“Sufficient”

Ranked #27 of 100 Hotels in Seattle
Hermosa Beach, California
“Sufficient”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I’ll start with the positives. This hotel is conveniently located in the University District and within reasonable walking distance of the University of Washington as well as the numerous quick food establishments and services in the area. They offer a very nice shuttle service, the Pineapple Express, for trips to popular Seattle destinations as well as the University. We had an extended stay and found this hotel to be reasonable based on the area rates. There is a small pool and small parking lot. The daily complimentary breakfast is average, with previously frozen bakery goods, cereals, some fruit, coffee, etc., nothing special, yet within steps of the Portage Bay Café where you will find incredible fresh food for breakfast and lunch. The dining room is small and there is no TV in the area. The signature Pineapple muffins offered in the afternoon/evening also seemed to be defrosted.

The room we had was clean but dated. The room had a Formica counter top in the bathroom, so-so TV and furniture showing it’s age. The bed was nothing special. Also, if you don’t like wall-mounted shampoo and soap, bring your own. The Keurig in-room coffee maker was a plus. The staff was friendly and did their best to assist. The north (older) wing has the slowest elevator on the west coast (or at least it seemed so). The hotel cannot be held responsible for the unsightly neighbors, but perhaps could encourage them to clean up the area graffiti and service the clothing donation box across the street more often. All in all the hotel is ok, but not above average.

Room Tip: Ask about newer wing.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
LaceyKing, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Hello CoastieDad,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, we appreciate all your feedback. The Portage Bay Café is a great alternative for a more extensive breakfast menu as we offer a basic complimentary continental breakfast. Our signature pineapple cupcakes are from a local bakery and are delivered 3 times a week for our guests, never frozen :) We're pleased that you found our complimentary shuttle service very useful and maybe next time you can try out our bicycle program as well, with the Burke Gilman Trail running so close to us it's a very popular activity in the summer.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I checked into this hotel very early the morning of June 1st, after a dissatisfying experience at another inn. I called ahead and Fantasia, who was at the front desk, said yes, they could accommodate me, and reserved a room immediately. I walked over, and Fantasia did everything she could to get me in right then, even switching the original room to another slightly larger. She was amazingly efficient and so pleasant! The room was a good size, well appointed, and bright and colourful. I was in town for a writer's conference, and was away all day, but getting back that evening, the room was comfortable, clean, quiet. I wasn't there long enough to get a feel for much else, and didn't get a chance to enjoy the pool, but first impressions matter, I had a wonderful sleep, and the staff, especially Fantasia, was fantastic. Checkout was a breeze, and the town car reservation to the airport is handy. An excellent experience, I would stay here again, and I recommend it with no problem.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Hi Rebecca,

Thank you for the great review of your stay with us! We're always happy to help out with an early check-in whenever possible and Fantasia is great at going that extra mile! She has been a wonderful addition to our team and we are luck to have her.
Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit to Seattle!

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and I have enjoyed our 3 stays at the University Inn. It's located very close to UW and has the best rates around. The staff is eager to help with anything and very friendly. We've stayed there 3 times and wouldn't even consider anywhere else!

Room Tip: Portage Bay Cafe is attached to their building, so eat there; you'll be glad you did. Yeah ro...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
LaceyKing, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Hi Steve,

Thank you for taking the time to write a lovely review! We're so pleased to continue to welcome you back and thank you for your continued support of Pineapple Hospitality!

We look forward to your next visit to Seattle,

Vancouver
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I'm a frequent visitor to Seattle for business (3-4 visits a month) and usually stay in Bellevue. During my latest trip, I had meetings at the university and, given the generally positive TripAdvisor reviews, decided to give this place a try. All I can say is that it's difficult to believe I was staying at the same hotel!

Biggest issue: The size of my room. It was tiny by Seattle standards. The bathroom was literally the size of a broom closet. Mattress was worn and uncomfortable. The 'desk' in the room was not worthy of the name: With a lamp and coffee maker sitting on top, there was hardly any space left for my computer and work papers. I always ask for a room distant from the elevators, but the building is configured such that all room doors are close to the elevator. And noise is an issue here for a second reason: The walls are thin.

There was no ice or vending machine on my floor, so I went to the front desk to ask about these. I discovered they were in a separate wing that looked far superior to my own. So it quickly became apparent that I got stuck with the lousy wing. I suppose I could have complained and asked to move, but by this time it was already evening and I was entirely unpacked.

Still, I made the decision to ditch this place in the morning and head to a more congenial hotel. I was supposed to stay two further nights - but frankly, I'm on the road too often to put up with poor accommodations like this.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank pds209
LaceyKing, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Hello PDS209,

I thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I do apologize that your stay was not a wonderful one, this is never the experience that we want our guests to have.
I invite you to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance to you, 206.632.5057.

Again I apologize for the inconvenience and I look forward to hearing from you.

Canada
Reviewed 3 June 2014

This was a nice little hotel which was well kept and clean. The hotel itself and room were nicely decorated and spacious. The staff were all very helpful and friendly and genuinely seemed like they enjoyed working there which is rare! The complimentary shuttle was really convenient as it goes to a number of spots and the hotel is located relatively close to a lot of attractions and sites. Breakfast was good as they had a nice assortment of pastries and some juices and the food items were constantly being re-stocked as they ran low, even shortly before shutting down the breakfast. The only suggestion I would have is to have another protein choice (eg. sausages, bacon) as they only had hard boiled eggs. But overly, it was a very pleasant stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 604bob
LaceyKing, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Hello 604bob,

It's great to see that you enjoyed your time in Seattle and your stay with us! Thank you for the very nice review and we hope to welcome you back for a future stay!

Washington
Reviewed 1 June 2014

If you have kids attending UW you won't find a more convenient place to stay than The University Inn. The rooms are clean and quiet, the staff is very friendly & helpful, they offer a daily complimentary breakfast bar, it's within walking distance to the campus and they have free parking (Which is hard to come by in the city) Prices are very reasonable and they're a pet friendly establishment as well..........:)

Some of the other nice features are -

Complimentary Wireless Internet
Complimentary Shuttle Service
Seasonal Outdoor Pool
Free Laundry Facility
Complimentary Bicycles for Guest Use

Room Tip: Book your room way ahead of time on a weekend when there's a football game at Husky Stadium...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank baytrader
Hi Baytrader,

Thank you for taking the time to review the University Inn. We're glad that you found our location convenient for you needs and that our staff was very welcoming. Great tip to make your reservations early, there are always different events going on in the city and at UW that can make last minute reservations a little hard to come by.
Thanks again and I'm sure we'll see you again soon,

Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We have stayed here before. It is nicely located for the university area. Good restaurant next door. Short walk to shopping. It is also not to long a drive to downtown Seattle or the Green Lake area. It was also a great place before we drove up to the San Juan Islands. Large, clean rooms and a nice pool that we did not use. Continental breakfast in the lobby which we did use.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2Travel-4funNow,

Thank you for the great review and for choosing to stay with us again! We're pleased that we continued to live up to your expectations and could offer a great home base while you were in Seattle.
Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back soon,