University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel
  • Fitness centre
US$456
US$395
  • Restaurant
All reviewsportage bay cafefree shuttleu districtthe burke gilman trailpineapplesister propertycontinental breakfastoutdoor poolhard boiled eggscupcakesmedical centereuropean styledeluxe roomkeurig coffee makershuttle servicefront desk staffhotel shuttle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 January 2009

We didn't have reservations and were given a room with 2 queen beds, we called and requested a room with a king bed and couch. The staff was very friendly and polite about our request. We were given another room which was perfect for us. The rooms were spotless and comfortable. There are a LOT of pillows on the very comfortable bed, white ones being feather and beige ones being foam, really nice to have so many.
If you put your order in before midnight, you get breakfast brought to your room between 8 and 10 AM. We forgot to put our room # on the menu choices and when I called to see when breakfast was coming, a polite clerk named Terrell immediately got our breakfast delivered just as ordered- yummy blueberry waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage, yogurt, coffee, all for free with the room.
We would definately stay there again.
By the way, the hotel on the block before this wanted $60 more for their rooms and we had a great view of Mount Ranier, which the other place didn't.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank happyheart921
Reviewed 18 November 2008

This was my fourth stay at this hotel in the last 4 years. I checked in on Thursday (11/13) and checked out on Monday (11/17).There is no question this hotel is a great value, as noted by the other guests.
I do have suggestions for Management to improve their front desk. I will send Management my sugestions.The front desk is the frontline- they are the first and last to see you, as well as throughout the day. Train them to say "Welcome to the University Inn..........how can I can help you today? ", rather then "last name please or hi and stare at you". It is a simple statement, but a very welcoming opening statement.
Train them to look up and say hello and smile whenever guests are passing by the front desk. Rarely did they do this, unless I initiated the hello. A guest will feel much more appreciated by this simple courtesy. I know at times, it can be very busy at the front desk, so a simple wave can even suffice. This is the kind of simple things that can bring back customers.......not the free breakfasts. Competition is tough because of the economy, so making the guest welcomed and happy should be the number one priority,

Another issue is to be sure your information is corrrect whenever it is in black and white. The black informational book in the hotel room indicates you can ask front desk to request a time for housekeeping to clean your room. I requested 9am cleaning daily and the front desk clerk typed the memo to housekeeping. They always came in the afternoon( 1:30pm and 2:30pm). I know it was a busy weekend for the hotel because of the football games, but why did I even bother making the request?
The book also gives you the hours and menu for the Portage Bay Cafe. I wanted to order a simple hamburger on Saturday and they said they only serve brunch all day. Update your book.

Also note the front desk neglected to say there was tax on the airport sedan service. The service is not $40. It is $43.50.

Would I stay again.......probably. The positives definitely outweigh the negatives. All of these issues can be resolved to make the University Inn a better hotel.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank Windwardites
linda4140, General Manager at University Inn - A Staypineapple Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2008

I have personally contacted the guest to thank him/her for the candid and detailed review. As communicated to the guest I appreciate the feedback and have already addressed the issues raised. University Inn is committed to staff training and I view this as an opportunity to freshen up our guest service as well as review our information.

Reviewed 5 November 2008

We stayed two nights at the University Hotel and recommend it to other travellers. The rooms are contemporary design and comfortable and clean. Above all the staff are very friendly and helpful - giving directions, recommending restaurants,arranging for the shuttle van. The hotel is located near the U of Washington campus and offers complimentary shuttle service to the downtown core. It was great to be able to park the car for a couple of days! In the evenings we walked 2-3 blocks to nearby restaurants in the university district.
Our room looked out over a courtyard pool in the back which was undoubtedly quieter because of less traffic noise - so you may want to book your room with that in mind. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2008

I've never written a review about a hotel before, but this is one hotel that I just had to let others know about.

Our first impression of the University Inn came when we checked in at midnight. We were greeted by three staff at the front desk who were bright, cheery, very helpful and so friendly. Our jaded Chicago minds couldn't conceive of people being so nice and friendly at midnight.

We knew we'd made a great choice when we were told that we got free breakfast in the morning with a "Make Your Own Waffle" bar. What?! Free Waffles! This was definitely the right choice for us. They also had a variety of other breakfast options for those who aren't waffle crazed. Breakfast lasts until 10AM. Other hotels we stayed at usually wrap up breakfast by 8 or 9.

Did I mention that for the free morning breakfast you can choose to have it deliverd to your room at no cost in the morning? Though we weren't too lazy to go down and get it ourselves, it seemed like a nice gesture to those who aren't able to get down in the morning.

We got to our room which was clean and well stocked with all the amenities you would find at a pricey hotel. There was also free internet access, a microwave and a mini fridge with a freezer. Also the windows open! If you're like me you'll love sleeping with the feel of fresh Seattle air blowing on your face.

The beds were comfortable and there were an option of pillows on the bed. If you have allergies, you could choose an allergy friendly pillow. I mixed and matched my pillows just because I could.

We found out in the morning that our room had a great view of Mt Rainier (BONUS!)

They have a free shuttle that takes you to some of the touristy spots and some shopping centers. We didn't partake since we rented a vehicle, but very convenient. FYI, free parking in the hotel lot is included.

Though we didn't get to go in the pool, it did look very inviting.

They have a daily afternoon snack of cheese, crackers, etc. and there is always free hot beverages in the lobby (tea, coffee, hot chocolate) if you don't want to have coffee in your room.

All in all, you won't be dissappointed if you choose this hotel. Great friendly staff who are very helpful, lots of free amenities and a great price.

We plan on staying here again when we visit Seattle next year. Maybe I'll design matching "We Love University Inn" t-shirts to wear on our next Seattle trip...dare to dream!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Future_Botanist
Reviewed 23 September 2008

The University Inn is set in the relative peace of the University District (U of Washington.) It is a great place to come home to after seeing the sights of Seattle. Their free shuttle makes it very easy to get to the major sights of Seattle. The shuttle drivers are exceptionally friendly and make good tour guides. The staff is friendly and welcoming. Also, a great complimentary breakfast is provided. It is easy to come back to the hotel after a day of sightseeing, relax for awhile and then walk up the street to the restaurant area and have a choice of a variety of menus. The UWashington campus is a short walk away with its very good Burke Museum and lovely campus. We had a very pleasant stay here and we highly recommend staying here. We definitely will stay at the University Inn if we visit Seattle again.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple