will be sure to fix this right away! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.

All the best,

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I came to Seattle for the Snow Leopard Festival and the University Inn was recommended. My whole trip was great in large part to staying at the UI. When I made my reservation I asked for a balcony room and although the room couldn't be guaranteed I was told they would try. Well, I got a balcony room - a great room on the corner of Roosevelt. It was clean, quiet, spacious and just right for one person. The room was tastefully decorated and I loved the colorful throw pillows on the beds.

The shuttle bus service was my saving grace. It took me downtown and back, to the zoo and back ... it was very punctual, the drivers were pleasant and professional. The continental breakfast was sufficient (I opted for just a bagel and cream cheese) and the Starbucks coffee was always there. Instead of using the paper cups I used the ceramic mugs from the room ... more eco-friendly and holds more too! The lobby was inviting and comfortable; the front desk staff always available and personable.

If there was one minor disappointment it was the soap thing. I read an earlier review about there being no bar soap. The manager replied that it was available at the front desk. When I checked in I asked the clerk about the soap. She said they didn't have bar soap, opened up a drawer with other toiletries and looked, and mentioned that there was a little store up the street where I could get bar soap. I explained a TripAdvisor review by the manager indicated that bar soap was available - she looked in the drawer again and said they didn't have any. No big deal - just thought I could get bar soap.

I hope to visit Seattle again next Fall and if I do I will definitely stay at the University Inn. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone who's looking for a place to stay in the Seattle area.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Dear Wizzyliz,

Thanks for writing such a detailed review of your recent stay at University Inn. It was truly our pleasure to take care of you and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. I will be sure look into the lack of bar soap availability and remedy it immediately! We look forward to your return next fall.

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Stayed twice there a week apart.
Positives
A very helpful staff, close to U Dt, plenty of buses to take you to town. coffee in the evening.
Negatives
On my second stay the same room was double the price, which makes it way expensive for the facilities. The water in the shower takes 10 minutes to warm up. The pool is small. The previous occupant had set the alarm at 5 and it went off. The lift on the north wing is creaky.

Room Tip: Switch the alarm off.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Dear Br494,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review! I apologize for the hiccups you experienced during your stay. Please know that I will address the hot water and alarm clock issues right away. We will begin a complete renovation of our north wing elevator beginning next week which will rectify your elevator concern. We hope to welcome you back the next time you are in Seattle.

Thanks again!

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Staff was friendly and very accommodating. We thought parking might be a problem as it is so often in Seattle, but it wasn't at all. Room was very clean and updated. One of my most enjoyable hotel stays this year!

• Stayed: September 2013
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Dear Potatowife11,

Thank you for reviewing University Inn! We are thrilled when our guests tell us their stay was the most enjoyable; I will be sure to thank our team for helping achieve this! We hope to welcome you back the next time you are in the Emerald City.

All the best,

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We loved this small hotel near Washington campus. They serve cupcakes in the afternoon and breakfast in morning. Staff was very knowledgeable and helpful. You can reserve shuttle to take you to key sites in city. Rooms comfortable with Kreurig coffee makers, refrigerators & microwaves. You can also get food delivered from variety of restaurants to eat in lobby for lunch or dinner. Handicap accessible.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear CeadmileJacksonville,

Thank you for taking the taking the time to write a review. I’m glad you were able to utilize and enjoy many of our complimentary amenities! We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I stayed at the University Inn sometime back in the early 1990's and I am happy to report that it is not the same. ;-)
If you are looking a very reasonably price hotel in the U-District, I can recommend this property.
I stayed here on a Saturday for a UW football game at 4 PM, followed by a Mariners game the next day at 1 PM. I was happy with my experience and the ease of getting downtown on Sunday morning.

The Good:

1) Free Parking
2) Free Breakfast (bagels, toast, cereal, yogurt, fruit, and coffee)
3) Free WiFi
4) Walk-in shower...love it!
5) Location
6) Friendly staff
7) Able to check in at 12:30 PM
8) Flat screen TV
9) Chairs and table
10) Room and bathroom size
11) 24-7 coffee in the lobby

The not so good...

1) Going to my car with luggage and seeing some guys underwear above his jeans which were around his knees in the parking lot. And right after I ate breakfast! :-)

About a 30 minute walk to Husky Stadium and less than 10 minutes to 15th Avenue. Lots of restaurants to choose from within walking distance. Starbucks in 0.3 miles...six minutes. :-)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear drmorf,

Thank you for your detailed review of University Inn! It was our pleasure to take care of you during your sports filled weekend. I’m glad you enjoyed our hospitality and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Warm Regards,

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We booked this hotel with the express purpose of being close to University of Washington to see our son off to grad school. This is the perfect location for that, but not if you want to see downtown. Downtown Seattle is not walk able from here, you will have to drive or take a bus or the hotel shuttle and it's at least 25 minutes. The hotel was clean,comfortable and provided a nice free continental breakfast. Our room had a very comfortable queen bed with a pull out sofa, desk, microwave and fridge. The bathroom was clean and divided so that someone could shower and there was an additional sink/mirror combination outside the bathroom. There was a clean, picturesque , moderate size pool outside with a nice sitting area that we enjoyed the first day there.. In addition to the school, there are several small markets and pub like restaurants near the hotel. I enjoyed the stay very much, it had everything we needed for the purpose of getting our son to school. We did rent a car so that we could visit the sights . The hotel has a shuttle service but we didn't utilize that this trip. There is also the Portage Cafe attached to the hotel which serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. We didn't eat there this trip.

Room Tip: Good choice of hotel for visiting UW, not good location if visiting downtown Seattle
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Amanda G, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear loridemo,

Thank you for writing such a detailed review! It was our pleasure to make your stay enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in town to visit your son!