“Teen daughters and I enjoyed staying”

University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel
Ranked #28 of 101 Hotels in Seattle
Idaho Falls, Idaho
“Teen daughters and I enjoyed staying”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We didn't want to afford the $500+/night hotels in the downtown area and we were glad we found the University Inn. When we wanted to go downtown a free (tips are welcomed) shuttle was available on the hour, but we also liked the university area with lots of shops, restaurants, and my teen daughters liked all the young people running around. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was quiet and the beds were comfy. Nothing fancy, but clean and more than adequate. Bicycles were available for free. Ivar's Seafood restaurant nearby was excellent. I would stay again if I go back to Seattle.

Room Tip: Our room faced 42nd Street and was quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
LaceyKing, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Hi Tom H,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We're delighted to see that you and your family enjoyed your time in Seattle and that we could be a part of that! We love anytime we have the chance to introduce the Pineapple Hospitality style to new guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Loved it. Loved it! I know a free washer/dryer is a small thing, but come on! Can you come up with another place that will do that for you? They sell you a little bag of soap for $1, also cool, and for a traveler who has been on the road for six days, this was huge. And, they had a cute yellow bike to loan me, for free, that I could ride around the neighborhood until my laundry was done. Also, free wifi. And I loved the decor, very sixties retro, not sixties tired, as if it really was from the sixties. It reminded me of my parent's house in the sixties, so I loved it. Good place to launch from. Oh yes, and the staff was very nice; no noodniks.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Hi Lou W,

We're glad that you enjoyed your stay so much! It's great that you found time to enjoy the neighborhood on one of our bicycles.
We hope to see you again if your travels bring you this way. Here's to keeping it noodnik-free! :)

Oregon
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We stayed at the University Inn recently and it was overall a good experience. The pool was nice, and the staff were excellent. The hotel is also neat and tidy. The rooms are a bit small, and the bathrooms are sort of cramped. The shower water handle has no hot/cold nomenclature on it nor does it say "pull out" for on/off which we thought a bit strange. The street in front of the hotel takes you quickly down Eastlake, and then bears right onto Stewart which zips right into downtown.
Parking is included at the hotel which is a godsend in Seattle. The breakfast was ok but was carb heavy with bagels and bread. Coffee was not up to Seattle standards--just plain old weak coffee. Overall the stay was a good one, with quick access to downtown.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Lucyandpaco,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. We are planning an extensive remodel this winter which will greatly increase the comfort of our guest rooms.
We do hope to welcome you back soon!

Chicago
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I'll start with the positives, or rather the one positive. The front desk staff was very helpful, and when I had to shorten my stay by one night, they were kind enough not to charge me for the last night of my reservation. (I had already stayed two nights.) And I guess I could say that I felt my room was safe. But that's it, for praise. The room smelled of mildew, the furnishings were far too kitschy and faux 60s for me, and the breakfast (included in room charge) was absolutely ick. Maybe Seattle is becoming one of those grossly overpriced hotel markets like NYC, but I expected more for my $200+ per night room (that includes tax). The neighborhood is absolutely unmemorable, and turns downright grungy as you head east toward the University, which is about three blocks away. And I mean seriously grungy, like people sleeping in doorways or disrobing behind a bush. I needed to be in that neighborhood because I had business at U/W, but otherwise I can't think of a reason to be at this hotel or even on this block.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
LaceyKing, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Hello Rooblue,

I appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I apologize that your experience was less than expected. We are doing a very extensive remodel of our hotel this winter which will greatly improve the comfort of our rooms. We always try to use these comments to better our hotel and the service of our guests so I thank you for your specific notes.
There are great improvements coming to this property in the near future and we hope that you may take a second look if your travels should bring you back to UW.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if there is anything that I may do for you, 206.632.5057

New York
Reviewed 14 August 2014

First of all, the friendliness and helpfulness of the hotel staff are definitely 5 stars! They arranged the car service for me among other things. BTW, the car service that they use (Ferris?) was great - friendly and reliable.

I visit Seattle every summer, and I usually stay at Watertown when going to the U-District. This summer somehow the price for Watertown was unbelievably expensive, so I took a look at the University Inn which is just a couple of blocks away, and is right at the Portage Bay Cafe.

I could get a fairy good price via Hotels.com and reserved the traditional room after checking the photos and reviews on Tripadvisor. The problem is that there was no telling on the Hotels.com site what differences between the "traditional room" and "deluxe room" were. So I reserved the traditional room thinking I would get the bathroom like in the photos. So I was shocked to find out that my room had a basic shower like a dorm! The front desk staff explained to me that there were the traditional room wing and deluxe room wing - traditional room had either a basic shower or a mini bathtub. So the bathroom photos that you see on the websites are all from the "deluxe" rooms. I would have not stayed in the traditional room if I had known the descriptions. The room and the bathroom were very clean and maintained though.

As we were in the 4th day of the trip, the laundry facility was great. But there was only one washer and one dryer. So prepare to wait for your turn.

Will I stay here agin? Most defenitely as long as I could get a deluxe room.

Room Tip: Traditional rooms are rather basic while the deluxe rooms are more like rooms at Watertown.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Cattledogs
Hi Cattledogs,

I appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I’m pleased to see that you enjoyed your overall stay with us. If you ever have questions regarding one of our properties we always suggest calling/emailing us directly as we can't always control how other sites show a hotel. We'll always have the most up to date information and we have a lowest price guarantee! :)
Please give us a call if your travels bring you back to the west coast, we'd love to help you with reservations 1.866.866.7977

Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back,

Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The shuttle service is very, very limited, the shuttle services multiple hotels and has only 13 seats. You must have a reservation for going and another for returning. Going anywhere but downtown can be very, very, very problematic (even going downtown can be as well). You can get the shuttle downtown but cannot get back. You are not aware of this until you check in and most of the seats are already taken. Calling ahead did not help much since they put me on the schedule for the wrong day. You should probably count on using a taxi or bus rather than the shuttle.
There is limited communication between the staff at the toll free number and the hotel front desk on issues such as breakfast start times (is it 6, is it 7?) with each having their own opinion and even differing by the individual.
My check in took 35+ minutes as the front desk person kept typing and typing then saying his computer went down then went to another and said the same thing as the same time his partner was steadily checking people in. She told him to use a paper copy in the file as another method of checking me in but he opened the drawer and just stared at it then saying there were no forms. The other check in person finally went over and pulled the form out and gave it to me to sign. Had she not I think I might still be standing there.
There was a general feeling that the staff was not very knowledgeable/new and most questions required a phone call to someone. I found my stay frustrating. I guess I am not used to Pineapple Hospitality.
There was a cigarette smell in the hall on the second floor. A couple was being moved because of the strong cigarette smell in their room while I was checking in. I do not fault a hotel if a rude guest smokes but I do get concerned if a room with a strong cigarette smell was given to a guest. I would think it would have been noticed by the service person or some member of the staff.
I do a lot of research before choosing a hotel. If you look at my other reviews they are usually very positive, not so in this case.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank mhuffaker
LaceyKing, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hi MHuffaker,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I appreciate you letting us know about your less than fantastic stay. I apologize for the technical difficulties during your check in process and that we didn't handle that better. Also I apologize that you found the shuttle difficult, we do share it with our sister property and some days are busier than others.
Again, thank you for highlighting some areas that we may be able to improve our services and if there is anything that I may do for you please don't hesitate to contact me at 206.632.5057

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 10 August 2014

We stayed here for our first night in Seattle and this place was wonderful! It was centrally located and easy to find. They have a parking lot for their guests which was a huge plus and lots of amenities for you to take advantage of. Had we stayed here longer we would have used their complementary washer and dryer. The bed was extremely comfortable and we fell asleep instantly. The shower had great pressure and no shortage of hot water. Their breakfast was a little on the small side but it was filling nonetheless.

All of the employees were friendly and nice to talk to. If you are staying in Seattle and are looking for a place to stay don't pass this place up!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank raindrops554
LaceyKing, Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Hi Raindrops554,

So great to hear you had a wonderful stay! We look forward to welcoming you back, hopefully for a longer stay :)
In the mean time, all the very best!